Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
----- UPDATED INFORMATION ----

Feb 2012 - If you are interested in the story of how these miniatures came to be, you can read this entire thread... But in summary, It took about 18 months but ultimately, we produced and distributed this item:

If you want one and contact me, I may still have a few left to pass on.

Note that we have also sculpted a Doom for the non-collector's edition as well as 16 Strongholds that work for both versions of the game. More info can be found in this post:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7056409#7056409

Best Regards,

Foob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome, guys. Huge thanks to Gary for being willing to make these for everyone, and to Foob for helping to organize this. This is a great way to top off the Collector's Edition and help a worthy geek get a copy of his own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
countme "in"...please email when avail...thanks, john...vwagoner1@aol.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait. So, I can get one of these and I don't have to paint it?

Glee!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Message sent! I would definitely be willing to purchase one of these, and to contribute to the "Let’s buy Gary a copy of the Collector’s Edition" fund.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tipped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

My email box runneth over! But I expected that.

PLEASE ALSO SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD.

When I send my first mass email I will post a notice here saying that I have done so. Then, you can make sure you got it (or check your spam folder if you didn't) and ping me again to make sure you are on the list.

Keep those cards and letters coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of you are sending only an email address.

Please also send you shipping address... I'm dealing with a pretty large volumn of requests here and the fewer number of "ask-recieve": cycles I go through, the better.

If you did not send you address, please send it with "Resend" as part of the subject line.

Thanks,

Foob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc
Germany
Pliezhausen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great news, sent you an email :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce R.
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds great! Sent you an email with all the info. Put me down for an extra contribution for Gary too. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably won't order one but I'm impressed with the whole effort and kudos to everyone involved!

Seeing these threads did pique my curiousity though--Foob, do you still PLAY this game? I thought you got turned off of it very quickly waaay back when, and then when I checked to see if you'd had a change of heart I saw you still rate it a 2!

Which begs the question...What do you use your mini-Dooms for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eza Knight
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! Sound's great. Thanks again for organising this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Cassier
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow,thanks for the job you're doing guys!

I want one! e-mail sent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:
I probably won't order one but I'm impressed with the whole effort and kudos to everyone involved!

Seeing these threads did pique my curiosity though--Foob, do you still PLAY this game? I thought you got turned off of it very quickly waaay back when, and then when I checked to see if you'd had a change of heart I saw you still rate it a 2!

Which begs the question...What do you use your mini-Dooms for?

Hi Steve,

I wondered when someone was going to ask that!

Yes, I rate WoTR a "2" - because (to quote the ratings guidelines) I find it an "extremely annoying game, won't play this ever again".

However several years ago, when they announced the Collectors Edition I knew I would buy one. Why? Human beings are totally irrational sometimes. "We just wants it!!!". If you were really researching my psyche you could go back through my posts in the WoTR forum and see that I have been lusting after the CE for years. I actually contemplated buying 2 copies! Sick, soblue I know. I can't help myself.

My mini-doom will be added to my very expensive new game where it will sit as a monument to my folly. Besides, they make a great nick-nac. Can't you see one on your grandmas shelf right between the Ceramic Bunny and the Mini Eifel Tower?

You are forcing me to actually THINK about this... whereas up to now I've been operating on pure emotional desire...blush

I guess I'm not buying it so much as a game, but as a museum piece. IMHO, it is a work of art. Imagine the look on your grand-kids faces 30 years from now when you pull this out ("don't touch Grandpa’s precious") . I really think that the CE is a 1-of-a-kind item, (well, a 2000 of a kind item anyway...)

What other theme would merit such treatment? I can't think of one with such wide appeal (especially after the movies came out). Notice that this theme even has its own "happy-face" here on the geek. sauron

O.K. now I feel better. I've thoroughly rationalized this. Maybe I'll go order another copy from the second shipment...whistle

At this point I'd probably try to get my hands on nearly any accessory that came out. (Anyone thinking of molding little hobbit-holes for the Shire region?).

Back to WoTR as a game... I need to say that I really respect it. I believe that it is (and forever will be) the definitive treatment of the LoTR theme. It does a really good job packing the entire story into a "playable" package. (note - I'm talking playable from a wargamer's perspective, not a Eurogamers perspective... I used to be a wargamer, but over the last 5 years I've really made the switch - heck, I used to be a lifestyle ASL player, talk about nuts!).

So, there you have it. If the BGG ratings system was asking "what games do you respect" I would give WoTR a much higher rating. However, the BGG ratings system is asking "which games do you desire to play".

In the grip of the power of the ring,

Foob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting many comments with the emails, but I want to share this one with you guys:

Aeroeza wrote:
Hi Fubar,

I'm new to BoardGameGeek. I'd surfed the net the other night and by pure chance noticed the CE had finally been released and so purchased it after a thirty second hesitation. I couldn't then resist the temptation to add my euphoric message to the 'Did you Funken Dunk it' thread on the forum and so that's why I joined. A bit more of an explore led me to your thread and it only added to my excitment! I'd love that Mount Doom for my board...

I've been an avid player of WOTR since 2005 but hadn't been keeping up-to-date with events in the community so to call 'dunkin' a copy of the CE a bit lucky is an understatement, but Gary's Mount Doom would be the icing on the cake!

So thank you for organizing this. I'd be happy to donate extra to help fund a CE for him. I hope its a real gravy train for both of you!

Thanks for the story Aeroeza!

The goal is to get Gary a game - I'm in this because I want one of the Little Dooms myself and I just get a kick out of organizing things like this (bringing people together and making stuff happen - Tom Vassal who organizes the "Secret Santa" can probably relate).

Actually, I contacted Fantasy Flight to see if we could get a "discount copy" for Gary (thus making our goal more possible). The answer was "no", but the rest of the message was interesting. What they said was: "We don't need to promote this item - we expect them all to sell, no problem".

Just to give you guys a preview of the current "economics" of this... if we have 80 guys who "wants one" then we would need to add $5 to the cost of production to buy Gary a game. I think that is well within reach...

Foob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eza Knight
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Absolutely within our reach!

If we all put our actual money where our virtual mouths are quick-smart then we can secure that copy of the CE for our resident artist. (Then we just have to hope Gary doesn't get carpel tunnel from painting an Everest of Mt. Dooms)!

Let us know if there's anything more you need to help make 'stuff happen'...

Cheers!

Ez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
At this point I'd probably try to get my hands on nearly any accessory that came out. (Anyone thinking of molding little hobbit-holes for the Shire region?).

I was planning, until I heard the CE was coming out, to do a fully realized relief map of middle earth for the game, as I don't think I'll ever really be satisfied until I see a true "mini middle earth" before me. Where the mountains rise up, the little passes are detailed, famous locations are scaled up for detail, like Minas Tirith. It would be a more sober version of the 3D Shadows Over Camelot table.

The CE is going to satisfy me as a "deluxified" version for a little while, but seeing the full relief Middle Earth is one of my geeky projects-before-I-die that I want to accomplish.

The real problem with doing it for someone else is the cost. To do it right, with a 4' by 4' table with a lot of intricate detail, designing it to work with the game, texturizing, painting, along with mounting it into a wood frame and cover to make it "portable" brought an estimate of $10,000! I know there are rich geeks here who could slap that down, but of course they have to be crazed Tolkien fanatics also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh

Sydney
NSW
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for this opportunity. I sent you a message on here with all the required info... and am more than happy to chip in for such a great cause as getting him a set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hargraves
United States
Danbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekmail sent! Thanks for doing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dworkin
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intersted...strongly so.

A hundred thanks to you for the organizing.. good things only happen when folks make then occur.
Merci.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in! Mail sent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Dalstra
Denmark
flag msg tools
Note sent!

Thanks for the wonderful initiative!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mail sent.
Which will come first the mini or the game, I wonder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
GamesJart wrote:
Which will come first the mini or the game, I wonder?

The game to someone I suspect as the OP still needs the dimensions from the gameboard to size the mini. Or has this information been provided alredy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [28] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.