Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion forum for the January 2010 European Maths Trade

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/50187/january-2010-eu-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, here we go again... with more items thumbsup and OLWLG thumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, once again, to Chris for organising this.

May I put a question out there for discussion please? I am in the latest US trade as well and I notice that they seem to rarely, if ever, limit the number of entries per person into a Math Trade. I know the argument for the European and UK Math Trades has always been the concern about keeping the standards up, but does anyone really think that making a Math Trade unlimited will noticably lower the standard of entries?

My personal opinion is that it may produce an additional, but very small number of low quality items, but unless people are being particularly stupid, even weaker offerings may produce some possible trades and overall I would expect the number of trades to rise in line with the increased number of entries. I would guess that a lot of people struggle to reach 7 possible entries now, so opening the potential flood gates will not produce anywhere near a deluge of iffy items.

Comments anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pymm
England
melton mowbray
leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah why not, I don't have a problem with that.

It's got to be better than people having an item that takes up half a page because they offer a choice of 50 games.

Steve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before using the OLWLG it was a case of balancing the amount of work for me against the quality of trades.

Now that's not an issue.

I've increased the number this time and will monitor how it goes. If there are no problems and no signs of a tidal wave of tat I'll probably drop the limit altogether for the March trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the OLWLG the possible higher amount of low value items should be no problem to handle (or ignore). The main reason why I also restrict my German trade is that if a user does not send his games, the number of victims is limited.

From my point of view being able to add more items could actually increase the quality of my offers. When I think about adding a heavier/larger item I come to the conclusion that I would be ending up with a very small wishlist for the item because the value of the item plus 20 EUR shipping costs is hard to match. So I leave these items out of the trade. With being able to add more items I will probably start to give those larger and heavier items a try despite small chances of actually trading them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Chris, another whinge.

Can we look out for the other Math Trades going on when finalising dates please? I am probably the only person affected, but the latest U.S one is ending on the 6th and you on the 7th, making it difficult to add untraded games from the U.S one to the European one in such a short space of time.

As I say, probably only hits me, but it could lose that one game that was maybe a deal breaker - you never know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
What's to keep you from trading in the following European Math Trade ? Is there some sort of urgency ? If the game is good, it's got it chances in most math trades anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arnest_r wrote:
What's to keep you from trading in the following European Math Trade ? Is there some sort of urgency ? If the game is good, it's got it chances in most math trades anyway...
I will be trading in the next one of course. I'm not saying that any of my games are special, but all Trades benefit the more people that take part. There are a couple of very good games in the U.S Trade that I hope to get and I am sure that equally good ones will appear in the Euro trade as well. All I am suggesting is to try to allow as many people as possible with as many games as possible to take part in as many Math Trades as possible.
Simply a suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
Sorry Chris, another whinge.

Can we look out for the other Math Trades going on when finalising dates please? I am probably the only person affected, but the latest U.S one is ending on the 6th and you on the 7th, making it difficult to add untraded games from the U.S one to the European one in such a short space of time.

As I say, probably only hits me, but it could lose that one game that was maybe a deal breaker - you never know!
I usually run the European trade on the first weekend of every other month, so hopefully in the future you'll be able to predict when they'll fall. The start of the month fits in best with my work and personal commitments.

Also, with the advent of the German and UK maths trades in the "off" months it makes sense to stick to a schedule to prevent a pile-up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any reason why RPG's cannot be added?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugh, I almost missed it! We're still on holidays (until the Epiphany) and I forgot to check.

Let's add some wargames!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlima wrote:
Any reason why RPG's cannot be added?
I could have sworn that I'd checked the RPG box. Hmmm.

Anyway, it's fixed now. You can add RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
Ugh, I almost missed it! We're still on holidays (until the Epiphany) and I forgot to check.

Let's add some wargames!
You should subscribe to the Math Trade's Notification Thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/218951
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dates for the diary
Here's the timetable for 2010 European trades.

March 6th
May 1st
July 3rd
September 4th
November 6th

Each date is a Saturday, although if it looks like I'll be away at the weekend it may start on the preceding Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:

Let's add some wargames!
Maybe time for a wargame only MT. I have a few wargames waiting to move on.

Any volunteers (excluding a computer dinosaur like me!)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian C.
Netherlands
Lepelstraat
flag msg tools
Scared of tax admin Evil Bob?
badge
Contact Me 262 Schwalbe's GG laundry service now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Only the first 300 items show up in the want list generator. Am I doing something wrong?

Kris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The list owner has to update that list periodically You will see delays like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian C.
Netherlands
Lepelstraat
flag msg tools
Scared of tax admin Evil Bob?
badge
Contact Me 262 Schwalbe's GG laundry service now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
The list owner has to update that list periodically You will see delays like that.
Thanks for the quick reply! I thought it changed on the fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Having not used the OLWG before I just wondered if it automatically acts as if a dummy list has been created in the event of adding duplicate games to a wants list in a multiple trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope... but there is a button clearly marked to give you a start on it. As I struggle through duplicate protection every time, I'll leave it to others to explain further... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be my first time with the OLWG, so hopefully this works :D

A small nitpick from the OP:
Quote:
If you haven't already done so, register your BGG ID on the Online Want List Generator by clicking on this link here: OLWLG Website
There's actually not a link there.

Oh, and do you HAVE to use GAMEID for sweeteners, or does the THING tag work just as well? (seems to be default now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you did use the thing-tag in item 399 then I can say that it works just fine :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, didn't wanna take the chance ^^

One other thing I didn't get though, is how you're supposed to arrange your wants (by priority). Just seems to add them in in the opposite order i've chosen (i.e. the last item I add is on the top of the list). Healp? :)

EDIT: Think I figured it out, it's the "other value" thingy, right? As long as Chris actually uses them as priorities that is ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone has to :)
I used the thing-tag in my "Pick 4 out of 30 games"-item and OLWLG correctly marked the games but since it's a generic item I guess they are not treated as sweeteners in normal items (?). All I can say is that OLWLG correctly identifies the thing-tag but not if it is treated the same way as the gameid-tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |