Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan
Netherlands
Sint-Oedenrode
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, this is my 1st review on BGG. I decided to review Atlantis a new boardgame published by Amigo. The game is for 2-4 players, but I based my review only on 2 player games.
What do you get?

Inside the box you find 84 cardboard road tiles, 24 water tiles, 4 wooden bridges, 12 wooden player tokens (3 per player), 105 movement cards, 1 cardboard start field (Atlantis), 1 finish field "Mainland" and a full colour rule sheet.
The cardboard components are of good quality and are already punched out so you can start playing right away. The movement cards are smaller than normal player cards (like goods in Catan) but appear to be of good quality.

What is it all about?
According to legend the main island of the archipel of Atlantis sunk into the ocean in a short time, while its inhabitants tried to escape and bring their belongings to the mainland as quickly as possible.

The road from Atlantis to the mainland is build by the road tiles. You move your player characters over this road by playing movement cards. Movement cards and road tiles show different items players can bring with them to the mainland.
The goal is to use your own cards as efficient as possible, grabbing the most valuable objects along the way before your opponents do and reach the mainland with all your tokens and the most points.

Gameplay
The game is explained clearly in a rule sheet (my copy is in German, but at the Essen 2009 fair a english translation was available. I guess this will appear on the Amigo website soon).

At the start of the game all road tiles are layed out to form a connection between Atlantis and the mainland. Part of the road is made by two road tiles stacked on top of each other.
In each turn a player can move one of his tokens by playing movement cards. The player token then moves to the next tile along the road (towards the mainland) with the same colour as the played movement card. You then take the previous road tile (the road tiles next to the tile where you just landed) and its value is added to your point total.
However by taking road tiles holes will appear in the road. These gaps will be filled with water tiles. You can still move over water tiles as before (i.e. by using cards) but you have to pay to get accross or build a bridge. The value to be paid is equal to the lowest valued object shown on the road tiles next to the gap. You pay by discarding movement cards or earlier gathered road tiles. When you build a bridge you can cross the water for free, but so is your opponent, so you have to think twice when and where to build your bridge.
At the end of each turn you draw new movement cards, one more than the amount of tokens that already made it to the main land. So having more people in safety gives you more cards (more movement options and more points at the end of the game), but moving quickly along the road gives less time to collect valuable objects and so creating new watery gaps.
The game ends when one player has his three Atlantians on the mainland. The other players then have to move theirs to the mainland by paying for all the water they still have to cross.
The winner is the player which the highest combined value of collected road tiles and the number of movement cards left.

What do I think of this game?
The game is a relative short (30 min.), fun, and easy to learn. The components look nice and fit with the theme. The gameplay has lots of player interaction (e.g. grabbing good road tiles or creating expensive water gaps). Of course there is a luck factor in the game, if you draw the right colour movement card you can get lucky, but the luck factor is quite well balanced with the tactical part of the game.
I recommend this game to anyone who wants to play a quick game with a touch tactical depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudi Vanderzeypen
Belgium
Meerbeek
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Much more tactical than you would expect at first sight... I'm a bit disappointed with its poor rating though, it's the ideal combination of "That's Life" and "Cartagena", it has more depth and fun than any of those and we enjoyed playing it a lot, even the kids prefer this to a real "kids" game. Definitely 8 out of 10. Beautiful game in any aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Great first review! Thank you and thanks for including the pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.