Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Fuller
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, let me begin by saying that the amount of work required to build this game, along with it's sister "Bloody Mary" is quite daunting. However, if you are willing to invest some time, this free downloadable game will reward your efforts!
I used sticker paper for the board, and carefully cut out and placed the segments on a foamfilled posterboad, then trimmed to fit. I placed the board for "Bloody Mary" on the opposite side. For the cards, i printed on to nice linen card stock, cut out and then hit all the corners with a nifty little sculpted corner punch. For the markers I printed on sticker paper and affixed them to 1 1/4" square wooden tiles available from lara's crafts (purchased at Michaels). I colored the edges of these markers with Sharpie pens to help differentiate factions, etc.

The play: WOW! Brought this out with my regular game group this past Wednesday. We had a group of five players, so we started with Henry VIII and then moved on to "Mary".
This was an introductory session to the entire group, none of us had ever played before, and a bit of a departure from our normal fare. We browsed the rules to highlight the important aspects of play, set up the game and dove right in.
I must report that we were very pleasantly surprised by the subleties involved in this little gem of a game!! After posturing our way through the first turn (about 50 minutes of game play), we had the mechanics well figured out and could focus on the underhanded social aspects of the game. As each turn progressed, comments about the game continued: " This is cool" "I like this" "I think I really like this game", etc., etc. As the game continued, we became more and more comfortable with it as a whole, and by the time Henry died (Turn 5) we all realised that we had come to the end of a great game. By the time the game ended, we had invested about 3 hours in the play of the game and another hour in preparation, rules familiarzation and set-up. If you do not enjoy games that take 3-4 hours, you probable won't get much out of HENRY, but if your game days are truly Game Days, then I (we) highly recommend this one!!!
All in all the entire group really enjoyed it and we realized that we surely will play it again. The game is rich in theme, the components are well thought out and the rules are pretty clear cut with example play provided by the author. I have spent far more for games that weren't nearly as fun as this little number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the 1st review in 6 years! I printed this game out a few years ago but haven't gotten around to playing yet. It does look really interesting. Did you also review Bloody Mary? A link to it from here, for the lazy like myself, would be appreciated.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cwissy
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of some photos of what you constructed?meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Fuller
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In reponse to the "Mary" question, I did not write a review for the first play. Sadly, we found the game less enjoyable than Henry, but in order to be fair, if I am to write a review, I will leave it for a different session. The components for both are equally well done, and some components can be shared (markers, for instance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Fuller
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Photos uploaded to the Henry VIII main page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Stevens
Australia
Gunghalin
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for your very kind review Gordon. I hope you enjoy Henry, Bloody Mary, and Mesopotamia for years to come.

Garry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.