Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb

So in the review I did for this Incredibles game, the one major complaint I had was that the game should have been cooperative, considering the subject. It didn't make sense to me that the Incredibles family would try to work against each other while defeating the Omnidroid. So I tried to think of some ways to change that game to make it cooperative, but kind of spaced on that while working on other things. Then recently as I was playing Pandemic I thought, hey, why not just add the Incredibles on to that? Granted, Pandemic is a bit more complex and will take some more learning for my girls (ages 7 and almost 5) to pick up on, but as "gamer game" cooperative games go, it's really one of the more simple and accessible ones there is, and my wife and I should be able to coach our girls to play along until they learn it better. Needless to say, the Incredibles theme and characters will make them a lot more interested to play along (although they're always interested in observing and learning what they can about any game we play). They've been excitedly watching me create the Role cards and Special Events, and have already picked up on some of the basic aspects of the game watching me play it on Vassal.

So the idea was to retheme Pandemic but keep it exactly the same in terms of gameplay, so you'd be able to use the same board and cards and all that. Now, the one exception is that only two of the Special Events are the same as the base game Special Events, so you'll have to substitute when the other three are drawn, per the chart below. Some things, like Elastigirl's ability to stretch from one city to another, are a bit of a stretch, thematically (no pun intended), but I think most things are at least in the ballpark. The original subject idea was to create a new villain who had an army of self-replicating robots, but then I found the Wikipedia entry for the Incredibles video game, Rise of the Underminer, describing the Underminer and his army of polluting robots, so that seemed perfect to build on, story-wise.

This is still a work-in-progress and it'll need some more tweaks and testing, so any feedback is welcome. So far, I played one solo game and lost pretty decisively against 5 epidemics. If anything, I was hoping to make the game a little easier than it usually is. Of course, playing with 4 players is already a disadvantage, and as it is, there are no abilities to add research centers or special cure helping abilities (like the Scientist or Field Operative), so I might have to add in some more abilities or Special Events, or use some of the extra positive things like Jack Reda has in his Warp Expansion to make it a little easier to win. But for now, as it is, I would recommend using only 4 Epidemics if playing with all 4 of the roles (which is the ideal way to play for the theme).

Here are the notes/rules as they are currently...

The Incredibles: Pandemic Re-theme
Pandemic designed by Matt Leacock, published by Z-Man Games.
The Incredibles produced by Pixar Animation Studios.
All images and characters used without permission.
Variant designed by Grudunza.

Background
The Underminer has resurfaced again after his previous scheme to destroy the world with his army of Gilgenbots was foiled by The Incredibles and Frozone. This time, he has created a new kind of robot that self-replicates, called CloneBots. With his CloneBots spreading pollution around the world, the Underminer’s evil plans may succeed after all.

The Underminer has built CloneBot replicating machines in several of the major cities around the world. There is always the danger of CloneBots spawning more of their own kind, especially when several of them are together in one city, which can cause a "CloneBot Spawn" to occur. With each CloneBot Spawn, the world will grow more polluted and face the possible extinction of all living creatures.

The Underminer has developed four separate models of the CloneBots in different parts of the world, each with its own unique programming code. He also has CloneBot Interface Stations located in each city which allow for teleportation between each other and special connections to the CloneBots’ programming. Only one CloneBot Interface Station has been discovered so far, in Atlanta, but the others can be located with some effort. The Incredibles must work together to destroy the CloneBots before they spread too widely and they must discover the programming codes for each robot model to shut them all down at CloneBot interface stations.

Gameplay
Play exactly as per the normal rules of Pandemic. To win, discover the four programming codes before running out of Player Cards or before 8 CloneBot Spawns occur or before one color of CloneBots is entirely on the board.

For purposes of the theme and with reference to some of the new cards:
Drive/Ferry actions are called Move actions.
The Infection Phase is called the Replication Phase.
An Epidemic is called a CloneBot Expansion.
An Outbreak is called a CloneBot Spawn.
Cures are CloneBot Programming Codes.
Eradication is CloneBot Deactivation.
A Treat Disease action is called a Destroy CloneBot action.
A Research Center is called a CloneBot Interface Station.

Notes on the new Roles:
Mr. Incredible: He is the same as The Medic in all senses.
Elastigirl: Her ability to destroy a CloneBot in an adjacant city is always limited to one per action, once per turn (i.e. she still cannot remove more than one using that ability even when that color’s deactivation code has been discovered). For her Mom Power ability, she can only move other players to her location, not any other type of movement (a la The Dispatcher).
Violet: Violet's Force Field ability is in effect no matter whose turn it is.
Dash: Dash is not required to move two spaces for each action, but when he does move two spaces for one Move action, he must complete that movement before taking any other actions.

Using the Pandemic cards, substitute the following Special Event cards when drawn:
Resilient Population = Deep Freeze
One Quiet Night = Frozen!
Airlift = Family Comes Together
Government Grant = Supersuit Upgrade
Forecast = Jack-Jack Attack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dippel
United States
Merrick
NY
flag msg tools
Commentary! The OverText
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is brilliant!
Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome job.

Z-man really ought to give Disney a call on this one. Would be an incredible (heh) fit for both companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We could even have little robot-eeples!

This is a really outstanding retheme. Bravo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Awesome job.

Z-man really ought to give Disney a call on this one. Would be an incredible (heh) fit for both companies.

Disney would only agree to it if the were able to fully control copyright and trademark for base pandemic, this version, and all spin-offs. They'll probably send a take-down notice about this post even.

But other than that, dern fine job Grudunza, excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theTak wrote:
They'll probably send a take-down notice about this post even.

I agree on your statement about Disney, except this is a Eurogame. I sure doubt many Disney employees follow Eurogame variants, especially DIY non-profit ones at that. Mind you, if Disney were smart (as well as many other companies), board gaming beyond the Wal-Mart selection (i.e. Monopoly et. al.) poses a great untapped resource, in many ways. Look at how Lord of the Rings has successfully spread into the world of board gaming. War of the Ring, Lord of the Rings: Confrontation, LotR (Knizia), and Quest for Middle Earth are just some examples.

I could imagine Disney being successful with licensing their Kingdom Hearts characters to a successful Eurogame design (even if only a popular game, re-themed, such as Carcassonne --> castles and more, plus fun for the family).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice job there. I am actually working on a Marvel Heroes variant of the game that will allow one player to play as a Super Villain trying to stop the Heroes from finding a cure and foiling his plots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - I would like to try this out. Frankly, I've never been crazy about the whole disease theme - kind of depressing in a way. Nice way to lighten it up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So I playtested the original version a few times, and every time, even on the easy level with 4 Epidemics, I lost badly. I'm sure that with only 2 roles, it could be easy to win, but the intention for this was always to use all four of the family roles together. And what I realize is that none of them have any special curing ability (a la the Scientist and Field Operative) or card passing ability (a la the Researcher and Epidemiologist), and there is no special means of adding a research station (Ops Expert, Government Grant). 4 player games are already harder to win, but I think that's especially the case when those abilities are absent. And this wasn't accounting for the new rule with OTB where you are supposed to add 2 Special Events per player to the deck (which not only adds more special abilities, but lengthens the Player Draw deck).

So with that in mind I've made some changes and additions, and will begin playtesting these soon. It's quite possible that these are skewed the opposite direction, but if anything, I'd rather the game be too easy than too hard, considering the theme and the intent I have to use this to teach Pandemic to my girls. And you can always make it harder with more Epidemics...

I've added Frozone, Edna Mode and Jack-Jack as full character choices, as well as 5 more Special Event cards. There still isn't a character with a curing ability like the Field Operative or Scientist, but there is now a Government Grant card (Mirage Lends a Hand), a card that mimics Re-Examined Research (Government Assistance), and there is generally more strength available in general among the player powers and Special Event abilities. If that still isn't enough to be able to win at least 50% of the time, then I'll probably add a rule whereby Special Event cards don't count against your hand limit.

The main characters (Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, Violet and Dash) still use the base game pawns, but you'll need the OTB pawns for Frozone, Edna Mode and Jack-Jack, or suitable substitutes.

Comments/suggestions are very welcome... I am planning to make an Artscow set for this when I feel it's ready. (As it is, this would only be 17 cards, though, so I'll have to figure out some other things to fill out a 54 card deck with... either with something for this game or something else.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great job on the re-theme, your cards are amazing! FWIW, I'd be willing to go in on your Artscow deck if you're still having problems coming up with other cards to fill it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SabastianBludd wrote:
Wow, great job on the re-theme, your cards are amazing! FWIW, I'd be willing to go in on your Artscow deck if you're still having problems coming up with other cards to fill it out.

Okay, thanks. That was one thought I had, that I could add one more card to make 18 total... And then have those 18 cards copied 3 times in the deck and distribute the extra sets to whoever else might want them.

Or, if I can find something else useful to do with the 36-37 other cards, whether related to this or not, then I'll probably just do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pritchard
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This project looks great! I couldn't get my 10 year old daughter into Pandemic, but I think she'd love something like this.

As far as filling out an Artscow deck, it would be kind of cool to have the CloneBot Expansion (Epidemic) cards in the Incredibles theme. Otherwise it would kind of spoil the theme whenever you draw an "Epidemic" card. Would the Artscow cards fit seemlessly into the infection deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is AWESOME! I also really like the idea of themeing more of the cards to fill out your artscow deck. Epidemics for sure. Way cool, keep up the great work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina McDuffie
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Visit TheGlassMeeple.com for game reviews and run-throughs by me.
badge
She who laughs... lasts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed it (Artscow). Played it. Loved it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
From the dark depths of the ancient ocean, a kindly cetacean spirit with a penchant for board games and dumb made up bios
badge
I like themes. I like stories. I like plastic. I like brutal co-ops. I am kickstarter's whipping boy. Come game with me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work Eric - may have to print out a copy to try and push pandemic to my ever growing nephews and nieces !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael zalter
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tgmcduff wrote:
Printed it (Artscow). Played it. Loved it!

Is there a shared Artscow library for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be cool if this showed up on What we play at Pixar!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.