Subject: New York City Has a New Game Store! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: nyc [+] newyork [+] [View All]
Jeof Oyster
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hey folks,

I just wanted to send the word out there that for those in, around, or coming to New York, we have a new game store starting up right in Manhattan. The Games Place is starting with the belief that there is a game for everyone, and no matter whether you've played games all your life or you (or as far as BGG is concerned, those you know) are just getting started, we want to match you with a game worth playing.

Our debut location is part of the Holiday Shops at Bryant Park. If you're in town, come on by to the home of the city's only free ice skating rink and visit us at Booth D-1 (right by the 6th Ave entrance). We're in this spot until January 3rd - and coming to Manhattan full-time in 2010.

See you soon!

Jeof & Zach - The Games Place

PS - If you mention you saw us on Board Game Geek, we'll give you 10% off whatever you buy.

PPS - We believe in doing good as do business, so all purchases contribute towards donating games to worthy causes including Toys for Tots, The Spiel Foundation, and The Ali Forney Center in New York.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I'll make it over before Jan 3, but good luck and I'll be looking forward to finding out your permanent location next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I'll try to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeof wrote:
Our debut location is part of the Holiday Shops at Bryant Park.

For the benefit of those of us who aren't in New York as much as we'd like to be... Where is Bryant Park?

6th Ave and ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hymie wrote:
jeof wrote:

For the benefit of those of us who aren't in New York as much as we'd like to be... Where is Bryant Park?

6th Ave and ...

6th Avenue between 40th & 42nd Streets, right next to the main branch of the New York Public Library (which is on 5th Avenue between 40th & 42nd Streets).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hymie wrote:
jeof wrote:

6th Ave and ...

F, V, B, D or 7 train to 42nd St Bryant Park.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the shops in Bryant Park open already? (I work in Union Square and they haven't even begun to construct them here yet.)

Would definitely check it out.

As for the permanent location, is it just retail space, or will you also have space for gaming in-store?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Are the shops in Bryant Park open already? (I work in Union Square and they haven't even begun to construct them here yet.)

As for the permanent location, is it just retail space, or will you also have space for gaming in-store?

Aw, remember when we went to the Bryant Park shops before we started dating? How awkward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeof Oyster
United States
New York
flag msg tools
erak wrote:

Yes indeed - Bryant Park opened earlier this year, same time as the ice rink.

We think there's going to be plenty of interest in having a great gaming location in the city - and absolutely, we want to have plenty of playspace for all kinds of games from board & card to RPGs, CCGs, and a bunch of other acronyms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Sutheland
United States
Kennett
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was able to frop by for a bit before getting called away. Very nice store and Jeof was a really nice chap to chat with. Will definetely be dropping by tomorrow to do a little shopping.

Charles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the days & hours of the new store? I'll be in the city one weekend in December, for sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I know what I'm doing for lunch today . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeof Oyster
United States
New York
flag msg tools
YojimboUsaka wrote:
Was able to frop by for a bit before getting called away. Very nice store and Jeof was a really nice chap to chat with. Will definetely be dropping by tomorrow to do a little shopping.

Charles

Thanks for hanging out, Charles!

Lemur wrote:
What are the days & hours of the new store? I'll be in the city one weekend in December, for sure...

Monday - Friday, 10:30am - 8pm
Saturday, 10am - 9pm
Sunday, 10am - 7pm-ish

ohbalto wrote:
Well, I know what I'm doing for lunch today . . .

Let us know you came from BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally I can agree to that New York vacation my wife has been babbling about for the last few years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holt
United States
Brooklyn
United States
flag msg tools
nuthin to see here
badge
honestly! you're rather nosey
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe do a game cafe, in the slope (self serving suggestion devil )
With Neutral Ground gone and King's Games downsized we need more places to gather and play. Putting together a cozy gaming atmosphere that is family friendly and hip could bring about that German gaming Cafe feel.

I'll be by your booth tonite!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chandler
United States
Altamont
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome! I'm taking a bus trip down to NYC this Saturday, that just happens to drop us off right at the Public Library.

I'll be sure to stop by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thron
United States
Caldwell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw this and happen to be coming into the city tomorrow for a client's video shoot. Perfect timing. I worked in Manhattan for many years and miss being there this time of year for just such things as Rockefeller Plaza and the Bryant Park shops, etc. VERY glad to hear there'll be a games store around.

One of my favorite City moments was during this time of year about 10 years ago. I used to pass Radio City on my way walking to work every day. On this particular day they were putting the giant presents decorations on top of Radio City. I looked up and there was a guy dressed as Santa, fixing these giant presents into place. He saw me looking up and waved at me just as I imagine old St. Nick would really do. Made my week, I tell ya...

I'm going to do my best to find time to stop by tomorrow...looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PThron wrote:
I just saw this and happen to be coming into the city tomorrow for a client's video shoot. Perfect timing. I worked in Manhattan for many years and miss being there this time of year for just such things as Rockefeller Plaza and the Bryant Park shops, etc. VERY glad to hear there'll be a games store around.

One of my favorite City moments was during this time of year about 10 years ago. I used to pass Radio City on my way walking to work every day. On this particular day they were putting the giant presents decorations on top of Radio City. I looked up and there was a guy dressed as Santa, fixing these giant presents into place. He saw me looking up and waved at me just as I imagine old St. Nick would really do. Made my week, I tell ya...

I'm going to do my best to find time to stop by tomorrow...looking forward to it.

I used to work right across the street from Radio City. Christmas time was the worst. Thousands of slow tourists with their haphazardly-walking children constantly getting in my way, then stopping. January couldn't come fast enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeof Oyster
United States
New York
flag msg tools
@Greg - Looking forward to seeing you!

It *does* get pretty crazy here at Christmastime with all the people, but still it's my favorite time of year here too. Something about Christmas in the city is beautiful. I dunno,that's just me. I know some don't like all the crowds (and I normally try to avoid them, myself).

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exciting! do u happen to have a list(short list) of games available(before i start placing some online orders)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Franke
United States
Mahopac
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wishing you guys success, as my friend John Holt said, we need a place to play and buy, especially BattleTech!!!
Cheers and best of luck!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeof Oyster
United States
New York
flag msg tools
James - we have the list of what we have in store at our website:

http://www.thegamesplaceonline.com/category/in-store

thanks!

j

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeof Oyster
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hey folks,

Things are moving right along with the shop in Bryant Park and we've gotten a lot of great input from board game players all over the city. If you haven't stopped by yet, please do! We'd love to meet other local game players.

As we build our plans for a new store in the city next year, we'd like to involve the whole game-playing community in our thought process. Your ideas and input are crucial to our moving forward in building a shop that works for this community.

To start us off we'd like to get your thoughts in a quick little survey we've put together. If you have 5-10 minutes to spare, we'd much appreciate it! The survey is here:

http://www.thegamesplaceonline.com/nyc-survey

And everyone who completes it will be entered in a drawing for a free game of their choice from our Bryant Park shop. (And after you're done, if you send the link to people and they complete the survey, you'll get more entries in the drawing).

Thanks!

Jeof & Zach
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Store and selection looks great.

Maybe it' just my location, but the site is VERY sluggish and slow for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeof Oyster
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks

We're going to be implementing a bunch of new ideas to the website in January, including kicking the server to make it work faster (lots of traffic this time of year).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |