Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold the Line: French and Indian War Expansion (from now on FIWE) is the first expansion for Hold the Line. It offers scenarios from the French and Indian War, known in Europe as the Seven Years War. The battles simulated are Snowshoes, Louisbourg, Montmorecy Falls, Ste-Foy, and Bloody Bridge, although the rules provided in FIWE can be extended to the scenarios included in Clash for a Continent: Battles of the American Revolution and French & Indian War.

Gameplay (26 out of 28): FIWE uses the same basic rules from Hold the Line, but with the addition of the French, who are just the British in white coats, and two new unit types: Indians and Rangers. Indians are hit and run units that can move and attack units up close. They also move quickly through forests. Rangers represent Robert Rogers's Rangers, a formation that earned much fame during the war. They too move effortlessly through forests, but while Indians are made for close attacks, the Rangers rely upon their rifles to deal long-range damage. With the addition of new terrain pieces, including forts, Indian villages, boats, and deep water, FIWE has a more engrossing feel than her parent game and plays significantly different, yet retains the simplicity.

Tactical (5 out of 5): The new units require an adjustment of tactics. Each is mobile and effective in attack, but their low morale ratings prevent them from being able to 'hold the line' or be placed in a precarious situation. In this way they are like aircraft carriers in World War II; they pack a punch but are a high risk target due to being relatively fragile. This forces a mostly historic use of these troops.

Bloody Bridge:

Accessibility (5 out of 5): When you add new terrain and units you ruin the risk of over-complicating things, but FIWE avoids this. Everything works right into the system, and the Indians sort of feel like the dragoons from the parent game.

Components (5 out of 5): The new terrain tiles look better, being more defined with more vibrant colors. The new units look great, particularly the rangers. I love seeing the French lined up and ready in the Ste-Foy scenario.

The New Units:

Originality (2 out of 2): This is the strong suit of FIWE. With the exception of Ste-Foy, all of the scenarios make effective use of the new units and terrain, so the battles feel distinctive from the those in Hold the Line. This feels almost like a different game at times. Now, to be fair to Ste-Foy, it does include Indians and a ranger unit, but the meat of the battle is fought between French and British regulars.

Snowshoes: A Unique Experience:

Historical Quality (4 out of 5): With simpler games of this ilk, you are not looking for the minute, but do the sessions feel right and history seems possible? On both of these counts I can say affirmative. My first session of Ste-Foy actually ended up almost just as it did historically: a costly French victory. Add to this fact that the new units are powerful but fragile, and that the original game served history rather well, and you have what is possibly the most accurate of the simple modular wargames thus far. My only gripe is that their are no unit facing rules among the optional rules. This thread offers a solution that I like: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/358429/experimental-fiel...

Overall (47 out of 50): FIWE is a perfect expansion. It brings the French and Indian War to life, adds to the parent game, and is distinctive enough to be played on its own. Also, the new units and terrain can be transferred to the Revolutionary War. Engagements along the frontier, such as Blue Licks and Vincennes can be simulated, as well as more famous battles such as Bennington. If you own Hold the Line and enjoy it, then get this expansion.

Love the Cover:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful analysis!
Liked your point about unit facing,
leader fragility is a BIG possible game-ender, IMHO.

Could you explain the difference between rangers and
Indians?
Rules make them seem similar for movement and combat..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Indians?

Not a problem. Rangers have a range of two hexes, while Indians must be adjacent to attack. Also, Indians do not have elite status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
Quote:
Indians?

Not a problem. Rangers have a range of two hexes, while Indians must be adjacent to attack. Also, Indians do not have elite status.

Thanks, just to clarify:
1. Can Rangers CC from 2 hexes?
2. Do they shoot like infantry, hitting on 5-6 adjacent; 6 at 2 hexes?
3. What is the Ranger +1 in woods?

4. Can Indians fire at a range of two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Can Rangers CC from 2 hexes?
2. Do they shoot like infantry, hitting on 5-6 adjacent; 6 at 2 hexes?
3. What is the Ranger +1 in woods?

4. Can Indians fire at a range of two?

1. No
2. Yes, but for 2 AP they can move and fire, making them more flexible.
3. No, they simply do not stop when entering woods.
4. No, they only fire at adjacent units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4. No, they only fire at adjacent units.

I just read the rules again, and actually it is a little ambiguous. They can move and fire, but only if the unit is adjacent. It appears they can fire 2 hexes away, but only if they don't move. Once again, it is a little unclear, but I can see either interpretation working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they should be able to fire 2 hexes away. Remember how good of a shot Hawkeye (Daniel-Day Lewis) was in the movie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.