Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New York City geeks!

I'm trying to make a trip to the Big Apple during this holiday season, and I'd like to visit a few game shops while I'm there.

I've already got The Compleat Strategist on 33rd street, which looks pretty good.
Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may not need to go any further than the The Compleat Strategist. It has just about everything you could want in the board game store. I try to make a visit there each time I am in town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree. It's not great, but it's the best that Long Island offers IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the city itself, there is no other specialized store, though one at Bryant Park just for the holiday season posted their location in another thread and getting ready to open a more permanent location next year.

They did note that they only have a small portion of their planned inventory there (likely due to space constraints), so you may not find everything you want, but their prices are discounted a bit vs. the Strategist's Retail pricing on most items.

They would be about 10 blocks north of the Strategist's location. Bryant Park's holiday shops are at 42nd St. near the central library and a couple of blocks east of Times Square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Long Island?

Being spoiled by the internet I found The Compleat Strategist to be pricey, but that's to be expected - it's a store in Midtown Manhattan after all. Their selection is very good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Compleat Strategist is, indeed, chock full of games, but as earlier commenters have noted they don't really have any discounts. More important (for me, at least), I don't believe the store has set up any open gaming space, so all you can do there is buy stuff.

This probably isn't unique to NYC, but I was recently in one of the larger Barnes & Nobles (86th St. between Lexington and 3rd Ave.), and I was astonished at the size of their game section. They had a lot of the more popular games (Dominion, BSG, etc.), but also several games I consider more "niche" (Power Grid, Titan, etc.). Especially if you can get a discount coupon, that might be worth checking out, if your own local Barnes & Noble isn't as fully supplied.

EDIT: I also stopped briefly at the Bryant Park shop. It's in a really small space, but they have a lot of games there, and more important they have a table in the middle where the two very nice guys running the place are more than eager to demo games. They also have a large stock of opened games and don't seem to mind if you paw through the bits and read the rulebooks. I read elsewhere (not sure if it's still current) that they offer a 10% discount if you mention BGG to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
The Compleat Strategist is, indeed, chock full of games, but as earlier commenters have noted they don't really have any discounts.
They do have a small 50% off section.

Quote:
More important (for me, at least), I don't believe the store has set up any open gaming space, so all you can do there is buy stuff.
Not true. Several monthly game groups meet there, in a back room and also a large basement (8+ miniatures tables).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Not true. Several monthly game groups meet there, in a back room and also a large basement (8+ miniatures tables).
Really! Good to know -- sorry for the misstatement. I guess I'm more used to stores like the Game Empire Pasadena, where the playing area is right in the middle of the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
I guess I'm more used to stores like the Game Empire Pasadena, where the playing area is right in the middle of the store.
You can barely walk around the games at the Strat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonPeon wrote:
stagger lee wrote:
Long Island?

Being spoiled by the internet I found The Compleat Strategist to be pricey, but that's to be expected - it's a store in Midtown Manhattan after all. Their selection is very good...

you are totatlly internet spoiled!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls