Subject: Point variation for leage play - need input! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We try to do seasons of play where we race over several courses and total up the points at the end to determine the winner. Earlier we've been dealing out points. Like 10 for 1st place, 7 for 2nd, etc. Varying amounts, but usually everyone who finishes get's at least a point, DNF though is worth nothing.

For next year I wanted to try something different; time difference. When the first player has crossed the finish line, you start the count. For every roll the other players need to finish, they get a point. So less points are better. This will make it more competitive, as a runaway leader can't just "coast in", as he'll want to win with as much difference as possible. Likewise, even the guy in last place wants to finish as quickly as possible and not give up, so the gap isn't too big.

So far so good (well, at least I think so). The part I'm having trouble with is how to deal with cars that crash out and/or don't compete in a race. DNF I'm thinking should get a "score" equal to the last player to finsih +10 or something similar. The ones not competing at all I have no idea what to do with. Same as the worst result seem unfair. Same as a DNF? Or maybe even worse than that?

Any thoughts? :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that your point variation concept is sound. Just to be clear on your concept; the base-points of coming in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. would be thrown out. In its place would be the "number of rolls to finish ~ after the first driver finishes the race?

So the #1 driver comes in, his score is zero.

The #2 driver comes in with the same number of rolls as the #3 driver ~ would they have the same score? Or would the #2 driver (having crossed the finish line before the #3 driver get .5 less than the #3 driver.

So:

#1 gets zero
#2 gets .5
#3 gets 1

Would it work this way, or would #2 and #3 both get the "one" score?

Let's say there were five cars racing, #1 gets zero, then #s2-5 all roll across the finish line with a one-dice roll finish. The scores would be:

#1 zero
#s2-5 "1" ?

Is that right? It is a pretty cool system.

As far as crashing out or DNF scores, it seems like the +10 score is a bit much. When using the 10 for 1st, 8 for 2nd 6 for 3rd a zero for DNFing is harsh but can be made up.

With your new system it seems like about four rolls is typically what the last car rolling across the finish line would get, so the +10 would be rather insurmountable in League play.

Maybe make it a "shifting variable score" for DNFing. For example, on one course those finishing #s 2-5 may *average* +2 rolls before they finish. So on that course, those that finished with a DNF would get the "Last racer's score...+2"

(Let's say the last racer's score was +3, so +3 {+2 the average} = +5)

On a different course the *average* may be +3 rolls for the #s 2-5 finishers. So those who DNF would get the "Last racer's score...+3.

(Let's say the last racer's score was +4, so +4 {+3 the average} = +7)

If that's too much then just take the average x2. In the first example the score would be +4, in the second +6.

I like your idea, and may use it in a future season with my League.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You have the right idea, only you are backward.

Run the season as normal except the winner is the player with the fewest points. Reverse your point system.

Meaning a first place finish will get a player 1 point.
A second place will earn a player 2 points.
A third place finish will earn a player 3 points.
And so on.

A DNF is worth last place plus 1. Meaning if you have 7 racers then the DNF will be worth 7 point for last place plus 1 point for the DNF equaling 8 points total for the DNF.

This system is flawless and scales perfectly if the number of racers fluctuate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thinking here.

You could have a system where 7 out of 10 races count, so then the players are allowed to have DNFs. Could make racers very cautious if a DNF is gonna cast them 10 points.
But a DNF could still cost last place + average I think. Some might DNF more than 3 races.

To solve the problem of people finishing on the same roll, you could use desimals.
Winner gets 0,1 point.
#2 and #3 are 1 roll behind so #2 gets 1,1 and #3 gets 1,2.

I think that could be a sollution.

And at the end of the season you could have a pursuit race based on the points score. Likely not very fun, but worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls