Popular Tags: [View All]
Teri Zevallos
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and Happy New Years
Well, i am here in Honolulu staying with friends,brought Dominion, Lost Cities, Small World to play and my friends just LOVE Dominion. I am going to give them my copy.
I was wondering if anyone has any idea if there are any good boardgame stores here (it would be a miracle) since my friend really wants to buy the expansions.
Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been 10 years since I was stationed there... but try looking up
Gateway Games
or
Gecko Games and Comics

Gecko is over the Pali highway from Honolulu and Gateway is buried in a shopping complex. I could drive you there, but don't remember where exactly.

Chevee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot Ted had a second location for Gecko:

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Honolulu-HI/Gecko-Books-Comics-...

Try that. If Ted's still around, he's an awesome dude.

If I remember correctly, Gateway's was in the Ward center.

Chevee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Zevallos
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chevee
Thank you!! We went to the Ward Center yesterday and went to Other Realms, but they barely had any boardgames. I will try the places that you suggested.

Aloha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustaNewbie wrote:
Chevee
Thank you!! We went to the Ward Center yesterday and went to Other Realms, but they barely had any boardgames. I will try the places that you suggested.

Aloha

Ah, okay. It was called Gateway when I was stationed there.
Gecko's is likely it then. Ted is usually at he one on the Pali, if he's still around.... and I'm not sure what his selection may be like. We playd a TON of CCG's there, but he always had a selection of board games as well.

Is there nothing at the malls?

Chevee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Vinson
United States
West Point
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aloha! I was voted off the island over a year ago; however, these shops should still be there:

Try 'The Armchair Adventurer'
1287 Kalani St. Suite 105
Honolulu, HI 96817
(808) 843-1250
This is in the Kalihi section of Honolulu. Small shop with a nice selection, including some hard to find titles.
[Note: Google maps has the correct address, there are some other listings with an old address for this shop.]

'Gecko Books' was already mentioned...

'Jelly's Original' in Aiea. This is in a warehouse in the vicinity of the Pearlridge Shopping Center. Probably the best game selection next to Armchair Adventurer.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/jellys-aiea

Enjoy your stay; single digit wind-chills here...cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be tough to survive in Hawaii with a game store I would think. Though when I was in Maui over Thanksgiving, there was one storefront in the strip mall for lease, and the idea did cross my mind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Would be tough to survive in Hawaii with a game store I would think. Though when I was in Maui over Thanksgiving, there was one storefront in the strip mall for lease, and the idea did cross my mind...

I owned one on Oahu while in the Marines.
The Pogo Stick was it's name.
I bought it from the previous owner... it was not easy, though Hawaii does have it's own distributor, so getting product wasn't an issue. There was a HUGE M:tG following though. Lots of people on a tiny island means there's a market for gaming... it just seems that M:tG and Role Playing are everything.

Chevee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Zevallos
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ted
Thank you!! Armchair has Dominion!! Intrigue and Seaside. We are very excited and we are on our way.

Aloha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls