Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Struebing
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played Divide and Conquer at GenCon 2009 (posted in forum) and had a great game there. The game was challenging, the players were a lot of fun, and the game reveals complexity beneath very streamlined rules. When the game designer posted that he was offering a handful of game prototypes he had gotten made, I contact him and received one.

The variant I played with my shiny new copy in hand was the 2 Player Team-Up option. At first, I was concerned there would be some deadlocking with one color being used offensively and the other defensively, and the game would go on for a long time while the defensive color eventually had to go on offense to collect objectives. In fact the game did not play out quite that way.

It was a bit more to track mentally with having to see how your first stack would move in early initiative, and then the second later. It made for some unpredictable exchanges where several colors were in close proximity. It also made for "hedging your bets" moves where if I wanted to attack my opponent, I could attack 2 probable squares they would move to, rather than just one in the 4 player version. It is always that "DOH!" moment when you are eyeing a stack, they have initiative, and they shoot left when you attack right. Such is the need for minding initiative of course.

I have not played the 4 player team-up variant, but I would expect that it would play similarly to this one because the team would come up with the best consensus move, and in fact, act like one player.

It was a fun variant, and my friend was feeling good about his position later in the game. Well, that is after me initially blocking him at his headquarters and effectively playing 2 colors vs. 1 while his depleted stack rebuilt at HQ over many turns devil. As he lined up his final squads to move on the last three objectives, it didn't appear he saw how close I was to my final objective. Sound the trumpets, sweet victory was in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.