Popular Tags: [View All]
Mochara C
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A kit wargame in more than one way; first, you must assemble the counters yourself and, second, there is some opportunity for players to tighten up the rules set a bit, as they see fit.

As presented the game is very playable and reminiscent of Victory Point Games Waterloo 20 series in terms of size, presentation and complexity. Each series possesses its own "hook" -- W20 has cardplay and Edgehill brings a simple and effective chit-pull mechanic.

For the most part the rules are dead simple and fairly standard hex & counter fare. A clever special rule to model an unwise cavalry pursuit keeps things on the historical side and helps level the playing field. The combat rules are succinct to the point of being a little vague in places; a quick GeekMail to the designer assured me that I should trust my instincts and put my mind at ease where soak-off attacks and multi-unit combats are concerned. The movement rules are easy enough to grasp -- there aren't really any apart from "this unit has this many movement points", and this is where I think I'll be cooking up a house rule or two. I've no desire to rewrite the game, as I like 90% of it exactly as it is, but I will experiment with some semi-sticky ZOCs to help slow down the "run & gun" abilities that cavalry currently possess, enabling them to weave through enemy and friendly units to reach their target.
The morale and combat consequences are spot on, effective, sensible and uncomplicated.

Physically, it's a nice package, with an appealing map and colourful, easy to use counters. The download was free (get it at wargamedownloads.com) and I was out of pocket for less than $2 at Staples to get it printed up. Assembling the counters took about 25 minutes (just a little longer than the break between periods of the Blackhawks game laugh).

Once I satisfy myself with any tweaks I may make with the movement rules I plan to try adapting this rules set for use with the Royalists & Roundheads III system which, while a system I play and enjoy, is in serious need of a stable, consistent set of rules. I'll keep you posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mochara C
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Addition, Oct. 31/09
Better with the optional facing rules, which I kept forgetting to implement. Having to watch your flanks & rear limits the amount that one is willing send their cavalry too far afield.

Currently working on a hybrid rules & CRT system for the TCS ECW series and the "Markham Quads". It's mostly fleshed out - just needs to be compiled & playtested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I've just downloaded the file.
Should have read your thread first so I wouldn't have lost time to look for the site.

To think that this game was here and for free all this time.
The big challenge will be to re-produce it in a way that does it justice.

Are there any other simularly pleasantly priced games you can recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls