Dixit» Forums » Variants

Subject: DIY Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Shultz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: JugglerMicrobadge: M. C. Escher fanMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: I ride my bike to work.Microbadge: Spielwiese fan - Boardgames Café Berlin
Ok first. This is a great game and people are often enchanted by it on their first run. Now to the variant...

I saw Tom Vasel's review and noticed in the comments that somebody recommended a certain type of therapeutic card that could work nicely as an expansion if/when you get sick of the normal cards. So I figured I share it here incase anyone is wondering how to freshen up their once beloved game.

Here's the website:
http://www.transform-your-life.org/

I'm interested to try this but haven't yet. Has anyone here tried these?
...something similar?

Also my wife and I have been collecting free postcards which are everywhere in Berlin. We plan to try it out when we get enough interesting ones. For the Berlin version we use little colored trabbie erasers instead of rabbits

I'll post some pics of the Berlin Dixit when we finally finish it.

Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: House Ruler / Game HackerMicrobadge: Video gamerMicrobadge: Heavy Games fanMicrobadge: Role-playerMicrobadge: Killjoy
Re: what a great game... let's add some more cards!
The RPG Everyway also had interpretive cards, sold with the main game and in additional bundles. I've been thinking about trying them with Dixit rules.

And of course, there are always Tarot decks, eg Haindl Tarot, Thoth Tarot, Revelations Tarot, various pretty Lo Scarabeo decks (that's a publisher). It's 78 cards instead of 84, but there's no lack for imagery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Modern abstract games fanMicrobadge: Vegan
For a while I've been imagining some Dixit variant using random images from images.google.com or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bluerock
United States
Mufreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Postcard collectorMicrobadge: Reddit fanMicrobadge: Forced to play games Han Solo
My wife noted the Mother Peace Tarot would work well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shultz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: JugglerMicrobadge: M. C. Escher fanMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: I ride my bike to work.Microbadge: Spielwiese fan - Boardgames Café Berlin
Actually I'm taking German lessons and the teacher brought in tarot cards as conversation fodder. I suggested that we play a dixit variation with them and so we did

After every round the teacher asked why people laid certain cards or why they chose their particular sentence/expression as well as why they selected the cards that they did.

The following day I brought the actual game and we joined up with the other german class and played in teams! Dixit is actually quite fun this way. The game went over very well.

When I finish my exams (if I pass I'll surely buy the teachers a copy to play with their students. I suggest it to anyone who teaches or is in some language class.

Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shultz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
russ wrote:
For a while I've been imagining some Dixit variant using random images from images.google.com or something.
if done right I think that that could be a really cool online game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sanchez
Spain
Manzanares el Real
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2014 Copper SupporterMicrobadge: 2015 Copper SupporterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
Yeah osho zen tarot cards will also work nicely, but why don't we start a "fan deck· with images created or downloaded by fans of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shultz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
guitarsolointhewind wrote:

Also my wife and I have been collecting free postcards which are everywhere in Berlin. We plan to try it out when we get enough interesting ones. For the Berlin version we use little colored trabbie erasers instead of rabbits
Daniel
We tried our postcard version the other day and it worked out for the most part great. I didn't have time to put backs on all of the post cards and it's a shame actually to do this to used postcards.

What would be really cool is if in addition to (or instead of) new expansion cards they would release postcard plastic slips with an opaque Dixit logo side and a clear side. Then people could customize their deck with their own post cards. People would probably even send you interesting post cards just based on the fact that you have a game which could use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hatter
msg tools
You all know Magic, right?
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/463/magic-the-gathering

A lot of crap cards, dirty cheap, and with excellent pictures.
Thousands to choose from. Instant win.

A dedicated deck builder might want to take it upon themselves to cherry pick the most suitable illustrations where a lot is going on, many things are it them, or the picture is suitably abstract and/or wacky. But from what I've heard, mostly any pile of Magic cards, good for nothing else, could work.

It worked like a charm for me, most ppl loved it immediately...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls