Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just obtained a copy of AIW last week. I've played PB/PL some, so I'm familiar with the basic mechanics. I decided to break it out and play a solitaire game. I decided on B-3, Tel Maschara, because it only had armor and didn't look like it would take too long.

In B-3, the Israelis have 7 Shermans (Morale B) set up on the board. The Iraqis (Morale D) have 18 T-55s and come rolling on down one of the two roads in neat stacks of 2. The Israelis get 3 VP for each Iraqi unit killed, while the Iraqis get 4 VP for each Israeli unit destroyed and 1 VP for each unit exited off the board.

I set up the Israelis to cover both roads in hull down positions. The Iraqis came in on the north road. Early on turn 2, the lead Iraqi unit came within 2 hexes of a hidden Israeli unit, which opened up with op/fire. Of the two lead Iraqi tanks, one was immediately turned into a wreck, while the other was dispersed (and stayed dispersed for most of the game).

Tank for tank, the Israelis in HD positions can slaughter the weaker and poor morale Iraqis. But even if each Israeli take disperses on Iraqi in a turn, the remaining 11 Iraqi tanks are free to roam. It quickly became a cat-and-mouse game of trying to force the Israelis to take shots, while still having the ability to flank their positions (to get non-HD shots) and threaten overrun.

Of course, the Israelis have split move and fire in this scenario. So they would fire (usually op/fire), and then fall back to the next HD position in the movement phase. Occasionally, an Israeli unit would get swarmed around and unable to fall back. Then the Iraqis would form a big firegroup and take out the Israeli unit. While the Iraqis were taking heavy losses, each Israeli tank destroyed left gaping holes in the line with no covering fire.

One by one the Israeli tanks were rounded up and destroyed until only three remained--1 in the north, and 2 in the south. At this point, the Iraqis had 9 tanks left (they had lost 9 to the Israeli 4). True to form, the Iraqis concentrated on the northern flank, sacrificing one tank while three others moved into overrun positions, taking out the defending Israeli.

At this point (turn 9), I did a quick VP tally. The Iraqis had 20 VPs (5 Israeli units destroyed), while the Israelis had 30 VP (10 Iraqi units destroyed). The Iraqis would get their 8 tanks off the board with ease, but that would give them only 28 VP. They were too far away from the remaining Israeli tanks in the south to force action, guaranteeing an Israeli victory. So I decided to call it off and end it with an Israeli victory, 30-28.

On the whole, it seemed to be a fairly balanced scenario. It's fast-moving. The mechanics are similar to the other games in the series, but I liked AIW a bit better--you don't have the "Panzerbush" tactics because there is op/fire and not a lot of terrain. It's more a race to take up hulldown positions to increase the odds, while the Arabs are constantly trying to overwhelm the Israelis and outflank the HD positions. I think it's a very solid and fast-moving game, and I look forward to playing it again in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play the Israelis too because they can split move/fire. Also their armor is so much better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sure seems that a large percentage of wargame session reports are solo.

I actually own this game and bought it a million years ago it seems. With most euro games it's a group playing but the ole hex and CRT table games are fading away and it's either solo or some dude via a computer which is NOT the same thing as sitting down to play a game.

I will admit I miss 1776 and Wooden Ships and Iron Men...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree. I bought this before seeing the other 2 games. The other 2 games pale against this version. I played this one quite a bit back in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:

I actually own this game and bought it a million years ago it seems. With most euro games it's a group playing but the ole hex and CRT table games are fading away and it's either solo or some dude via a computer which is NOT the same thing as sitting down to play a game.

The only games I ever play ftf are things like Settlers of Catan or Ticket to Ride. I don't recall the last time I've played a ftf wargame. I pretty much always play those solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone the PBEM route. Playing NWS and GWAS right now. Umpired naval games are very fun PBEM style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cartwright wrote:
Rastak wrote:

The only games I ever play ftf are things like Settlers of Catan or Ticket to Ride. I don't recall the last time I've played a ftf wargame. I pretty much always play those solo.

I played many F2F back in the 70's but there is no way I'd convince anyone I know now to play. I do get memoir 44 games in but that's a wargame lite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.