Subject: Are there any FLGS in New York? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary this year, and are planning a trip to New York to celebrate. We won't be there for long, but as my treat I get to buy a boardgame from a FLGS (if I can find one) - there aren't any that I know of anywhere near my home.

Unfortunately I don't know where such shops would be - can anyone help? I haven't been to New York for 20 years, so I would need a pretty fair idea of the location (street address and/or direction).

Many thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
New York City or New York State?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In manhattan there is the Compleat Strategist on 33rd between 5th and Madison is just about the only choice for board games that I'm aware of in manahattan. However I wouldn't call it friendly. There is also a small store in bryant park outdoor mall 44th and 6th avenue I believe? But I don't know how long they are going to be open for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
New York City or New York State?
New York City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Compleat Strategist ... went there once, when holidaying in NY.
Round the corner from the Empire State.

It was very quiet, and like a rabbit warren with tightly packed shelves of games. In terms of 'friendly' suppose it is a tricky thing ... does the store immediately pounce on you and ask if they can help, or do they let you browse in peace and quiet?

On my visit there was a deadly silence (apart from a few gaming noises in a back room). My ideal would have been a friendly hello when I came in, and a suggestion that I give them a shout if there was anything I wanted help with, and also a little bit of friendliness when I paid for my game at the till and left .... but there was none of that so yes I agree a little unfriendly. Is this typical of NY? Did not seem so going by other shops, bars and restaurants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also look for large bookstores, like Borders and Barnes & Noble. I remember a big one on the upper west side, near Lincoln Center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Games Workshop store is pretty friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
You might also look for large bookstores, like Borders and Barnes & Noble. I remember a big one on the upper west side, near Lincoln Center.
What variety of games do the big chains have in the US? In the UK they don't go beyond Monopoly/Cludeo/Scrabble/Risk/hungry Hippos etc. I'm hoping to buy one of the more modern designer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:

It was very quiet, and like a rabbit warren with tightly packed shelves of games. In terms of 'friendly' suppose it is a tricky thing ... does the store immediately pounce on you and ask if they can help, or do they let you browse in peace and quiet?

On my visit there was a deadly silence (apart from a few gaming noises in a back room). My ideal would have been a friendly hello when I came in, and a suggestion that I give them a shout if there was anything I wanted help with, and also a little bit of friendliness when I paid for my game at the till and left .... but there was none of that so yes I agree a little unfriendly. Is this typical of NY? Did not seem so going by other shops, bars and restaurants.
This is sounding like the only candidate so far, despite the poor customer service. the location near the Empire State Building is looking great as we plan to go there and take our daughter to the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:

the b&n at 86th and lex has a larger selection of games than the typical b&n location, including many euros (dominion, power grid, and some others). all are priced at msrp or above, so i think you're better off going to compleat strategist where you'll pay the same price but have a much larger selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle G wrote:
indigopotter wrote:
What variety of games do the big chains have in the US? In the UK they don't go beyond Monopoly/Cludeo/Scrabble/Risk/hungry Hippos etc. I'm hoping to buy one of the more modern designer games.

Our Barnes & Noble has things like Carcassonne, Carc: New World, Blokus, Ringgz, Munchkin - better than your average Walmart, but not what a full game store would have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:
In manhattan there is the Compleat Strategist on 33rd between 5th and Madison is just about the only choice for board games that I'm aware of in manahattan. However I wouldn't call it friendly. There is also a small store in bryant park outdoor mall 44th and 6th avenue I believe? But I don't know how long they are going to be open for.

Yeah, CS is the best thing you can find in Manhattan. There are a couple of comic shops that deal in some gaming, but this is the only pure board game shop you'll find. It's a nice shop, but not very roomy. It's well worth a stop-in whenever you're in town!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:

I agree that the Compleat Strategist folks don't exactly go out of their way to talk to you, but they're not unfriendly either. The few times I've had questions, they've been more than happy to help. And they seem to be on good terms with their regulars, judging by the conversations I witnessed.

Their selection is superb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Springer
United States
Revere
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think anyone was friendly in New York. At least, not according to Martin Scorsese. He wouldn't lie to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
Their selection is superb.
This is the main criteria for me. At the moment I'm probably going to get Dominion, although this will probably change in the next few months, but I'd love to spend some time browsing the shelves of a proper board gaming shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Compleat Strategist is a great selection for FLGS -- especially if you have an idea what you want to buy.

There are some . . . gruff folks working there, certainly, but the funny thing is, if you ask them a question, or ask for help, they will quite happily do what they can to help you out. The attitude at the store, in the main, seems to be, "nobody really comes in here accidentally, so let's leave them to their own devices."

An additional and sub-par, in my opinion, option is The Forbidden Planet store down around 14th Street (I forget the exact location, but it's on their website). They have a (not great) game selection upstairs. The store itself, though, is quite nice and filled with nerdy goodness.

Outside of NYC, there are a couple options. King's Games down in Brooklyn is alright but not great (they have a dusty selection in the back). There are a few game stores in New Jersey -- not that far out of the way if one is exploring) and The Dragon's Den is up in Poughkeepsie -- again, only of value if one is exploring or heading up that way anyway)

But yeah, it's basically the Strategist. Worth the trip, certainly, even if you just want to wander the stacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Τhe cave you fear holds the treasure you seek.
badge
My lucky number is four billion. That doesn't come in real handy when you're gambling. "Come on, four billion! Darn! Seven. Not even close. I need more dice." Mitch Hedberg
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet if they weren't the only boardgame store in NY, they would be a lot friendlier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The strategist is definitely your best bet selectionwise, and I buy almost all my RPG reading material there. I once tried to get them interested in hosting a meet-up after Nutral Ground closed down but they didn't really seem receptive to the idea. But as others have said they do seem helpful when asked for help, and happily ignore those who don't. Also the location is quite convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, The Forbidden Planet is first and foremost a comic book store, followed by memorabilia, with a smattering of game tie-ins.

Was just at the Strat. while visiting family in NY over the holidays. Huge selection, questionable prices (it is NYC after all). It was their last open Sunday of the season, so keep that in mind when planning a trip. Browsing the store is like browsing the stacks of a library, lots games, many older than my entry into the hobby (mid ‘70s) all the way up to the latest titles, however, just like a library, you’re pretty much on your own unless you ask. Frankly, with so many titles on the shelves I find it impossible to make an in-store buying decision, I’d much rather do my pre-purchase research here and go in knowing what I want (not that I still wouldn’t look around for 2 or 3 hours).

If you happen to be traveling out to Long Island, Men at Arms hobbies in Middle Island is the store I grew up with (about 1.5 hours out of NYC). Not nearly the selection of the Strat. but he has all the latest games, many old ones, plenty of miniatures, RPG’s, CCG’s, in-store gaming, and much better prices (friendlier too, Jim’s been running the store for about 35 years and while he claims not to play at all, he can talk your ear off about the details of every game in his store). I purchased Arkham Horror on this visit and was glad to throw him the business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damen Parker
Oman
Northampton
Muscat
flag msg tools
Trust me. You know it makes sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Uncle G.

I went to the Compleat Strategist in Nov 2007. The dollar was weak to the pound then (almost 2:1) despite this I found it very expensive. I was also the only customer in there at the time and felt watched to the point of feelin being accused of something. I didn't feel comfortable browsing. I left with just a Tannhauser figure.

You know me and propensity to buy pretty much anything on a whim and hang the costs. Says a lot really. All in all I was very disappointed. That said it was a bonus to find the store as I was not looking for games and was under strict instructions not to seek one out. Don't think 'she' believes my innocence to this day.

See you Thursday

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls