Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made some silly or parody type LNOE characters before (e.g. Scooby Doo), but I thought I should try to make some "serious" ones. Here's what I came up with. I'll have to try 'em out when I'm back home in a couple weeks... Pics grabbed from random Google image searches and subject to change.

(Updated characters are further down in the thread, as well as a 5th character; Donna.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 4 new custom Heroes
Gwen is a great idea! An adult with the "Student" key word. I love the CAREFUL ability. Not so crazy about OCCULT STUDIES -- I like the idea but as for the mechanic, I'd never take a wound just to maybe negatively affect the zombie player. Consider changing that to where she can take a wound to look at the zombie player's hand and discard a card -- now that might be something.

I like Derrick and ADRENALINE a lot too, you might just copy Jade's wording on SUCKER PUNCH.

Suren, well, I think FLEXIBLE is a huge ability, better than Billy's. With Survival Decks in play, this might be too strong. At the very least, I don't think he would need a 2nd ability, certainly not CORPSE POSE. I'm not crazy about the name "Corpse Pose" btw, it sounds like an ability that would fool zombies into thinking he's dead, not a healing ability.

Lillian to me is more funny than anything. I think the movement part of LEADERSHIP is unnecessary, the fight die thing is enough. FILIBUSTER is hilariou.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are really neat.

For Gwen, I'd keep her consistent with all other students. Meaning, only 2 wounds and adding the YOUTHFUL ability.

Yes, this means if she's undisturbed she can fire off OCCULT STUDIES every other turn, but it feels like that ability needs a boost as-is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BakaMattSu wrote:
These are really neat.

For Gwen, I'd keep her consistent with all other students. Meaning, only 2 wounds and adding the YOUTHFUL ability.

I disagree. I see no reason to limit the keyword Student to the Youthful ability... there are, after all, adult and middle aged college students. Perhaps the picture might better reflect someone in their mid to late 20's, as opposed to early 20's, but still, there's an implied difference between her age and the other high school aged students.

Some good suggestions, Roman, but I'll have to comment more on those later...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
I disagree. I see no reason to limit the keyword Student to the Youthful ability... there are, after all, adult and middle aged college students.
You could just change her subtitle to Mature Student.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
I see no reason to limit the keyword Student to the Youthful ability... there are, after all, adult and middle aged college students.

Granted, I was just speaking from the level of consistency we've had in the game thus far. Some of the event interactions involving the keyword clearly use it as if it read "High School Student", such as when the gym teacher, principal, or shop teacher enter the mix.

I'm not claiming the small town of Woodinvale couldn't have a college, or that Gwen might have just been home on break or passing through. I'm just looking at any odd questions that could arise from possible interactions.

And I was thinking about how well the Youthful and Occult abilities would work in tandem.

"Mature Student" alleviates my concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BakaMattSu wrote:
Grudunza wrote:
I see no reason to limit the keyword Student to the Youthful ability... there are, after all, adult and middle aged college students.

Granted, I was just speaking from the level of consistency we've had in the game thus far. Some of the event interactions involving the keyword clearly use it as if it read "High School Student", such as when the gym teacher, principal, or shop teacher enter the mix.

I'm not claiming the small town of Woodinvale couldn't have a college, or that Gwen might have just been home on break or passing through. I'm just looking at any odd questions that could arise from possible interactions.

And I was thinking about how well the Youthful and Occult abilities would work in tandem.

"Mature Student" alleviates my concerns.

Yeah, I understand the concern. I think most of the Hero cards that reference Student could still work, as she might still have ties to her old high school, but "Teen Angst" in particular doesn't work. So I will change her keyword to "Mature Student" or maybe "Adult Student". I also think Suren's keyword should be changed to Teacher, considering that has been added now with Mr. Goddard.

Roman Farraday wrote:
Gwen is a great idea! An adult with the "Student" key word. I love the CAREFUL ability. Not so crazy about OCCULT STUDIES -- I like the idea but as for the mechanic, I'd never take a wound just to maybe negatively affect the zombie player. Consider changing that to where she can take a wound to look at the zombie player's hand and discard a card -- now that might be something.

Well, that seems a little too powerful to me. Not only do you discard something they already had in hand, but you know all of the rest of what they have in hand. There's just something about infiltrating the Zombie player's existing hand that doesn't feel right to me, especially considering she could do that multiple times in a game (if she heals wounds). With the ability as I had it, you don't touch the Zombie player's existing hand, but you discard something they were about to get and know one card that they will soon have. I like the narrative aspect of that, where she can warn the others about something the zombies might be up to (e.g. "I think we should split up" if the card is Bickering or Last Night on Earth). Knowing what that card is can also render it essentially useless if it's something like that, or at least you can avoid it for a while until the Zombie player discards it. But perhaps she should draw three cards, discard one and replace the other two... that would make that a little bit more worth doing.

Quote:
I like Derrick and ADRENALINE a lot too, you might just copy Jade's wording on SUCKER PUNCH.

Ah crap, I forgot that Jade had that ability. In that case, I'm going to scrap it or change it, as I really wanted all of these abilities to be unique... Hmmm, how about "LAST GASP: If killed in a Fight, the Zombie that fought him takes a Wound." It's a once-per-game ability, and maybe not even that if he survives... and he's more likely to survive, anyway, with his ADRENALINE ability. But still, the ADRENALINE ability is pretty strong and this would make a nice companion ability for that... he gets stronger when he's wounded, and gets one last shot in if he dies fighting.

Quote:
Suren, well, I think FLEXIBLE is a huge ability, better than Billy's. With Survival Decks in play, this might be too strong. At the very least, I don't think he would need a 2nd ability, certainly not CORPSE POSE. I'm not crazy about the name "Corpse Pose" btw, it sounds like an ability that would fool zombies into thinking he's dead, not a healing ability.

Heh, that's funny, but I think you're right, so I'll change CORPSE POSE to SAVASANA, which means the same thing. I like that as an ability, though, but I agree that FLEXIBLE is too powerful as it is... I'm thinking FLEXIBLE could/should be something where he can spend a Wound to do something, which would make his SAVASANA ability a good match for that. Perhaps he can take a Wound to move through any wall space (implying he squeezes through the window or whatever), so he's flexible, but it'll still hurt him to do it. Or maybe it's better if he might take a Wound when he does that, so he can move through wall spaces, but takes a Wound on a 4+ when he does so. I think that might be better...

Quote:
Lillian to me is more funny than anything. I think the movement part of LEADERSHIP is unnecessary, the fight die thing is enough. FILIBUSTER is hilariou.

Yeah, I said these were meant to be "serious" characters, but her FILIBUSTER is more of a joke than anything. I guess since politicians are sometimes good at manipulating situations to their advantage, that could imply that she thinks of something on the fly to distract that zombie.

I think the +1 Movement is important, though, as it implies more of a "take action to get something done" kind of political motivation. And yes, it could definitely help with searching the Survival Decks which is powerful, but I think anything that requires the coordination of Heroes being in the same space has a built in liability with Zombie cards like Bickering and Last Night on Earth and Catfight. So maybe I'll keep the +1 Movement and not the +1 Fight Dice. But in that case, she may be too weak considering her FILIBUSTER isn't something she's likely to use very often and she only has 2 Wounds. How about: "LEADERSHIP: Any Hero in her space gains +1 Movement and wins Fights on ties." Winning on ties is nice but isn't as powerful as having an extra die to roll.

Thanks much for the input... I'll post new images when ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A new addition (Donna, the ex-Marine), and the others updated, for now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eh... Donna strikes me as a bit OP. Heroic cards are pretty crazy as is, and being able to cycle them seems really... er... bad. Against All Odds every turn sounds very unfun for zombies, as does Heroic Resolve, Heroic Rage, Laying Down the Law...

I mean, granted, you can't stack them, but having her in the game means that the Heroes have a HUGE edge the second a Heroic card hits the table, especially Against All Odds. Knowing that you have an unkillable hero every turn makes most scenarioes a breeze (Why bother to stop searching? I can't die!, or "Burn 'em out? No problem.") Especially with Johnny, who can not only run thought spaces with zombies, but do it multiple times without fear of dying. He (with a decent weapon) can wipe an entire building of zombies very quickly, and/or use zombie hunger to make other missions a breeze (Standing on spawn pits, keeping zombies away from the manor house, etc.)

I mean, it might sound like it's not a big deal, but I haven't had a game yet where at least 1 or 2 Heroic cards hit the table.

Lillian's amusing, but I have one small gripe. filibuster seems like it could slow a game WAY down if she's near a zombie horde, having to roll per-square every turn she's next to a zombie.

Alternately, it seems kinda weak if it's only one zombie, as the odds of her being next to a single zombie she doesn't want to see move that will significantly alter her chances of survival seems slim. In my experience, a lone zed (or even 2) rarely bring down a competent hero if the zombies are using normal movement (No shamble or dragging meat to surprise the heroes, and such cards would make filibuster useless anyway).

I'd say give the ability back the 2 square range if it's single-target, to stop dragging meat ambushes and give her more than one chance to stop a lone zombie or two lumbering after her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, those are good points. I was thinking that the Heroic card thing might be overpowered, especially if she could cycle the one where you remove a Zombie from the game when killed. But as you say, some of the others can be quite powerful in the right hands.

I updated them both (see above)... I ended up removing the Heroic thing and amending the Mission ability, although I'm not sure now if she's quite strong enough with just that (and the Dishonorable detriment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Korson
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Never trust the brute-force power of a computer network to do the job of a combinatorialist.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
...the ex-Marine...

FYI there is no such thing as an ex-marine. If you don't believe me, ask a marine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Elsey
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
AGKorson wrote:
Grudunza wrote:
...the ex-Marine...

FYI there is no such thing as an ex-marine. If you don't believe me, ask a marine.

O but there are. The DC Sniper and Anthony Edward Sowell (born August 19, 1959) is an American serial killer known as the Cleveland Strangler. He was arrested in October 2009 after the bodies of eleven women were discovered by police investigators at his Cleveland, Ohio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.