Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Scrabble» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Extreme Scrabble: Taking Scrabble to where it's never been taken before! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
This session report recounts some remarkable events from the end of last year, when Scrabble was celebrating its 60th anniversary. The Public Relations team came up with an ingenious idea to celebrate and promote the game: spectacular pictures of Extreme Scrabble! The pictures, people and places are real, the story is my own.

The game begins where there is GAME ... wild game that is! And what better place for a casual game of Scrabble than amongst some lions?!

Here we see lion keepers Kevin Richard and Helga van Der Merwe enjoying Scrabble in a Lion Park in Lanseria, South Africa, despite the close attention of two lionesses, Meg (age 7) and Amy (age 8). Kevin, you didn't really play the word ANTELOPE did you?

Perhaps Scrabble is more of an area control game than what we first thought? It could also prove quite meaty! It certainly gives new meaning to the concept of a press-your-luck game - last time I checked, there was no negotiation mechanic here!

But don't be afraid, because when you're playing Scrabble, the sky is really the limit! This was more than proven by sky divers Nicole Angelides and Ramsey Kent, who were happy to enjoy some Scrabble some 13,000ft above Florida.

How did they do it? With the help of a reinforced wooden board and adhesive pieces. Yes, it's not your typical gateway game, because you need both the plane and the parachute expansion. Mattel hired a skydiving company, Norman Kent Productions, for the photo shoot, and their guy Norman took the pictures while Ramsey and Nicole played the game.

Want to see more? There's a large gallery of pictures showing various phases of the sky diving game right here:
http://normankent.com/nkp/photo-gallery/event-photos/extreme...
Do check out the gallery - there are some stunning pictures! And some of the words on the board? SCRABBLE, SKYDIVES, READY. Methinks this was rigged! I guess that's what you sometimes get when you're playing with a travel edition! Maybe this particular session really only qualified as a filler?!

But it's time to come back to earth and dive into the sea. We join scuba divers Paul Noakes and Elizabeth Parkinson, who are playing Scrabble amid some Caribbean reef sharks while exploring a sunken ship in the Bahamas. May I suggest the word AIR, Paul? And Paul, we usually "log" plays, not "water-log" them!

We emerge from the sea, only to discover that we're on the edge of a cliff in North Wales. And what's this? Climbers John Ratcliff & Steve Franklin are merrily playing Scrabble on a portaledge! How do you spell CRAZY? Or ROPE?

Even if they lose, these chaps are both guaranteed to have a high score! Or are they playing with some kind of optional auction mechanic, where you need to keep raising your bid ... and the game? At any rate, it seems that this game is not lacking in scalability.

By now our pulse is racing, so it's time to cool off. How about a quick trip to Nuns Veil Peak in New Zealand? We join hikers Nicole Graham & Bim Hargreaves playing Scrabble at an altitude of 3000+ meters!

Is ICECOLD a legal play here? We're not surprised that the two beautiful gamer ladies have to retreat to an ice cave for the final stages of their game, as they conclude their session at the Dawin Ice Fall, Tasman Glacier. Or does being frozen enhance the replay value of a game?

Perhaps it's also time for us to beg a hasty retreat. Especially when we notice that our next gaming group has bent the rules to allow an alligator to compete with them.

Do those letters spell DANGER? I hope that theme park owner Tim Williams is correct that this particular gator has a bad case of Analysis Paralysis right now! If not, this particular session of Scrabble could quickly turn into a dexterity game!

And with that, we come to the end of our Scrabble world tour, 2008 edition. We've seen some of the game's highs and lows in this world wide session. But above all, we've seen games and gamers at their best - having fun! Kudos to the PR team at Scrabble for commissioning and releasing these shots to promote the game. Now pardon me, while I go spell EXTREME for a 50 point bonus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely hilarious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Let me suggest a new strategy: let the alligator win."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dayton
NV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of going to such great lengths to add some excitement to the game, why not just play something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geekball Season 2 - No rest for the weary
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joedogboy wrote:
Instead of going to such great lengths to add some excitement to the game, why not just play something else?

Because we can? I may find Scrabble boring as hell but I did find the photos wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff! I would absolutely play Scrabble anywhere, anytime but those shots are beyond ridiculous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Elbek
Denmark
flag msg tools
Helga van Der Merwe...as in Wickus Van Der Merwe's wife?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls