Popular Tags: Chicagoland [+] Chitown [+] [View All]
Ernie Darby
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys I will be in Chicago this weekend and wondered if there were any good gaming stores to hit up. Also going with a friend who would be interested in finding some good CCG/TCG stores (Pokémon). Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one I went to while in Chicago:

Cat & Mouse Game Store
2212 W. Armitage Ave.
Chicago, IL 60647
(773)-384-4454
http://www.cat-n-mouse.com
Hours:
Mon. closed
Tues 10am - 10pm
Wed 10am-8pm
Thur 10am-8pm
Fri 10am - 10pm
Sat 10am - 8pm
Sun 11am-5pm

By Vehicle:
If you're headed here from parts far and wide, we're quite close to the Kennedy (I-90/94). Exit at Armitage Ave. and head west for less than a mile until you find us just after Leavitt. If you're coming toward the city on the Eisenhower (I-290) and would like to avoid the interchange, exit at Western Ave. and head north for about 3 miles until you get to Armitage. Turn right on Armitage and you'll find us 2 blocks ahead on the north side of the street.

PARKING is pretty easy around the store, both on Armitage and on the side streets, which mercifully do not have protected parking.

Not much to see from the outside, but the store had a large supply of games. They routinely have weekly game nights, so have most of the the popular games open, so you can inspect the bits and lay out the board prior to purchasing. The staff was helpful and well-informed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Trevino
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dice Dojo
The Dice Dojo is another great store in Chicago. It is located

5550 N. Broadway St.
Chicago IL 60640
(773)728.3656

Their hours are:
Mon-Sat: 10-9
Sun: 10-6

But their motto is that they don't close until the last game is over. I've been over there for some late night gaming many a time. The staff is very nice and knowledgeable and they support my school's Games Club as well! Good selection, great staff, good prices, ample game library where you can sit and try out almost every game they have for sale in the store... you really can't go wrong with this store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for or against the two above, but if you can make your way out to the suburbs, Games Plus in Mt. Prospect is *the* store to go to...

www.games-plus.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's a specific area you'll be in, (suburbs), we could nail down the closest option. As mentioned Cat and Mouse games is a good store. CCG/TCG are easier as you can find these at some non-game stores like Graham Crackers Comics store which are in many locations. In the burbs there are more options, Like Gamers World in Schaumburg and Games Plus in Mt. Prospect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Plus, hands down the best game store in Chicago, actually in Mount Prospect which is not too far north west of O'Hare Airport. Has all current games in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Games Plus. Take the Metra Northwest Line from Ogilvie Station (On Madison and Canal) to the Mt. Prospect station. Trip is about 45 min., and it's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Meyers
United States
Lisle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also vouch for both Cat & Mouse and Games Plus, but I'll add that the best place to find CCG tournaments is at Pastimes in Niles. Man, I wish I could make the WorldWake pre-release this weekend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Darby
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the tips. Made it back today and had a blast at Cat N Mouse. Wish there was a store like that close to my house. Picked up Dungeon Lords and Tribune.

Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Miller
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
I can't speak for or against the two above, but if you can make your way out to the suburbs, Games Plus in Mt. Prospect is *the* store to go to...

www.games-plus.com

This. All of this.

Games Plus is easily the best Chicago has to offer. I actually make the two hour drive from my home in Indiana to visit at least twice a month. Hopefully, that speaks volumes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thor's Hammer
msg tools
mb
I have bought games from Games Plus since the early 1980s. Strangely enough, for the last 14 years, I have visited Schaumberg, IL for business, and it never occurred to me to visit their store!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique DeJesus
msg tools
For board games you cannot beat the Chicagoland Games:Dice Dojo. They have fully half the store dedicated to gaming space and have 300 some games in their lending library for people to use for free. On Wednesday nights they have 20-30 in there playing boardgames and they are actually in the city.

5550 N. Broadway St.
Chicago IL 60640
(773)728.3656

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeFranco
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Games Plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicagoland Games: Dice Dojo is my FLGS. I emphasize friendly because of the aforementioned policy of staying open until their customers' gaming thirsts have been quaffed. Their library of games for open play is doubled by regulars leaving their copies of popular games in the store. And particularly, the staff are more enthusiastic in helping you find the game you are trying to play/buy.

They have theme nights too:
Mon: D&D Encounters then RPGA, store regularly packed
Tue: other RPGs,CCGs (non-Magic)
Wed: General board gaming, MOST POPULAR NIGHT!
Thu: Warhammer, usually fills store because its Warhammer.
Fri: Magic, yeah people still play this
Sat & Sun: No set theme. Tournements, special releases, birthday parties.

Come check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:

Fri: Magic, yeah people still play this

Seriously, people on this site need to pay attention. Magic is at its most successful era EVER. So while some of you guys are still grumbling about the game you were playing 10 years ago... the rest of us have moved on.

Sorry to derail, but it's amazing to me that anyone is shocked that this game is successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls