Peter Rovaniemi
msg tools
Hi all.
Recently moved to Brussels and now it is time to get a new boardgame.

My problem is that in the city itself i have located no stores that sells boardgames (well have a good selection) that are in English translation.

If anyone have another solution of where to order from abroad - i would like to hear it. Shipping costs is a big thing as boardgames can be heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar problem living in The Netherlands. I find here that it's about a 50/50 split between games in Dutch and games in English. Of course the games I'm actually after usually end up being the Dutch versions that are in stock.

Good luck on your search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Simon
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mb
How about amazon.co.uk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Conley
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are able to order from Amazon.com. The shipping takes almost a month. I'm in the states and recently ordered some blurays from Amazon.co.uk and that worked out well. Your order won't apply for free shipping and if you have amazon prime, you'll still have to pay shipping. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kris vansant
Belgium
Geel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this shop in Mechelen, at only 30 minutes from Brussels.

http://www.spelfanaat.be/producten.php?catid=192

It's not cheap, but they have a lot of games in the shop.
I'm sure they have English games also.

Greetz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roderick Van den Heuvel
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can highly recommend the outpost in Brussels. In fact, just yesterday I was there and had a similar question. laugh

I played the game Stone Age in dutch once in Antwerp, and I like the game a lot, but would like to find it in English. At the outpost they confirmed me that their games are in English and that it's the preferred language for all of their games.

The only downside is that they don't have a large stock, but their shop in antwerp does, so if they have it in Antwerp they just send it over to brussels for you to pick it up. cool

Take a look at http://www.outpost.be/ or http://www.outpost.be/shop/

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Sancy
Belgium
Zaventem
B
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Are you sure l'Antre-jeux (http://www.antre-jeux.be/ - avenue de la Couronne, 357, 1050 Brussels) doesn't have any ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shardeen Mehdi
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
also there is -30% for american game boards in a shop in brussels.. cant quite remember the name of the shop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some publishers, namely Queen Games, include rules in several languages. If you can't find a store that carries English games, maybe you could find publishers that put all languages in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I lived in Germany I ordered many english language games from www.milan-spiele.de. Click on "Englische Spiele" in the left-hand column to see all the games they have in english.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexei Gartinski
Jordan
Amman
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
L'Antre-Jeux (www.antre-jeux.be) mentioned above has a very good selection of the most recent boardgames in English. Every time I am in Brussels I tedn to come with an empty suitcase, which - after a brief visit there - is ususally quite full (with my wallet quite empty)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Squires
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Peter,
As mentioned with Queen many European publishers do publish in multilingual rules. Also, a lot of English rules are on line in BGG especially considering that some of the German games were published solely or first in Germany. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rovaniemi
msg tools
Thanks for the advice.

I checked a bit with www.antre-jeux.be and they do seem a bit expensive, still might pay them a visit.

Payed a short visit to Outpost but will have to go back there witha bit more time, was not so "browser" friendly as most their games are on shelfs behind the counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rovaniemi
msg tools
Well starting to think that geting games for ok prices here is impossible. Most german retailers have high sipping but great prices. We tried to get Age of Conan for under 60€ (quit possible in many other places in the world grrrr) but no luck. Guess we haveto settle for another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Angove
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in Brussels last week and went to L'Antre-Jeux . Very good selection of both euros and wargames and great for browsing but very pricey when compared to the prices in the UK. The current £ to Euro exchange rate is a killer. The helpful owner mentioned that the new stock coming in might reflect the strength of the euro so maybe prices will start to drop a bit? A lot of the games seemed to have English rules but you would need to check in store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sammelin
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hej, Peter!

kolla här: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/152658/game-shops-in-bru...

Kul att du finns här på BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izi Mizrahi
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
bite my shiny metal a**!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All,
I was recently in Brussels looking for Boardgames in English.
Here's my 2cents...
The Grasshopper is more of a toy store that happens to sell games. They don't have too much of a collection besides kids games, and popular stuff like Ticket to Ride, Dominion and 7 Wonders. Most of the games are in french. Unless the game is multilingual they only had the french version.

Outpost had a an ok collection but the games were also mostly in French.
It is a nice gaming cafe that sells some games on the side. Or so it seems.

L'Antre Jeux had the pretty good collection, much bigger that Outpost and Grasshopper even though the store is the smallest of the three. It is good sized game shop. They have some games in English, many multilingual games. As some others stated in BGG it is a bit pricey. The owner told me that the publishers upcharged for English games to force the shops to carry games in French in Belgium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Next thursday, may 17th, Spelfanaat in Leuven organizes "Epic Gameday" from 11am to 10pm.
They have lots of games in demo and most people bring their own games so there'll be plenty choice.
feel free to hop in.
cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dries _
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon.de usually has a good selection too (be careful to select the english, not the german editions), is priced well, and their price/time for delivery to belgium is quite decent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spelshop.be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
Uk Webstores BoardGame Guru and I think Gameslore have just capped euro shipping prices at £10. See this thread.Boardgameguru: shipping costs now capped at GBP 10 to certain European destinations: Thank you Paul!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spellenhuis Spellenwinkel
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noordholland
flag msg tools
www.spellenhuis.nl

Big selection of games. Orders above €80,- no shipping costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls