Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad G
United States
Overland Park
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been board and miniature gaming since 1975. Cut my teeth on Napoleonic miniatures. This is the Napoleonic strategy game I've been looking for for years. I've played GMT's Napoleonic Wars 2nd edition (great game, but lengthy), Napoleon in Europe (Eagle Games), War and Peace (Avalon Hill), Empire in Arms (Avalon Hill) and Age of Napoleon is the one I can play in an evening with 1 other opponent and come away with a great feel for the period. Lot's of interesting choices including specific maneuvers, the corp capabilities are dependent on the quality of the leader both in terms of battle power (Battle Rating), initiative (Movement Rating) and standing (Seniority Rating) which is perfect. The Britannia card doesn't mention it but clearly represents the battle of Trafalgar or similar event where the British manage to come to grips with the French fleets and decisively beat them. Last play it didn't happen till 1812 which prevented major British operations, as it should. Lots of interesting events in which the commanders had to make key decisions with consequences but for which the resolution was not drawn out over several turns. I lost and loved it, which is not generally my nature. The criticism that the diplomacy cards have a large impact in the game is valid, and critical towards giving the game the kind of replay value and turns that the real wars had. Some read history and believe that what occurred was always inevitable and every game must guide things in that direction. When speaking about the verisimilitude of diplomacy between multiple Monarch's and their egotistical foreign ministers in a pre-information age this is ridiculous. The diplomatic swings are what makes the game both realistic and re-playable.

I give this game a high rating and will continue to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Last play it didn't happen till 1812

The Brtish player can pick it up from the discard pile. Did he not bother ? How did that happen ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad G
United States
Overland Park
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. As the Coalition I wasn't careful in fishing through the French discards at the beginning of the Strategy phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B
United States
Leawood
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of my favorites as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad,

Welcome to the Clan. This is my favourite also.

Another older Grognard.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chad. Here's a thumbsup from another older Grog... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.