• [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
wow. There better be no Games Workshop title in their range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooh cheap games! whistle

But seriously I know a couple of people living in China and pretty much the entire DVD industry is based on selling cheap knockoffs anyway. So not surprised that games would be any different.

Of course I wholeheartedly oppose such a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
It'll really get interesting if they start ripping off out-of-print games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodoo03 wrote:
wow. There better be no Games Workshop title in their range.
I really don't know who I'd want to win that fight. Mutually Assured Destruction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fischjello
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there -- I do some work for Atlas Games and we were just looking this over. There's not a lot of info to go by, but the truth is, we sell a LOT of copies of Once Upon a Time to East Asia. If these are knock offs, they look like incredibly high-quality knock offs. I know this can be a problem specifically if a company prints in China and the source files are there, but Atlas has only ever printed this game in the US and Belgium.

So...interesting...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
It'll really get interesting if they start ripping off out-of-print games.
If they printed Antiquity and sold it for $15 then I'd have a moral dilemma....

...Though I'd like to think I could stand strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
"the employee stated that the Chinese market is not yet affluent enough to pay the prices that licensing these products would require."

Yeah, paying money sucks - no matter how affluent you are. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There may not be much to worry about if they keep knocking off things like Mall of Horror. The pirated boardgames problem will take care of itself, as the market collapses in sheer disgust
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
But seriously I know a couple of people living in China and pretty much the entire DVD industry is based on selling cheap knockoffs anyway. So not surprised that games would be any different.
This isn't limited to China.

I have the entire M*A*S*H box set that my brother bought for me while he was stationed in Iraq. Something like $30 for the knockoff copy [poor quality video; ink-jet disc labels] vs $100 here.

The difference in quality / content seems different than these Chinese board game knockoffs, though. These look identical, whereas my M*A*S*H is a completely different looking box / quality of video.

Almost any TV series or movie series was available to him from the local "vendors" for crazy cheap. The quality varied greatly. Some discs play on American players, some don't. This avoids arbitrage.

Amazing how weird the economies of half [or more] of the world can seem to us "first-world" folks. For over 2 billion people in the world, "counterfeit" is basically the equivalent of "discount store".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one reasonable response to this- print up stickers that say 'As counterfeited in China!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Wow. You know the hobby has really reached a milestone when the Chinese start stealing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Counterfeit items coming from China? You don't say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know how this feels.

One of my scholarly articles was taken by a scholar from India. He published my article under his own name in two different Indian publications. I only found it when I was trying to get tenure, and searching for everything about my work.

His response? "Oh, I tried to acknolwedge you, but it didn't come across in the publishing process."

(Some) People suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a big shocking, but only because I really didn't think Board Gaming was a lucritive enough business to bootleg. I know there are bootleg Magic Cards and Pokemon... but Board Games? Heck, even DVDs make sense as it is so easy to do... but booting a Board Game is hard work!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fischjello
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
This is a big shocking, but only because I really didn't think Board Gaming was a lucritive enough business to bootleg. I know there are bootleg Magic Cards and Pokemon... but Board Games? Heck, even DVDs make sense as it is so easy to do... but booting a Board Game is hard work!! :what:
So THIS is what shocks you!
:P
~b
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Chinese aren't the first to pirate board games. Some well-known companies do it with their regular product lines:

Tensão Total is a rip-off of Diamant/Diamant
Prawo Dżungli and Jungle Jam rip-off Jungle Speed
Narrow is a rip-off of Octiles
Blokád is a rip-off of Blokus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
This is a big shocking, but only because I really didn't think Board Gaming was a lucritive enough business to bootleg. I know there are bootleg Magic Cards and Pokemon... but Board Games? Heck, even DVDs make sense as it is so easy to do... but booting a Board Game is hard work!!
This is what I thought as well. I am actually in China now, and games are pretty hard to come by here, so I'm not sure which city they are referring to.. (I'm in Beijing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
So that's why my $39.95 copy of Spase Howk is of such poor quality!
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This surprises me.

I wonder how they managed to create well-crafted counterfeits like these. Oftentimes, with clothing, companies will actually be the true-manufacturers of the product, but then go on making more of the item after the contract (or sell the items on the black market if the parent company rejects the quality of the clothes). This helps explain how these companies create similar products on items that are incredibly diverse (from a production standpoint).

Unless these games were published by Chinese companies, which then went ahead and kept publishing their own version... I really can't see companies out-right copying other games with that level of quality and no "insider knowledge" of making the product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
I know how this feels.

One of my scholarly articles was taken by a scholar from India. He published my article under his own name in two different Indian publications. I only found it when I was trying to get tenure, and searching for everything about my work.

His response? "Oh, I tried to acknolwedge you, but it didn't come across in the publishing process."

(Some) People suck.
You should inform whatever university he is working for. I suspect, if he is in academia, that others will mock him relentlessly for his dishonesty (after all... isn't that why people earn phds ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fischjello
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have worked with boardgame publishers in the past who would find knock-offs of their games (or game components) on ebay from China, selling to the US and Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:
snicholson wrote:
I know how this feels.

(Some) People suck.
You should inform whatever university he is working for. I suspect, if he is in academia, that others will mock him relentlessly for his dishonesty (after all... isn't that why people earn phds ).
Some countries are a little more lax when it comes to plagiarism. In North America, Europe and other areas of the world, this sort of thing would be grounds for a firin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:
This surprises me.

I wonder how they managed to create well-crafted counterfeits like these. Oftentimes, with clothing, companies will actually be the true-manufacturers of the product, but then go on making more of the item after the contract (or sell the items on the black market if the parent company rejects the quality of the clothes). This helps explain how these companies create similar products on items that are incredibly diverse (from a production standpoint).

Unless these games were published by Chinese companies, which then went ahead and kept publishing their own version... I really can't see companies out-right copying other games with that level of quality and no "insider knowledge" of making the product.
All a board game is, for production, is a handful of PDF (or maybe editable PSD) files and some specifications. So if you're a chinese manufacturer, or an unscrupulous employee at one, all you have to do is sell a flash drive with the files on it -- package up rules in chinese and presto! Instant localization. It's not surprising at all. It is one reason amongst many not to print in China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:
snicholson wrote:
I know how this feels.

(Some) People suck.
I would hope that Indian universities would at least have the balls to look a thief in the eyes, call him a thief, and kick his arse to the street. Unfortunately, the large part of the software industry over there does not. One of the reasons I'll never regret having left IT, as much as I liked the people and the job. ><

But to the OP's point, yeah. China ripping off something. Film at 11? This is a known problem, and one that in all honesty the Chinese government doesn't really care about fixing. At least not at this level. Quit buying stuff from China, stop licensing any production in China at all, etc (read: dry up their money stream) and you might start seeing a modicum of effort to stop the rampant unauthorized reproduction for profit. Given the amount of money involved for all parties, though, it's not bloody likely to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] |