BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Where to buy in New York city rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dar dar
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,
i'm in New York ciity and i would like to visit some boardgame store someone could help me telling me where are the best shops in new york?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of info in here:

http://geekdo.com/thread/294366/flgs-of-the-usa-a-list-of-ga...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of those threads are outdated. Currently, the main stop you'll want to make is the Compleat Strategist. It's on 34th St. between 5th ave and Madison Ave. (Basically, it's half a block from the Empire State Building.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabricio Bandeira
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the only one I know of:

The Complete Strategist
http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/

11 East 33rd Street (between Madison and Fifth Avenue)
New York, NY 10016
212-685-3880
Hours: Monday-Wednesday - 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday-Saturday - 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Thursday - 10:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Sunday - Closed

Prices are higher than online stores, but I have a lot of fun buying games "live". And the store is crammed with all kind of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabricio Bandeira
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik was faster. I second him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiko wrote:
Erik was faster. I second him.

He was faster, but he gave the wrong address! 33rd St. is correct. It's on the north side of the street, about halfway between Madison and 5th (maybe a little closer to 5th).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Santana
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather place an order through an online retailer and pay double the shipping, than deal with the guys down at Compleat Strategist...

Just my 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbas wrote:
I'd rather place an order through an online retailer and pay double the shipping, than deal with the guys down at Compleat Strategist...

Just my 2

They are not nearly that bad at all. A little standoffish, perhaps, but whenever I talk to them, they're friendly and helpful and even (dare I say it) knowledgeable.

Now, the first couple times I went there, sure, I felt like I was browsing someone's personal collection, but honestly, the guys there are alright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lopes
Brazil
flag msg tools
I found accidentally a very nice cafe to buy and play board games, called The Uncommons, right by NYU, in Soho (http://www.uncommonsnyc.com).
For chess lovers, right across the street there's a cool store for stylish pieces and sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gilman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
My 11 year old and I really like Hex & Co. at 112th and Broadway. Great selection of games with plenty of staff always there to expertly guide us to our next game choice. You can go in there and mention a game theme or two and a mechanic that you like along with some other features like the amount of luck involved or games with fewer pieces or certain kinds of board etc. and they lead you right to some great choices. Plus there's coffee, pastries, lunch, and a nice selection of microbrews. We could buy games online for a bit less usually but Hex & Co. is an amazing game store and cafe run by true game enthusiasts/experts and that's why I buy our games there.
Stephen & Ben

Hex & Co.
http://hexnyc.com/
212-439-1008
2871 Broadway, New York, NY 10025

OPENING HOURS
MONDAY
8:00AM - 11PM
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY
8:00AM - Midnight
SATURDAY
9:00AM - Midnight
SUNDAY
9:00AM - 11:00PM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico De Muyt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm from Belgium and I was in New York last week. I went to 'The Complete Strategist' store, which is only 1 block away form the 'Empire State Building' so it was easy to jump in after visiting one of the 'main attractions' of the big apple. The shop isn't very fancy but it's packed with games, games and games + game components. Actually I made a kind of list at home to look for some small(travelling by plane and not able to buy carry 3 Gloomhaven boxes). The first one (Tiny Epic Galaxies) I couldn't find, so I had to ask the friendly staff and they said they hadn't any of the 'tiny' series games in their portfolio. Finally I decided to buy 'Elder Sign' which was including the city taxes probably the same as on Amazon. Final conclusion… we live in times where almost any game can be ordered via the web, so don't blame the store if they haven't got the 'one game you're looking for'... So if you love games, visit NY, jump in would I say !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls