Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I'll take your copy if you won't be needing it anymore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nichols
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom. thanks for the candid review! I would have loved a game that thematically addresses Atlantis (one of my favorite myths). Regrettably, this game has claimed an otherwise great title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae Ha Woo
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, quite a few people here seem to think that this is a decent enough game, so it would be interesting to hear their response to this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
What's Your Game?
badge
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like a boring Big Points ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
It reminded me a little of That's Life! but unlike Tom, I enjoyed Atlantis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, you didn't like the game? Right? Want to make sure I'm understanding.

Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't always agree with Tom and this is one of them. I enjoyed the game. I even lost though I finished first! There is a strategy.........either move fast or pick up more points. In our 3 player game I lost to another who was close to me and the third player was way back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cherocoy wrote:
LOL - I always love it when Tom is perfectly forthright about his opinion! Seeing how much Tom hates this one, now I've Really got to try it!

This kind of seems like a Candyland variant for adults. Knowing that Candyland made Melody's list, I wonder if she liked it? At the very least, it probably should have been marketed differently...

Agreed. Candyland was the first thing I thought of when he showed that first card.

Really like the review. Negative reviews always seem to add a ton more credibility to a reviewer (not that Tom needed any more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Veilleux
Canada
Levis
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review Tom! But I must admit that I really enjoyed this game. It plays fast and it is a fun light "filler" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
unfathomable wrote:
Well, quite a few people here seem to think that this is a decent enough game, so it would be interesting to hear their response to this...

Knizia'a Tutankhamen seems at least a little deeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
I absolutely despise this game... I have never wanted to quit a game so badly.
A subjective/emotional reaction that is quite valid for you but does not match our own. Purchased solely on the basis of reading the rules, we immediately played five times in a row upon opening it. More again the next day, eagerly. (which didn't happen, by the way, for the similar concept in That's Life!)

TomVasel wrote:
the track is set up randomly ...
you never knew what the other person was going to play. The board changed.
those same qualities might apply to many games and be the basis for favorable reactions

TomVasel wrote:
You basically just make the best move right then and now.
...just way too random yet it seemed to be "thinky"
I think there's too much chaos in this game
Ahhh, OK. In the luck/strategy balance this may indeed be more weighted to luck. Nonetheless we have so far felt quite engaged by the "thinky" process we go through on each turn and have been happily entertained by the game overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Having watched the video, I'm still not sure why you so strongly dislike the game. The theme? Obviously absurd (but hey - it's a euro). The somewhat chaotic tactical play? As you said - maybe you should have taken more note of the designer. Beyond that, I'm still a bit unclear.

To be honest, the overall tone felt more like a snarky rant than review. Let's hope you have more fun playing the next game you choose to review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Steese
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like Tom played a game where his wife was a runaway leader, which can be frustrating. I haven't played the game, but after reading the rules, I can see it being a problem.

Since you get to draw an extra card every turn for every meeple you get to the mainland, if you can get one there a lot faster than everyone else with some lucky cards, you'll have a big advantage for the rest of the game. And with seven different colors of tiles, I can easily see a setup where one color is much farther away than any others, letting someone with a lucky hand being able to jump ahead.

It's hard to tell how big of a problem this is without playing the game a bunch, but it seemed to at least happen Tom once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I enjoy Tom's reviews but I often disagree with them. Like the positive review of that stinker Railroad Tycoon. But I didn't disagree enough to comment. Today, I feel I must.

This has been our most popular, most played game since we got Dominion last year. Everyone I have played it with loved it. EVERYONE. Yes, it's chaotic, but it's also pretty short. It's got surprising depth and we figure out more strategies each game. The board is beautiful and I actually think the theme fits really well. You gather treasures as Atlantis sinks around you. As more water appears, you have to ditch more treasures. It totally works.

I dunno, to each his own, of course. I mean I still can't understand why anyone would want to play El Grande so we all have our unique opinions. But I'm telling you, we play a lot of games and this one is fantastic. Try it a couple times before you write it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

I have to say, I haven't found either Cartagena or Cartagena II even remotely stimulating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug Garrett from Garrett’s Games and Geekiness was pretty down on this game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the kids knew to stay well away from that door when you were reviewing this game eh laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brenton t vallade
United States
Trenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard a review of this game last week from the game kennel (who seem to only give positive reviews to mayfair games) and I didn't even make it through the review. I immediately deemed this one a turd. This review only confirms that it is just that. This is the first time I have ever given such a harsh opinion of a game I have never played but....it looks like a turd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Speculation:

From watching Atlantis being played on BSW, I think your complaint about the "runaway" pawn is a non-issue. Basically, if you get one of your pawns to the mainland, your other two pawns will have to pay a lot of points to cross the water that the other slower players have been making. This catchup mechanism seems to balance the game well enough.

I will try the game at some point and then tell you whether this speculation is right or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I want to know, is if Tom liked Cartegena. Would he play that one instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartagena is okay - I don't mind playing it, although I wouldn't pick it. So yes, it's better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
Cartagena is okay - I don't mind playing it, although I wouldn't pick it. So yes, it's better.

With the impending move back to the states, I am sure you wont be picking much of anything up for the next several months laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
It's kinda of like a race game, but the first guy that gets far enough ahead wins.

Um... isn't that the point of a race?

From the video, it just seems like you played as randomly as the game appeared to you. And guess what - the game was just like you envisioned it to be - random. Is that the game or the player?

I appreciate a harsh review, but you can do better than this, Tom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |