Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The NEW version of WhatToPlay is out!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9266150


Please use the link above for all further discussion of the application. Thank you!





I've spent several weeks now building a program called WhatToPlay. It lets you load your BGG collection, filter by number of players, playing time, weight, mechanics, and much more. Then you can view details, comments and polls about each game. Think I Don't Know, What Do You Want To Play? in digital form.

The program works in Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Special note: The first time WhatToPlay loads a collection, it may take a few minutes if you are loading thousands of games. After that, though, it will use the information it has cached and load very quickly, until you decide you want to update it again.

If you download WhatToPlay and try it, I would love to hear your feedback! Please send me a private message or post in this thread with your feedback, and with anything you'd like to see added/enhanced. I've spent a lot of time and hard work on the program, and I want it to be a valued tool for BGG members.

Download here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/57860. Be sure to grab the AIR framework first, if you don't have it, at http://get.adobe.com/air. It's a simple and very light install.

mb Edit: A Microbadge is now available! Thanks again to Topper Harley for creating it. mb





455 
 Thumb up
374
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
- Can the list of items be cached too? Now, if you scroll down and up again the whole list has to be redrawn.
- I don't like it that the app is always on top.

Other than that, very nice program.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Topper Harley wrote:
- Can the list of items be cached too? Now, if you scroll down and up again the whole list has to be redrawn.
- I don't like it that the app is always on top.

Other than that, very nice program.


Thanks! Can you please let me know what OS you're using? That will help me solve the issues you reported. There's no reason it should always be on top...

Also, one way to avoid the list redraw, if it's giving you issues, is to switch to grid view using the "View As" dropdown.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome! I've downloaded it and I'm trying to start it up for the first time, but it keeps hanging while doing the stats loading step. First time was around 31%, second time was around 37%. I'm running Windows XP. Not sure if it matters, but my collection is fairly large, around 1200 items.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it possibly a bug?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
Looks awesome! I've downloaded it and I'm trying to start it up for the first time, but it keeps hanging while doing the stats loading step. First time was around 31%, second time was around 37%. I'm running Windows XP. Not sure if it matters, but my collection is fairly large, around 1200 items.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it possibly a bug?

Hmm, I was able to load your collection without any issue. I also tested with collections of 2000+ during development, so I'm not sure what the problem might be. If other people report similar issues, I may have to find a work-around. Please let me know if you're able to get it going.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! It did seem to have some loading issues a couple times for me though. I am running Windows XP.

1. The first time I started it, I told it to get all of my owned, rated, played, and commented games. It got them, but then during the second step of the downloading phase (getting stats I think), the process got to about 86% and then stopped. I had put it in the background while I did other things. I closed and reopened it and just got "owned" things and it worked (didn't background it that time).

2. The "Talk me Into it/Out of it" feature can seems to hang sometimes. It just shows the "Searching" bar for a long time. It timed out at least once. But then sometimes it loads pretty quick. I'm assuming it is pulling this info off of BGG, so like above maybe a problem with the app->BGG connection.

3. In the "Polls" window, when I hover over bars in "Language Dependence" it says "Votes: Undefined" (the other parts of that window show the vote counts normally). Not something I'd use much anyway, so not a big deal to me, but just happened to notice it poking around.

While we're here, some things that would be cool:

1. The ability to look at your Geekbuddys comments for a game. Random positive/negative comments are a cool feature, but being able to grab the comments of the folks you have indicated as friends would be a nice touch.

2. Ability to select a random game from a filtered set (i.e. the "What do You Want to Play" algorithm). "Random Game" just gets a random game from my whole collection.

Thanks for all the work you've clearly put into this!

Edit: I suck at end-parenthesis and at life.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Cool! It did seem to have some loading issues a couple times for me though. I am running Windows XP.

1. The first time I started it, I told it to get all of my owned, rated, played, and commented games. It got them, but then during the second step of the downloading phase (getting stats I think), the process got to about 86% and then stopped. I had put it in the background while I did other things. I closed and reopened it and just got "owned" things and it worked (didn't background it that time).

2. The "Talk me Into it/Out of it" feature can seems to hang sometimes. It just shows the "Searching" bar for a long time. It timed out at least once. But then sometimes it loads pretty quick. I'm assuming it is pulling this info off of BGG, so like above maybe a problem with the app->BGG connection.

3. In the "Polls" window, when I hover over bars in "Language Dependence" it says "Votes: Undefined" (the other parts of that window show the vote counts normally). Not something I'd use much anyway, so not a big deal to me, but just happened to notice it poking around.

While we're here, some things that would be cool:

1. The ability to look at your Geekbuddys comments for a game. Random positive/negative comments are a cool feature, but being able to grab the comments of the folks you have indicated as friends would be a nice touch.

2. Ability to select a random game from a filtered set (i.e. the "What do You Want to Play" algorithm). "Random Game" just gets a random game from my whole collection.

Thanks for all the work you've clearly put into this!

Edit: I suck at end-parenthesis and at life.


Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

A few responses:
- I will work on preventing the load from hanging.
- Talk me into / out of is indeed doing a load from BGG in an (unfortunately) roundabout way. Hopefully if this program is successful we can persuade the admins to beef up the XML API a bit.
- The "Language" hover was a good catch, and will be fixed in the next version.
- Geekbuddy comments are an interesting idea. I don't think a user's Geekbuddy list is available through the API, but I'll see what I can do.
- "Random Game" does use the filtered set. Use the controls on the left side of the screen to filter the collection down, then click Random Game to choose one at random from those still shown.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the program. It looks interesting.

Unfortunately it's hanging for me while Loading Stats too. I'm running XP.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilikai wrote:

Thanks! Can you please let me know what OS you're using? That will help me solve the issues you reported. There's no reason it should always be on top...

Windows 7 x64, but now it is gone. It was definitely there, because i tried to find options or preferences, but couldn't find any. Never had this happening to other programs.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilikai wrote:

- I will work on preventing the load from hanging.


Thanks - I just tried a 3rd time and the whole thing crashed in the mid-20% while loading stats.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
Thanks for the program. It looks interesting.

Unfortunately it's hanging for me while Loading Stats too. I'm running XP.
Darn. All right, working on a solution for this now. Should have an updated version within the next hour or so.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Young
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It downloads my collection but then stops.

I see the "Load Collection" dialog, and it says "Analysis Complete" but that dialog doesn't go away and there's no close button...

I'm on Ubuntu 9.1 if it helps...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I (hopefully) fixed the stats hang. It'll load them a little slower now, but should be worth it for them to not hang.

If you've already installed WhatToPlay, just run it again and it will prompt you to update.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Stein
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it on my MacBook running 10.6, and it has been working well so far.


I notice that the data in the history section of a game goes up to January 16th. Are you extrapolating somehow, or do you have a killer magic ball?


ETA: I notice that under the categories under the filtering options show all possible categories, including categories that you have no games for (e.g. I have no wargames, but I still see the wargame option). Would it be possible to only show relevant categories? Same thing for mechanics.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Young
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilikai wrote:
Okay, I (hopefully) fixed the stats hang. It'll load them a little slower now, but should be worth it for them to not hang.

If you've already installed WhatToPlay, just run it again and it will prompt you to update.


Not hurrying you, but my "Load Collection" Dialog is still just sitting there, even with the updated version... Are there any diagnostics I can get for you, or am I missing something obvious?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lflurie wrote:
I tried it on my MacBook running 10.6, and it has been working well so far.


I notice that the data in the history section of a game goes up to January 16th. Are you extrapolating somehow, or do you have a killer magic ball? :)
Glad to hear it.

The date issue was a bug, thanks for catching it! Adding to next update.

Edit: and thanks for the mechanics/categories suggestions -- I thought I was doing that already but was able to replicate your issue when trying again. I'll check it out.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tssgery wrote:
Not hurrying you, but my "Load Collection" Dialog is still just sitting there, even with the updated version... Are there any diagnostics I can get for you, or am I missing something obvious?
I'm not sure what to tell you. Are you loading your "owned" collection? Loading your collection works fine for me and I'm not sure how to diagnose it. Can anyone else try loading the collection for tssgery and tell us if you see the issue?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Young
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilikai wrote:
tssgery wrote:
Not hurrying you, but my "Load Collection" Dialog is still just sitting there, even with the updated version... Are there any diagnostics I can get for you, or am I missing something obvious?
I'm not sure what to tell you. Are you loading your "owned" collection? Loading your collection works fine for me and I'm not sure how to diagnose it. Can anyone else try loading the collection for tssgery and tell us if you see the issue?


My son, running on MACOS, can load my collection just fine (we are trying just the 'owned')... It's got to be something with my system... I am running the 64bit Adobe Flash so maybe that's my problem.

Don't worry about me... I've got another computer I can run it on if I'm the only one that sees this...

And, the app looks great BTW... very handy!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I get "A download error occurred. Try to download again?" when clicking "INSTALL NOW".

I'm on Ubuntu 9.10 with Firefox 3.5.6 and Adobe Flash 10.0.32.18.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Young
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tssgery wrote:
Wilikai wrote:
tssgery wrote:
Not hurrying you, but my "Load Collection" Dialog is still just sitting there, even with the updated version... Are there any diagnostics I can get for you, or am I missing something obvious?
I'm not sure what to tell you. Are you loading your "owned" collection? Loading your collection works fine for me and I'm not sure how to diagnose it. Can anyone else try loading the collection for tssgery and tell us if you see the issue?


My son, running on MACOS, can load my collection just fine (we are trying just the 'owned')... It's got to be something with my system... I am running the 64bit Adobe Flash so maybe that's my problem.

Don't worry about me... I've got another computer I can run it on if I'm the only one that sees this...

And, the app looks great BTW... very handy!


I got it... turns out the problem was I was running the 32bit Air (Adobe does not have a 64 bit version for Linux) and the 64bit version of flash.

Here is what I did to get it to work (from the Adobe AIR Knowledgebase)...

Quote:
eric@ubuntu:/opt/WhatToPlay/share/META-INF/AIR$ sudo getlibs -l libgnome-keyring.so
libgnome-keyring.so: libgnome-keyring-dev
The following i386 packages will be installed:
libgnome-keyring-dev
Continue [Y/n]? y
Downloading ...
Installing libraries ...
eric@ubuntu:/opt/WhatToPlay/share/META-INF/AIR$ sudo getlibs -l libgnome-keyring.so.0
libgnome-keyring.so.0: libgnome-keyring0
The following i386 packages will be installed:
libgnome-keyring0
Continue [Y/n]? y
Downloading ...
Installing libraries ...
eric@ubuntu:/opt/WhatToPlay/share/META-INF/AIR$ sudo getlibs -l libgnome-keyring.so.0.1.1
libgnome-keyring.so.0.1.1: libgnome-keyring0
The following i386 packages will be installed:
libgnome-keyring0
Continue [Y/n]? y
Downloading ...
Installing libraries ...
eric@ubuntu:/opt/WhatToPlay/share/META-INF/AIR$ sudo cp /usr/lib/libadobecertstore.so /usr/lib32

5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
I get "A download error occurred. Try to download again?" when clicking "INSTALL NOW".

I'm on Ubuntu 9.10 with Firefox 3.5.6 and Adobe Flash 10.0.32.18.
Try refreshing the page and clicking the image again. Unfortunately this one's largely out of my hands.

Thank you everyone for the feedback and bug reports -- I appreciate them!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It took 3 tries to get the Stats to Download. Otherwise - way cool!!!! Thank you very much for this.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Very nice. No problems running or anything.

I'd like to download all my Owned games but then hide those that are also marked For Trade or some other status. Is that possible?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeldavidcox wrote:
Very nice. No problems running or anything.

I'd like to download all my Owned games but then hide those that are also marked For Trade or some other status. Is that possible?
Thanks, glad to hear it.

What you're looking for isn't a current option, no. I can find a way to add it if there's demand, though.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks awesome!

The one request I'd make is for an option to sort by user rating as well as BGG rating.

I don't much care what the rest of you people think of my games
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.