Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I love Pandemic my 6yr old and 9yr old are very "meh" due to the theme, and have yet to play it with me. Rather than push it I've decided to use this as an opportunity to retheme the game with a theme dear to their hearts: Doctor Who (specifically Tennant-era Who).

Invasion Earth:
The Master has been defeated, only to unleash the deadliest menace of all: from across time and space the Doctor's deadliest foes are returning through the Master's Timegates, threatening to tear apart the very fabric of reality itself! Can the Doctor and his companions unlock the riddle of the Master's doomsday machines and save the earth from certain destruction?

Role cards: These are mapped directly from the standard role cards.
- Researcher: Sarah Jane Smith (she is an investigative reporter after all)
- Scientist: K-9 (decrypting codes with his computer brain)
- Ops Expert: The Doctor (the OtB variant, his movement power is called “Tardis”)
- Despatcher: Martha Jones (with her teleport harness)
- Medic: Captain Jack Harkness (kicking enemy butt)

Diseases are enemies, flooding through Timegates.
- Yellow: Daleks
- Blue: Sontarans
- Black: Cybermen
- Red: Sycorax (OK, not on a par with the other 3, but they fit colour-wise, and are a suitably "invading army" type of alien)

Research Stations are Temporal Inhibitors, designed to take down the Timegates. However the Timegates are protected by Encryption Codes. In order to shut down a Timegate the heroes must prime the Temporal Inhibitors with the correct Decryption keys.

Cures are Unlocked Encryption Codes.

Infection is Invasion (ie the Invasion rate track)

Oubreaks are Time Fractures: when too many enemies materialise in one location spacetime is fractured, spilling more enemies from the schism and bringing total temporal collapse ever closer.

Special Events could include various gadgets (sonic screwdriver, Tardis key, psychic paper, Project Indigo, etc. This bit still needs some work.

The board’s looking nice, but given how protective the Beeb are over Who copyright I don’t think I’ll be posting any files on BGG. This is still a work in progress, so if anyone has any suggestions for custom cards, additional roles (Rose, Donna, Mickey etc) or any feedback on what I’ve come up with so far I’d be grateful.
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4343062#4343062
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(funnier in person)
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a Dr. Who fan myself (Yet, I've still got time) but it looks like you have some really great theme integration going on here.

I especially like how we have gone from generic diseases of different colors to named invading forces, of course, theme with mechanical integration is even better, so if you could find a way to go beyond the out-of-the-box Pandemic rules and make each Invading force act a little differently, all the better.

I also always prefer named characters with histories to generic characters, and it seems like you've got a good fit so far. With all the home made characters you can probably bring in minor characters as well.

My main advice though, above all, is to find ways to mechanically integrate this theme, make the mechanics support the theme, and vice versa, it doesn't take much, just keep an eye out for things that don't make sense thematically, and see if there isn't a way to tweak or alter them.

byronczimmer wrote:

It is somewhat similar, and they are both similar to a game called Pandemic, is there a point in here?

By the way, I liked your initial ideas about a Cthulhu theme, and would love to see them developed further, if you get a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a nice variant. If it makes you feel safer, another user posted a Doctor Who versions of Race for the Galaxy a while ago, and doesn't seem to have gotten into any trouble. Not sure if the BBC hasn't noticed, or doesn't care, but I bet Doctor Who fans would enjoy seeing your variant as well.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/384458/paradox-doctor-who-de...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments folks. YearoftheCat, I agree entirely, individualising the armies is certainly on the to do list. This card of the Warp's might help me come up with mechanic ideas.

Given there are already Who themed pics on the Geek I guess I'll take the plunge, Please note this game board is for my familiy's use only, not for redistribution. If anyone wants me to remove the image please let me know and I'll do so at once.

I tried to unclutter things a bit, so many cities are way off where they should be. I can live with that

The cards are still in progress, I may post some samples when they're done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the cards take a lot longer than I'd expected! Finished the role cards:

I have a bunch of Special Event cards and enemy cards worked out, just need to make the time to create the cards.

BTW: bother! just spotted an error on 3 of the cards. Tweaking still to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carlwhite wrote:
Wow, the cards take a lot longer than I'd expected! Finished the role cards:

I have a bunch of Special Event cards and enemy cards worked out, just need to make the time to create the cards.

BTW: bother! just spotted an error on 3 of the cards. Tweaking still to do!

Ten's card's text is running off the edge. So, where did Mikey's power come from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, spotted the Doctor's dodgy card text. Thanks!

Mickey's powers are cobbled together from other fan-made cards. I'm shamelessly ripping off anything I can find, many thanks to those who came up with the ideas. I figured these ones sort of fit for Mickey:

OMG I'm the tin dog; Mickey's a bit of a support character, an enabler for the others to do their thing

Password Buffalo: When the Slitheen take over 10 Downing St in "World War 3" Mickey hacks UNIT and the Royal Navy, sending in a missile strike. This power is supposed to reflect that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carlwhite wrote:
OMG I'm the tin dog;

Heh, I loved that line. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next up are the event cards, both good ones for players...

and nasty ones for enemies.

YearoftheCat suggested creating mechanics to make the theme work better, so I've got lots of Dalek cards to make them tougher, a couple of Cyberman vards, and 1 Sontaran card. There's also a Sycorax card that makes them weaker.

I'll need to playest to work out how best to seed the cards, but I reckon 2 Events per player, and 1 Enemy Event per player should be about right for a normal difficulty. Adding or removing cards gives a finer tune than just the Epidemic (Enemy Breakthrough) cards.

Most of these cards are rethemes of Base and Brink cards, several others are rethemes of The Warp's fine work.Thanks where it's due!

Still to come; Enemy Breakthrough cards, Reference cards, the Master (Bioterrorist) and a bunch of Master Event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyberman Leader without Torchwood Institute would be bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nearly done now.

I've fixed the 10th Doctor, added the 9th and 11th, and the Master in the Bioterrorist role. The purple cubes are the Toclafane (about 1 billion per cube ). I've added a purple icon to the game board.

A couple more event cards, (reworked the Cyberleader) both good and bad:

and a bunch of nasty tricks for the Master to get up to:

Just the Brekthrough and reference cards left, then I'll set to uploading the cards onto Artscow and BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Tutterrow
United States
Clackamas
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing job. Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered my cards from ArtsCow. If you want a set you can get them here:

http://www.artscow.com/share/tedqoexj4fu8

I've added the map (A2 size) and the tokens to the Files section. It may take a while for them to get approval though.

You'll need a 25mm circular punch for the tokens, or steady scissor hands. I plan to buy a bunch of thick black circular wooden tokens from www.spielmaterial.de.

Everything else you need comes with Pandemic and On the Brink.

If you decide to make your own copy please upload some photos when you're done, and let me know how you find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
carlwhite wrote:
I've ordered my cards from ArtsCow. If you want a set you can get them here:

http://www.artscow.com/share/tedqoexj4fu8
You have to resubmit them including ticking the 'Allow Add To Cart' option - right now, they look really pretty, but I can't buy them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, sorry, how about now?

http://www.artscow.com/share/nb6z1onbf378
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgeous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine from ArtsCow. Hadn't realised how dark the Role card backs are - at first I thought something had gone wrong and they were just black, but there is a distinct & subtle image there. Overall, these look very nice.

Now I have to knock the hell out of my printer ink and print the map... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got mine too, very happy with them. My first order from Artscow, but definitely not my last.Already 75% done on a Battleline/ Lost Cities retheme...

Here's a couple of shots of our first game, hopefully the first of many

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Although you clearly should have a TARDIS back for the city cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Tellier
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love your variant idea!! I was thinking of a rule variant for your board.

War Zones: War Zones is where a city has 2 or more invader cube of different colors. Caused by Time Fractures at the boarder of two different invader regions. For example a War Zone can start in Cairo where a Time Fracture happen in Khartoum making a Battle between the Daleks and the Cybermen in Cairo.

When a War Zone begins in a city, Temporal Inhibitors occupying in the city is removed from the board. Any player entering or exiting a War Zone cost 2 actions instead of 1. Discarding cards for the purpose of movement cannot be used unless its the Transmat Beam Special Event card. And removing invader cubes from a War Zone can only be done if that city currently has two players in it (This rule is ignored if the player in that city is The Doctor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Walsh
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just ordered a set from Artscow - $9.99 including shipping, thanks to a promo code. Not a bad deal at all! Will you be posting your ruleset soon?

--Bifforama
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bifforama,

Hadn't planned to release a ruleset, it uses the same rules as standard Pandemic. So it's really more of a retheme than a variant.

That said, the War Zone rule suggested above is great, I might start using that Certainly plays to the flavour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Walsh
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Got my cards the other day and they look great. Here's my first attempt at the board and counters. Unfortunately I didn't use enough glue on the centreline and had to resort to tape when it peeled. I don't think it'll affect gameplay, though. The big test will be on Friday night.

--Bifforama
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My cards just arrived in the post too. Haven't had a chance to see how they compare to the game's orginal cards. Worst case I figure I can use sleeves of some sort.

How did you print and mount your board? I just realized maybe I could mount the IE variant on the back side of the Pandemic board itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.