Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Lohse
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having written up a NGP review, I thought I would write up a review of the second game using the same system from the Central Front series of games, one that I could never get quite as in to as its companion.

As with NGP, as one of the later 2 [of 5] games in the series, DF dropped the friction point system which was the big feature in the earlier games in the series. As with NGP, losing this removes a bit of novelty in exchange for simpler rules and not having to deal with the annoying friction point marker for every single unit on the map [seriously... every single one of them]. I find the newer FP-less system a bit easier to use and really like the addition of rules based on which direction the unit is facing. Basically... how you orient the counter determines where its front, flanks, and rear are. I like the fact that it makes you think not just about where the unit is but also which way it needs to be facing to do what you want it to do. It also means that just putting one unit in a critical area might not be enough to block off every avenue of approach you want it to. And it doesn't require a second set of counters.

This game focuses on the southern end of the Central Front in a hypothetical WWIII. As such it has the West Germans, the French, and the Canadians versus the Soviets and the Czechs. This makes for a fairly wide range of units [like French rapid deployment forces] but for some reason I never found it as satisfying as the selection in NGP.

I think the best aspect of this game, as with NGP, is the number of different victory objectives. Basically, the WP player has four distinct objective sets [flank the neighboring map which alas uses the older system, inflict as many losses on the NATO forces as possible, isolate Munich, and drive as far to the west as possible], with victory levels based on how quickly the objectives are achieved. This does create some choices for the Pact player, but it never felt like as much as a conflicting set of objectives as in NGP. I do like the constraints the NATO force loss objective creates for the NATO player... you can't recklessly spend your units to stop the Pact without hurting yourself in regards to that victory condition. Overall, I think the objective/victory system was one of the big features that endeared DF and NGP to me.

Still, for some reason I can just can't explain I enjoy NGP a bit more than DF. Heck, maybe it is because NGP mimics one of the standard attack plans used in the old VG:NATO game [attack in the north and also up the Jutland Peninsula]. Despite being second best, DF is still a lot of fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lohse
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A big thanks to everyone who gave me tips for this review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
aluredpopple wrote:
Having written up a NGP review, I thought I would write up a review of the second game using the same system from the Central Front series of games, one that I could never get quite as in to as its companion.
And for the people wondering: the NGP review is here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Re: A Donau Front Review - magazine cover
Just a point of trivia - an S&T reader has pointed out that the cover of the magazine is probably photographed somewhere in Africa - note the bush hats of the soldiers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Dickerson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you're not the only one who looks sidelong at that cover. It's one of the ugliest ever, and doesn't recall anything *I* remember about Bavaria, certainly.

Anyway, thanks to the author for the review. I'm looking forward to "retrofitting" this to use the Friction Point system. Since the 9 Soviet divisions and the West German forces are clearly defined, it should be fairly easy to make equivalent counters from the source material in the other Central Front games. I just hope they also have the same equivalent formations for the French and Canadians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lloyd
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
World Champs!!....again
badge
Forgot me velcro gloves again...
mbmbmbmbmb
Stiglr wrote:
Yeah, you're not the only one who looks sidelong at that cover. It's one of the ugliest ever, and doesn't recall anything *I* remember about Bavaria, certainly.

Anyway, thanks to the author for the review. I'm looking forward to "retrofitting" this to use the Friction Point system. Since the 9 Soviet divisions and the West German forces are clearly defined, it should be fairly easy to make equivalent counters from the source material in the other Central Front games. I just hope they also have the same equivalent formations for the French and Canadians.

Allen, are you aware that it's already been done? You might want to check out the Central Front folder at CSW:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6d04b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.