Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Boone
United States
Harrison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do my best to keep this short.

This is a solitaire game where you play the US and the game system plays the Germans. The landing zone is divided between the East Sector (1st ID) and West Sector (29th ID). By dividing up the two sectors, you can make this a two-player game, but it's still the players versus the game. Each turn encompasses 15 minutes of real-time for the basic game, and stretches to 30 minutes in the expanded game. Both systems are included in the same box.

The German forces are in fixed placements whose strengths are hidden until attacked. US forces are broken down into Company-sized markers. By hiding the strength of the defenders, the gaming system does a very good job of simulating missing intelligence for an invading force against a fixed position. The random nature and fog of war is simulated by using a deck of cards that perform multiple functions in order to determine such actions as beach landing results, combat results and random event occurrences.

The historical element was very well researched. The US units are those that participated in the battle with an Order of Battle that is supported by historical documentation. The German units, although mostly generic in substance, are in the positions that were available to throw the invasion back into the sea. You could overlay battle maps from the time-period and see the resemblance. There are also "what if" scenarios available if you wish to game-play alternative histories.

I'm usually into relatively light gaming and I found the rules a bit daunting. Even though I find myself referring to the rules frequently, it's usually just to confirm what I already knew to be true. The rules are that intuitive. In my meticulous and agonizing "Analysis Paralysis" I am able to complete the most basic game (utilizing only the 1st ID) in a couple of hours, or less. As you scale up the complexity, the time element grows rather linearly. I have to admit, part of my AP is because I grow attached to my units. I have genuine concern for a unit thrown into the crucible of well-sighted crossfire. Historically, these were/are real men. I can't shake that and for me, this game simulates that fact all too well.

Winning is determined by taking the game to the end, 1000 hrs in the basic version, and totaling victory points. Losing can happen much earlier. If you haphazardly send your men to "take the bluff" or have a series of cards drawn against you, you can find that your landing force has suffered so many losses that the beach has been declared "Closed". You may also be so cautious with your men that you aren't able to open the draws (exits from the beach) for further landings. This result would also be determined at the end game. To my surprise, I find the game system extremely balanced in this respect. Sometimes the game goes to the end and I lose on VP's, sometimes I win, sometimes my losses are too heavy and the game ends early. This is an impressive accomplishment for a solitaire game. I couldn't imagine playing a human opponent with such balanced results unless our abilities/strategies/luck were truly that well matched.

If you haven't noticed, I love this game. If you've got the space, basically the size of an office desk, you can play a turn or two and leave to come back to it later if you haven't got the time to finish all at once. The limitations on US actions require very deliberate planning and strategy to succeed. As progress is made in the landing area, more defenders are revealed to increase the pressure on the invaders. The tension is palpable.

Next time, I'm planning to limit myself to try and make "real-time" maneuver decisions to avoid AP and increase the "stress" of command pressure. Maybe I should consult my doctor first.

Have fun,
Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Heath
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I have the game set up right near my computer. I'm looking at it while I type thislaugh. A great game that you can pay for a few turns if you wish or sit down for a hopefully long session, depending on your lossescry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
SteveB wrote:
Each turn encompasses 15 minutes of real-time for the basic game, and stretches to 30 minutes in the expanded game.

Winning is determined by taking the game to the end, 1000 hrs in the basic version, ...

Whoa, seriously? The basic game lasts 4000 turns? Is there an extra 0 or two by mistake? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems hours means hours of the day in military writing.

Time scale is 15 minutes per turn from 0600 hours to 1000 hours, shifting to 1/2 hour turns from 1000 to 1800 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Aha, "1000 hours" meaning "10 o'clock" makes much more sense indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the "What's the draw" title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
mwindsor wrote:

I don't know if it was meant to be a pun but my first thought is it was terrain rules question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Aha, "1000 hours" meaning "10 o'clock" makes much more sense indeed!

Being used to military times being written as "1000h" or spoken as "ten-hundred hours", I too thought (initially) that the original poster was talking about 1000 hours (2000 turns)? I was about ten seconds into the thought process of figuring out where US forces were 1000 hours after the landings (42 days later) when I realized he was doing the military time thing.

Long story short, you're not alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gbaker59 wrote:
mwindsor wrote:

I don't know if it was meant to be a pun but my first thought is it was terrain rules question.

Because of the bluffs that front the beach, much of the early game involves trying to secure the few draws that run down to the beach, and move your heavier equipment up the draws to get it engaged. I assumed that the title was a really clever play on words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Boone
United States
Harrison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About the title:

Yes, I was trying to be "pun"ny. Use a double-entendre. Evoke curiosity. I saw no danger, so I took the shot. Thanks for getting the joke.

Also, In my effort to be brief, I left out the all too critical "starting at 0615h and lasting until 1000h." Oops. Thank you for the review of my review and I'll work to do better next time. (I used the "hrs" abbrev. to attempt to be more universal to those less familiar with military time. Apparently, created more problems than I solved. Sorry.)

I don't post many reviews (is this my third after 5 years?) But, I hope to get better at them with each new submission.

Thanks again,
Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.