Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got it bad for VPG's Zulus on the Ramparts! and am looking to purchase a few more of their games. Although I'd like to try Israeli Independence, your review makes Soviet Dawn, with its increased choices, a better bang for my buck.

Also good to note and consider when reviewing VPG solo games is their complexity. Soviet Dawn (and Zulus) rates 2.5 out of 9 for complexity. As opposed to Israeli's 2. Other solitaire affairs range from 3 and 4.

And I wholeheartedly agree - the States of Siege system is screaming for a zombie makeover. Zulus has convinced me it can be done and done well by VPG!

In contrast, it will be interesting to see how their latest solo game, Toe-to-Toe Nu'klr Combat with the Rooskies, plays and differs fro the tension of an 'all fronts being assaulted' affair.

Thanks again for the review. I'm sold on Soviet Dawn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great review! You spoke volumes about a system that has produced some really fun and exciting games. You'll be happy to know that a zombie States of Siege game is in development. Designed by the amazing Hermann Luttmann, it's called "Dawn on the Zeds" and it has everything that makes a zombie game enjoyable - hoardes of shambling zombies that need killin', fleeing civilians, a desperate search for an antidote to the zombie plague, unique characters with special abilities, the desperate hunt for supplies and ammo - all in an easy to pack and easy to set-up format.
Your description of VPG is spot on in terms of philosophy and production - as we like to say, "The Gamplay's the Thing!" I'm convinced that as more people experience a Victory Point Game, the more they will grow to appreciate the value of the games being produced.
Toe-to-Toe is the first in a new series of games using an engine designed by Chris Taylor. It's a lot of fun and really captures the flavor of the historical time period and the film Dr. Strangelove. The game footprint is small but the enjoyment and smiles are big. Keep an eye on the VPG website for more announcements about SoS games and games using the Toe-to-Toe mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
professorwelch wrote:
What a great review! You spoke volumes about a system that has produced some really fun and exciting games. You'll be happy to know that a zombie States of Siege game is in development. Designed by the amazing Hermann Luttmann, it's called "Dawn on the Zeds" and it has everything that makes a zombie game enjoyable - hoardes of shambling zombies that need killin', fleeing civilians, a desperate search for an antidote to the zombie plague, unique characters with special abilities, the desperate hunt for supplies and ammo - all in an easy to pack and easy to set-up format.

Thanks for dropping in Prefessor Welch.
Your news of a states of siege zombie theme is so cool to read. In addition to Forlorn and Circus Train, it's nice to see VPG branching out into other themes. With the inclusion of Zombie game, VPG's popularity and sales will only grow.

Please let me help with playtesting! I have oodles of time to playtest in the summer. I can get in a lot of gaming and provide feedback.

EDIT: Just placed an order for Soviet Dawn and expansion, Toe-To-Toe, and Israeli Independence and expansion (just feel this one's essential for a true States of Siege fan)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.