Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently ran a poll on what era gamers wanted to see for a new Commands & Colors Ancient expansion. The original thread is at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/456095

The results look like this:

As an exercise, I assigned values to each level: -2 for "Who Cares", -1 for "Live without It", 0 for "So/So", +1 for "Like It", and +2 for "Love It". In order, the results are:

Biblical: 114 pts.
Byzantine: 112 pts.
China: 109 pts.
Greece: 84 pts.
Indian: 57 pts.
Romans: -24 pts.

Biblical was a rather extreme category. It had the most "Love It" votes by a large margin, but it had the second highest number of "Who Cares" votes (losing out to Romans).

Greece and Indian came in as tier 2 categories. I was surprised that Indian didn't do better, given the publication of Chandragupta from GMT, I thought there might be more interest in the period.

Romans, as expected, came in dead last. Note to GMT: can we call ourselves done with Romans and yet another Roman army?

I asked for suggestions for "Other" periods. These include: Samurai, Viking/Dark Ages, Early Medieval, South American, English Civil War, Ancient Naval, Late Medieval (e.g., War of the Roses), Renaissance (e.g., Italian Wars).

New Poll
Poll
  Love It Like It So/So Live w/o It Who Cares Vote Count
Biblical 44.0% (37) 9.5% (8) 25.0% (21) 8.3% (7) 13.1% (11) 84
Greece 17.3% (14) 44.4% (36) 32.1% (26) 2.5% (2) 3.7% (3) 81
Indian 18.3% (15) 34.1% (28) 19.5% (16) 14.6% (12) 13.4% (11) 82
China 40.2% (33) 28.0% (23) 12.2% (10) 13.4% (11) 6.1% (5) 82
Byzantine 21.4% (18) 29.8% (25) 31.0% (26) 14.3% (12) 3.6% (3) 84
Romans 12.3% (10) 11.1% (9) 23.5% (19) 24.7% (20) 28.4% (23) 81
Ancient Naval 28.0% (23) 24.4% (20) 20.7% (17) 13.4% (11) 13.4% (11) 82
Dark Ages/Viking 44.4% (36) 40.7% (33) 8.6% (7) 3.7% (3) 2.5% (2) 81
Early Medieval 34.1% (28) 40.2% (33) 14.6% (12) 6.1% (5) 4.9% (4) 82
South American 9.9% (8) 17.3% (14) 32.1% (26) 21.0% (17) 19.8% (16) 81
Late Medieval (e.g., Wars of the Roses) 22.2% (18) 37.0% (30) 23.5% (19) 8.6% (7) 8.6% (7) 81
Renaissance (e.g., Italian Wars) 16.0% (13) 17.3% (14) 40.7% (33) 17.3% (14) 8.6% (7) 81
Samurai 40.0% (32) 23.8% (19) 17.5% (14) 8.8% (7) 10.0% (8) 80
English Civil War 19.0% (15) 29.1% (23) 20.3% (16) 16.5% (13) 15.2% (12) 79
Total Voters 85
This poll is now closed.   85 answers
Poll created by kentreuber
Closes: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few categories there that shouldn't be shoehorned into C&C:A as it stands, and either need a completely new C&C (naval and ECW, for example) or arguably already have one (the medieval period being covered by Battlelore).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that these are all meant as possible new CC:x titles. I should look at Battle Lore at some point, but I'd be more tempted if there was a historical base set (instead of just in an expansion).

Oh well, I've got enough to play and on preorder already that I'm wondering if I want to get CC:N as it is....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
I'm assuming that these are all meant as possible new CC:x titles. I should look at Battle Lore at some point, but I'd be more tempted if there was a historical base set (instead of just in an expansion).
Actually, I was surprised just how much of the base game was historical. Despite the Gobbos and Dwarfs, much of it is historically based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can add a Ancients Campaign Book to your poll. Volume 1 The Punic Wars ; Campaign of Italy, Campaign of Spain, Campaign of Africa, similar mechanics to the Memoir 44 Campaign Book but of course much different overall due to ancient times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:

I much prefer BattleLore as a medieval game. There are rules included in the Hundred Years War expansion for less fantastic battles using only the less powerful Lore cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Rindis wrote:
Actually, I was surprised just how much of the base game was historical. Despite the Gobbos and Dwarfs, much of it is historically based.

Other than the creatures, I tend to think of the scenarios as historical battles with the participants in costumes.

Dwarves aren't really Dwarves, for example, but veteran infantry and mercenaries. Gobbos are generally rabble, shaky troops of a type, or poor cavalry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:

Dwarves aren't really Dwarves, for example, but veteran infantry and mercenaries. Gobbos are generally rabble, shaky troops of a type, or poor cavalry.

It is this type of thinking that leads the dwarf-lovers to getting crushed by the deceptively quick and swarming gobli...,er saracens.

On a more serious (but only slightly so) note, I heartily agree with those that point out the "historical" side of BattleLore. I do understand those that cannot overcome the mere presence of fantasy elements in the game, but I feel that that is very much a baby with the bathwater way of looking at it. I'm hoping FFG continues with expansions in the vein of Hundred Years' War and Scottish Wars.

The game without lore of any kind is too dry for my tastes, but the medieval lore rules hit the sweet spot of an engaging "reality-based" skirmish game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm disappointed but not surprised that Indian didn't do better. I really like Chandragupta and it seems like the units in that game would make an interesting mix of scenarios for C&CA.

The one I'd be most interested in would be a Commands and Colors: Three Kingdoms edition covering the end of the Han Dynasty (China 206BC - AD220). It just seems like a rich and interesting period and a good match for the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toddrew wrote:
BradyLS wrote:

It is this type of thinking that leads the dwarf-lovers to getting crushed by the deceptively quick and swarming gobli...,er saracens.

I only have one steady opponent herein Austin, but he favors the "Dwarves" and I the "Goblins." I find the Goblins a lot more fun to play, but they are tougher to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Donnelly
Canada
Comox Valley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I wonder if "Biblical" got a lot of who-cares votes because of the name, which conjures up the image of Samson swinging the jawbone of an ass. Maybe "Egyptian" or, more broadly, "Pre-Classical" would be better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was not the case for my so-so vote... I am just not that interested in the period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll Results. I assigned points as follows:

Love It: +2
Like It: +1
So/So: 0
Live w/o It: -1
Who Cares: -2

I then ranked the different periods by the average of these numbers. Given this scale, the rankings are as follows. The Dark Age period wins by a significant margin, followed by Early Medieval and China.

In the previous poll, Biblical won over China and Greece, but now it's been turned around.

Dark Age/Vikings: 1.21
Early Medieval: 0.93
China: 0.83
Samurai: 0.75
Greece: 0.69
Biblical: 0.63
Late Medieval: 0.56
Byzantine: 0.51
Ancient Naval: 0.40
Indian: 0.29
English Civil War: 0.20
Renaissance: 0.15
South American: -0.23
Romans: -0.46

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.