Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mb
I know the accepted theory around here is to mix 1 big and 1 small box expansion for each play of Arkham Horror. Clearly this means only using the Mythos cards from the expansions you plan to play with, but what about the others? In my quick scan through the items, spells, allies, etc.. I didn't see any that were expansion specific. Do people typically leave these all shuffled together for a more varied game? What about gates? I imagine leaving the gates from the 6 expansions in might dilute the possibility of drawing a gate with your OW spot on it if you were in a non-Arkham OW, since the small box expansions only add encounters to the Arkham ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There are a ton of threads about this topic.

Here's what I'm doing though.

I've been playing each big box expansion with the core game one at a time. It's worthwhile to see how each expansion affects the base game because they essentially add mechanics that complicate the game and hasten the endgame situation.

A few tips....

1. Play with the same number of investigators as you normally would. The reason I say that is because with everything on the board, you're going to need investigators on a lot of boards which mens travel, etc. so be sure that with your normal group of folks you'll be able to manage it.

2. After playing an expansion a few times read through the items, spells, etc. cards. Don't read through the encounter ones because that's no fun! This will give you a good feel for what you want to include and what you don't in future playings.

3. Pick your favorite game mechanics. This is particularly true when you're playing with the small box expansions like King in Yellow or Black Goat. They have some cool little mechanics that mix up the game a bit and sometimes less is more. So the base game + 1 big box + 1 small box might be a good fit depending on your tastes for the specific game mechanics changes.

Ultimately it's going to come down to your preferences for what you like and don't like about the game. There's no magic mix of decks, rules mechanics, and boards that's going to be fun for everyone. If you own em all...play em all!!! That's the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be that once you put shuffle the cards into the decks, to leave them. It just is too much of a hassle to sort through them all. For mythos cards, you can ignore all cards from a expansion boards you aren't using, or you could just ignore the ones that open gates at locations that aren't in play.

Items and location encounters can pretty much be played mixed together. Personally, I like have all the encounter cards in play because of the variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mb
I can't imagine playing with the Mythos deck all mixed up and drawing a bunch of cards and discarding them without using them. I don't mind separating that deck out, but separating out all 30 would get old really fast. I think I'll just mix the mythos we are playing with and leave everything else shuffled and see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Standing on the shoulders of some others, I worked out what I consider a nice variant along these lines. Might give it a try, or do some serious thread browsing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mb
I see people talk about the KiY cards not coming up enough very often. Why don't people just shuffle the act cards into the top X cards of their mythos deck if they want them to pop up for sure?

Also, your variant seems to be aimed at people who want to play with all the expansions. I am more interested in playing with 1 big, 1 small. I just wondered what people did about the non mythos cards when they did this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Non Mythos and Non Otherworld Encounter cards should be read. It's worthwhile to know what's hanging out in those spell, skill, and item decks!!!

My favorite combo for 1 big & 1 small is currently Dunwich & KiY because both Dunwich and KiY add some pretty aggressive timers to the game. A less intense game might be Dunwich & Dark Pharoah.

Honestly the injury/madness rules that Dunwich adds should probably be added to every game you play regardless of expansions used. They make the game much more enjoyable in my opinion.

But seriously pick and choose the items, spells and skills you want to see, but play fair and don't stack the deck too badly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.