Nice Joe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work Joe! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OCS review - great stuff!

Dunno if I agree with the complexity of the game. I think it's a piece of cake compared to a lot of wargames out there. But perhaps I've played it too much to look at it from a beginners point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the people who look at my videos would think that this is a very complex game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished playing my second game of this.

V4 rules are not all that recent, two games have come out previously with them (Burma and Case Blue), so it isn't a must in that sense to get the new rules and they have been out for a couple years.

For those that know little about OCS here are a few tidbits about Baltic gap and OCS if you don't know anything -

OCS is an operational level hex and counter game 5 miles per hex (usually) and generally 1/2 week turns.

Download the rules here
http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/ocs.htm

It is heavily supply focused, a great deal of the game involves managing and tracking supply, which is physically moved around the map. This is much less effort than you might think.

It is relatively straight forward compared to tactical games, but it is still heavy. The biggest hurdle to learning OCS is overcoming the sheer mind boggling depth that comes from a large scale and three dimensional supply system.

It provided almost unparalleled historic feel and very deep game play. The sides feel very different to play, but this is accomplished very subtlety without the heavy hand of game mechanics being apparent (largely through force organization).

Baltic gap more specifically is a heavily Asymmetric game, the Germans lack supplies and men, but the fighting takes place in heavy terrain and they have some excellent units. Despite the overwhelming superiority in numbers the Russian, there is opportunity for german counter attack and the result is a tense game, where both sides have to watch their moves.

Baltic gap features several very innovative mechanics in addition to OCS's wonderful arsenal of mechanics. In particular there is a catch up mechanism and a cool VP timetable adding yet another layer of decision making.

When I release my podcast hopefully in a few weeks about OCS and baltic gap I'll give more, but I wanted to fill in a few details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great mini review, Colin. Looking forward to the podcast. Keep us posted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.