United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Slev wrote:
While that is what players said they wanted, many are not happy for various reasons. The problem is that customers are notoriously bad at expressing their wants.

That has got to be the quote of the year. One thing I've learned in all the years of working on video games is the fans don't really know what they want. When we try to give them what they say they want, they come back and complain about something else!

As for the 6th edition, its basically what I really wanted. A super fancy edition with everything. Sure, I'd like a few changes here or there but its pretty cool and I'll definitely get it. I still have my nice wood block version of Kwanchai's version. And yes, it won't stop me from buying 6th edition.

My absolute dream version of OGRE would have nifty plastic pieces (and undoubtedly would then cost something like $200!) but the version planned seems really close to the ultimate edition OGRE anybody could want and my interpretation of SJ's comments leads me to believe this will be the last edition of OGRE ever.

I believe (I don't know this for a fact, as I don't know Mr. Jackson) that OGRE has a sentimental place in his heart, being his first commercially published wargame and the first in the string of design successes that literally made Steve Jackson Games (The others being GURPS, Illuminati and Munchkin). From purely commercial standpoint, however, OGRE's time has long since past and as a businessman Mr. Jackson needs to place his emphasis on where the money is --the Munchkin series, currently. I think I heard the planned print run for this new edition of OGRE is 3,000 games. Yes, 3,000. Obviously no comparison at all to Munchkin. I think the only reason why the new, deluxe version of OGRE is seeing print at all is because of Mr. Jackson's personal attachment to the game -- and given the description of what's intended to be in the box, frankly I'm surprised at the $100 price point. Sounds like a particularly good deal to me, and cause me to suspect that Jackson is accepting a much lower margin on this game than his usual practice. A hundred bucks will buy just four Munchkin games and this edition of OGRE sounds like it's got a lot more stuff than four Munchkin games have.

No, I think this will be it for OGRE. I plan to get two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Sumner
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean3Dguy wrote:
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:

On the Victory Point Games website there are images of MARS: Bio Invasion a game by Sean Young.
MARS reminds me of Kwanchi's version of Ogre. It appears to be in playtesting, but I'm not sure if it will be a VPG release. http://victorypointgames.com/articleDetail.php?article_ID=14...

The pics from above is from a game I am designing right now for VPG called MARS: Bio Invasion. Although I love OGRE, this game has nothing to do with either Kwanchai's cool version or the beloved SJG one. This game was certainly not designed in a vacuum, I've played both OGRE and Battletech, and it plays differently than both. MARS is about a very different IP universe than either of those games, mostly pitting robot pilots vs. giant Bio monsters (Counters not shown). In fact, I didn't even know Kwanchai's game existed until a couple days ago, a buddy of mine sent me this link.

MARS will be in playtesting, hopefully very soon, just finished the first draft of the Rules literally yesterday.

And yes, I hope to have some solitaire missions as well as the regular 2 player game.

While this is a bit off topic, whatever came of this? Was it released?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Title has no BGG entry, link is dead, and VPG's site returns no hits for "mars". I'd put my money on "no."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Sumner
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
selenite wrote:
Title has no BGG entry, link is dead, and VPG's site returns no hits for "mars". I'd put my money on "no."

I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Kustom
United Kingdom
Brampton, Carlisle
flag msg tools
mb
If anyone still has the files for Kwanchai's Ogre and would be willing to send me them I would be super grateful!
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.