Great review! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review! This one's been on my want list for awhile.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
Check out the 2017 Solo Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was fun to see one of my pictures in your review.

Great review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joe, looks fun. Would mind telling us a bit about how you found the game and how mechanically it works? Say combat, movement etc...? Is it just the same as HotS or is different? What are the mechanical twists? How is supply handled? How does the navy play a part? Is combined arms important?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"It kinda reminds of the combination of, like, Hammer of the Scots...and...East Front. Now I now that's kinda a weird combination, but that's how it feels when you're playin' it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
"It kinda reminds of the combination of, like, Hammer of the Scots...and...East Front. Now I now that's kinda a weird combination, but that's how it feels when you're playin' it."
Just to be clear, I was hoping for something specific. I like the review a lot, in fact I want the game, but I was just wondering how specifically it was like those two, I get the feel aspect and that is important too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
My goodness...I had no idea Joe had posted all these reviews. Thanks, Joe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Just to be clear, I was hoping for something specific. I like the review a lot, in fact I want the game, but I was just wondering how specifically it was like those two, I get the feel aspect and that is important too.

The card play element will feel like Hammer of the Scots/Crusader Rex.

The tension of having a lot of things you WANT to do but only a few things which you CAN do feels a LOT (to me anyways) like East Front.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Quote:

The card play element will feel like Hammer of the Scots/Crusader Rex.

The tension of having a lot of things you WANT to do but only a few things which you CAN do feels a LOT (to me anyways) like East Front.

-Joel
Cheers Joel, that is what I was wondering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Great review! Thanks!

This is obviously NOT a review, as the person speaking never played the game (the components are still in their plastic bags!).

It is nice to see all the components, but you get ZERO info on the gameplay (and its what is most important IMHO).

Sooo... I did not find the video very useful if someone wants help to decide if to buy the game or not. Better info can be found on GMT web site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Great review! Thanks!

This is obviously NOT a review, as the person speaking never played the game (the components are still in their plastic bags!).

Notwithstanding the fact that I was looking for more gameplay information, too, it bears pointing out that the reviewer does say in the video that he bought two copies of the game (for "reserve"). So I believe he has played the game.

Cheers.

Chris Montgomery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is obviously NOT a review

Tough crowd... shake

If y'all want to see the game in action, Craig and I will be running a demo next week on GMT's Ventrilo server using VASSAL. I'll post a note here om BGG when I get more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Great review! Thanks!

It is nice to see all the components, but you get ZERO info on the gameplay (and its what is most important IMHO).

Sooo... I did not find the video very useful if someone wants help to decide if to buy the game or not. Better info can be found on GMT web site.

The only thing obvious is that you never watched the video.

As the previous poster commented he bought a "reserve" copy (I dont know why or what that is about) but I thought it was clear he played the game. He also seemed to have a fair comprehension of the rules which often requires play.

People are so quick to critisize. If you feel you can do a better video review of something go get some gear and do it yourself. I dont have the time or desire to do so so I am happy with ones produced and I get to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Quote:
This is obviously NOT a review

Tough crowd... shake

If y'all want to see the game in action, Craig and I will be running a demo next week on GMT's Ventrilo server using VASSAL. I'll post a note here om BGG when I get more details.

How long do these run? Will the audio and video be recorded and merged into a sigle downloadable file?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Great review! Thanks!

CENSORED AS PER BGG POLICY ! shake

Did you listen to the review? Do you enjoy lurking around and telling everyone "IMHO"? Not to much humble about it. blush

I say "It kinda reminds of the combination of, like, Hammer of the Scots...and...East Front." and talk about the sequence of play. Have you played either of these? I think I also mention the unit types and strengths of each player. I do refer to combat being like Columbia block games... have you played block games? Have you played any game besides your own design? LOL laugh

Sorry you paid so much money to watch that video. soblue

Maybe I should go "Shill" your game, you don't mind doing that yourself. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How long do these run? Will the audio and video be recorded and merged into a sigle downloadable file?

I try to keep demos to an hour/hour and a half tops. The audio will be recorded. I'll also try and make a VASSAL log file available. You'll be able to download these files from GMT's website.

The difficulty of recording audio AND video lies in that recording video of a full-screen size results in MASSIVE file sizes--for an hour, we're talking in the gigabytes. Not to worry, I am working on making short, smaller videoettes which will teach a given game. Right now I'm heavily involved in the final development of Washington's War. Once that project is complete I plan to work on these videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to make this video Joe. But, as a constructive critisism, it was extremely light on gameplay details. I wish there would have been more details as it's what I'm personally looking for in reviews. Like, does the rule works, is it balanced, is there too many exceptions that eventually slow down gameplay, is there many difficult decisions to make during play, etc..

Personally the sentence: "It kinda reminds of the combination of, like, Hammer of the Scots and East Front." doesn't tell me much since I never played East Front. blush

But great effort on the video meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nolan Guthrie
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
It is a wargame!
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap give the guy a break. A full time cop spends what little free time he has to show us a little about a game. He obviously puts a lot of time in this. Thanks Joe
Nolan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
A nice quick overview. Cool game, too. (I finally got to play it yesterday.)

Around 0:30 : "Athens versus Greece"...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.