Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Belyakov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
Stop tickling my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Battlestations, while certainly not without its weaknesses, became a rather unique game which managed to scratch two itches at the same time.

When I was younger, I was involved with RPGs - at first it was AD&D 2nd Edition, then GURPS, then Blue Planet, even a bit of Grimm. I loved the worlds, the details, the stories, and I loved to GM, but it usually took a lot of time to prepare for the games, and the game itself was usually not as good, as I would've wanted. So, as time went on, and I had less and less time to play, I stopped playing RPGs and switched to board games. But still, from time to time, even to this day, I have this itch to take out some RPG book, write a scenario and put a game together.

In this respect Battlestations is perfect. The rules are not that difficult, and the preparation time for the GM is minimal, but you still get that kick from the game, when you sit around a table with a bunch of friends, and tell a story together with them.

I believe the thing that makes it so much fun for me is that it's not a serious game in terms of the background. There's a lot of potential for humor in the game, and we use it to the fullest. Each character has some funny quirks and stories to tell, and has a life of his own outside the missions, and we have a blast each time we play, laughing our heads off. In my opinion, if you take the approach of space opera parody instead of trying to be serious about it, this game will make your day.

Just beware that there are some balance issues with some of the missions. Some of the missions scale nicely, while others may turn into a disaster if you don't tweak them before (or even during) the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
There's much truth in what you have to say. I find battlestations to be very "campy" however many players hate the camp and play it very serious. I think it can be played either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't there be a board, or pieces or something to Jenga?
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo your sentiment. I want a space RPG without all the prep and complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
When it crosses into RPG territory, Battlestations is mega-campy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Belyakov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
Stop tickling my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
And I've just learned a new word: "campy".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
belyakoff wrote:
And I've just learned a new word: "campy".

Харошо!
Перевод, пажалуйста... я студенти в поьрусский.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.