Recommend
443 
 Thumb up
 Hide
302 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 

Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » General

Subject: BETRAYED ONCE MORE – 2nd EDITION IS NOW A GO! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Awesome! [+] Reprint [+] Hill [+] the [+] on [+] at [+] House [+] Betrayal [+] AvHil [+] [View All]
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
The news we’ve all been waiting for has finally come down from Hasbro - Betrayal is going into a second edition! The projected release date at present is the fall of 2010. Here’s what we’re working on with the new edition (note, some of these may be subject to change, so don’t write anything in stone [or blood] just yet):

 New Haunts!
 Revised and rebalanced old Haunts!
 New Item and Event cards!
 New counters, now with more graphics!
 New cover art!
 Revised rules, based on the FAQ!
 Revised and updated components (the Underground Lake goes underground once more)!
 New mechanic (for certain scenarios): hidden traitors!

If you’re interested in participating in this process, I could use some help. Read on for how...

The revisions to the old Haunts will be based primarily on the comments that have been posted here on the BGG discussion board (just as I did with the last revision). I’ll be trying to do a bit of tweaking based on Haunts that seem frequently imbalanced, or unclear, or not fun for any reason. If you’ve posted anything whatsoever on any of the BaHoH forums, you don’t need to do anything else -- I’ve already copied them. One thing I’d be particularly interested in hearing is which are the best and worst scenarios in your opinion -- we may be cutting a few of the weaker ones in order to add some new ones in their place. Reply to this thread to weigh in.

Also -- contest time! -- if you’d like to participate even more, I’m looking for some new scenarios to add to the ones I’m currently writing. If you think you’ve got what it takes, send me your scenario, and if I like it, I’ll send it along to be included in the new Haunt book. I want complete scenarios, not just "it’d be cool if you had a scenario based on this one set of movies." I’d also love getting ideas for new item and event cards. The deadline for scenarios is December 23rd (so I can playtest them over the holidays); the deadline for cards is January 1. Unfortunately, we aren’t offering anything to the winners other than the eternal glory of having your name in print in the new Haunt books, but that’s worth something, isn’t it?

As far as what makes a good Haunt, in my opinion: my favorite Horror paradigm is the one where the Threat, whatever it is, cannot be confronted directly. There are always more monsters, or the single monster is too tough to just be defeated in combat. Instead, you’ve got to hold the threat at bay just long enough to locate the widget or perform the ritual that will defeat the threat indirectly.

I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread to answer questions, so ask away!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceGee wrote:
The news we’ve all been waiting for has finally come down from Hasbro - Betrayal is going into a second edition! The projected release date at present is the fall of 2010. Here’s what we’re working on with the new edition (note, some of these may be subject to change, so don’t write anything in stone [or blood] just yet):

 New Haunts!
 Revised and rebalanced old Haunts!
 New Item and Event cards!
 New counters, now with more graphics!
 New cover art!
 Revised rules, based on the FAQ!
 Revised and updated components (the Underground Lake goes underground once more)!
 New mechanic (for certain scenarios): hidden traitors!

If you’re interested in participating in this process, I could use some help. Read on for how...

The revisions to the old Haunts will be based primarily on the comments that have been posted here on the BGG discussion board (just as I did with the last revision). I’ll be trying to do a bit of tweaking based on Haunts that seem frequently imbalanced, or unclear, or not fun for any reason. If you’ve posted anything whatsoever on any of the BaHoH forums, you don’t need to do anything else -- I’ve already copied them. One thing I’d be particularly interested in hearing is which are the best and worst scenarios in your opinion -- we may be cutting a few of the weaker ones in order to add some new ones in their place. Reply to this thread to weigh in.

Also -- contest time! -- if you’d like to participate even more, I’m looking for some new scenarios to add to the ones I’m currently writing. If you think you’ve got what it takes, send me your scenario, and if I like it, I’ll send it along to be included in the new Haunt book. I want complete scenarios, not just "it’d be cool if you had a scenario based on this one set of movies." I’d also love getting ideas for new item and event cards. The deadline for scenarios is December 23rd (so I can playtest them over the holidays); the deadline for cards is January 1. Unfortunately, we aren’t offering anything to the winners other than the eternal glory of having your name in print in the new Haunt books, but that’s worth something, isn’t it?

As far as what makes a good Haunt, in my opinion: my favorite Horror paradigm is the one where the Threat, whatever it is, cannot be confronted directly. There are always more monsters, or the single monster is too tough to just be defeated in combat. Instead, you’ve got to hold the threat at bay just long enough to locate the widget or perform the ritual that will defeat the threat indirectly.

I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread to answer questions, so ask away!


OMG!!!! This is the best day ever! I will get some ideas to you!
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome news :) Not long since we got our used 1st edition, but it's quite popular, so wouldn't be surprised if we decided to get this one! Good luck!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect the price of the now outdated 1st edition to fall dramatically, i.e back to resonable from the ridiculous.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
I expect the price of the now outdated 1st edition to fall dramatically, i.e back to resonable from the ridiculous.

I expect a crapload of them to hit the marketplace so as to take advantage of suckers before the new release becomes more common knowledge.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to it!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William W
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
This is excellent news! I can't wait to give it a go!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goddammit! Quality and on time delivery are not mutually exclusive!
United States
Shelby Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruce, that is excellent news. One of my all time favorite games finally gets a reprint.

Bruce, can you tell us if this will be under the Habro label, Avalon Hill label, or WOTC? Just curious.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Woohoo!

So many ideas...

But, what about more rooms? So you don't always pretty much run into the same set of rooms every time. It would be cool if there were different sized rooms like in Vegas Showdown.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kenel
United States
New London
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I just played this for the first time about a month ago and loved it. I guess it's a good thing nobody accepted any of the numerous trade offers I've made since then for it!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawkeye77 wrote:
Awesome! I just played this for the first time about a month ago and loved it. I guess it's a good thing nobody accepted any of the numerous trade offers I've made since then for it!


Ditto! Plus, I bet there are those people hoarding a shrink wrapped copy of this game will not be happy with this news.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, frabjous day.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the best thing that could ever happen.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
I expect the price of the now outdated 1st edition to fall dramatically, i.e back to resonable from the ridiculous.


Well, there might be some collectors out there. I know a couple of folks who treasure their Mayfair 1st edition Settlers Of Catan
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
NealStidham wrote:
How should those of us who want to send you ideas, do so?


You can just send them to me here on BGG. You can do attachments here, can't you? If not, write to me here and I'll send you my regular email address.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude--I just came THIS CLOSE to getting screwed on ebay for the first edition. You saved Christmas!

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Do you think there'll be an "upgrade path" for us 1st Ed owners?
17 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, This is great news. I can't wait to see what it will look like.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The definition of "awesome".
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sweet news indeed. I am so glad that I waited.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Yeah! I love this game. Hated the errata and mistakes. Parted with my copy about a year ago and there was always that teeny tiny tinge of regret. A reprint would enable me to not only get it back, but get a version with FIXES. I would NOT have bought this game again, even if it was reprinted, if they didn't take steps to correct the mistakes they made with the first version.

I have nothing further to add. Every problem that I have with the first edition has already been addressed here and in the FAQ, I just want those corrections implemented in the second edition without having to have an eratta/FAQ book the figurative size of War and Peace.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Dinatale
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I for one dont think the news is so awesome - especially when I payed a handsome price for a copy on ebay - because it was termed and touted by all to be "OUT OF PRINT" It's a bit of a joke that a company like Hasbro make no mention/forecast that a product may or may not be reprinted until it happens. Im sore not because I overpaid for what is now an outdated copy, but because Hasbro and other companies dont provide enough accurate and up-to-date information to their client base about the status of their products. Serge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
ixian wrote:
Well I for one dont think the news is so awesome - especially when I payed a handsome price for a copy on ebay - because it was termed and touted by all to be "OUT OF PRINT" It's a bit of a joke that a company like Hasbro make no mention/forecast that a product may or may not be reprinted until it happens. Im sore not because I overpaid for what is now an outdated copy, but because Hasbro and other companies dont provide enough accurate and up-to-date information to their client base about the status of their products. Serge.


Fall 2010, so that's one year before the actual reprint, plenty of time I'd say.
48 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wet myself out of pure joy.
14 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost makes me wish I had cracked open my copy at some point.

This is fantastic news however.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.