United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... and first in my gaming collection.

I am not a person who jumps easily to the highest accolades for anything. To "wow" me takes a lot, not because I am impossible to please, but because I have seen far too many "this is the best (blank) ever" that flopped that I am hesitant to go ga-ga over much.

However, having received my game today (in less than 48 hours from ship time from CA to IL ... there's your first WOW), I can make, without hesitation, the following statement:

I have owned many games in my life, including We The People. I've seen some good game engines. Seen great graphics. Read some tight rulebooks. Washington's War is, without a doubt, the finest combination of game engine, graphics, component quality, and tightness of rules that I have ever owned or played. Period.

BOX: The game box impresses from the instant the shrink-wrap is removed. A sturdier, heavier box has never been produced for any game, anywhere.

COMPONENTS: The quality doesn't stop at the box lid. The counters are thicker than one would expect, and are colorful. The back-printing issue of the control markers aside, the other counters look great. I love the optional general counters for those who aren't keen on the stand-up style counters.

The play aid cards are well done and on sturdy cardstock.

MAP: This baby is not only beautiful, but it's solid! And heavy, too! Very well done, given the movement away from heavy mounted maps to the lighter, cardstock-style maps.

RULES: This is one of the tightest rulebooks I've ever read. And yes, because I have lots of WTP experience, the rules made sense more quickly. However, the rules are tight, folks. And the new rules for the French Alliance, alternate uses for event cards, the ability to "raise a card from the dead" with an OPS card, and the new combat system all make a great game even better.

It's now more clear than ever that both sides must win with completely different strategies. This asymmetry is essential to capturing the essence of just about any revolution, let alone the American Revolution.

I cannot express just how handsome this game is, both physically and from a game play standpoint. The pictures you've seen posted on BGG, the graphics in the VASSAL module, the rules you've read online ... all of those things don't do Washington's War justice.

It is a game that must be seen and experienced to be believed. It may very well be the best wargame I've ever played.

Kudos to Mark Herman and Joel Toppen on a job very, very well done.

Brien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
... and last in the American League! (sorry, couldn't resist completing the old joke)

I haven't had a chance to read the rules yet. But I'll second that the rules' layout is very attractive, and the components are beautiful. Hope to play this game next weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the backprinting issue you talk about with the control counters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There are 13 control markers for the colonies. 3 are correct with American on one side and British on the other. 5 have American on both sides, and 5 have British on both side.

Mr. Herman has already stated in another thread that you should be able to play most games with the counters as they are. You can also use excess contorl markers. Know too, that they are purely esthetic and you can play the game without using them at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Martin
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
What is the backprinting issue you talk about with the control counters?

Jeff beat me to it, but he's correct. The counters aren't essential to playing the game. GMT added a "Colony Control" tracker on the map that you can use for an at-a-glance type of "scoreboard".

The counters, again, are extras, not needed to play the game at all.

Brien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
ah, I didn't notice when looking at my counter sheet. Ya, shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for the explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both of these solutions in my Washington's War Box.

I prefer the blocks.

ps - The mis-printed back side on those few counters is really not any reason AT ALL to not get and play this very fine game! This game is just wonderful - very very fun to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really clear from your review - have you actually played it yet? How many times? And what is the gameplay like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael K.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Hoe, hoe, hee, hee!!? Zo werkt dat niet!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jakinney wrote:

There are 13 control markers for the colonies. 3 are correct with American on one side and British on the other. 5 have American on both sides, and 5 have British on both side.

Mr. Herman has already stated in another thread that you should be able to play most games with the counters as they are. You can also use excess contorl markers. Know too, that they are purely esthetic and you can play the game without using them at all.

But I assume that we can just send GMT a quick e-mail and they will send a corrected replacement countersheet for free right away...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Martin
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Doupe wrote:
It's not really clear from your review - have you actually played it yet? How many times? And what is the gameplay like?

Rob,

I've played the game four times using the VASSAL module while waiting for the game to arrive. All four games were solo, using the system I have outlined in the Variant section.

I played WTP a lot, wearing out a couple of Strategy Decks and a couple of Battle Decks (this was in the day before it ever occurred to me to use card protectors). WWR is very similar to WTP, but different, as well.

The game plays very smoothly (again, because I had the familiarity with the system already via WTP, the mechanics and rules were very easy to assimilate), and the new battle system is much better than the Battle Card system, if only because there's no shuffling that has to be done before each battle.

You can now use those "dead" cards in your hand, like the enemy's event cards. You can "buy back" a card from the discard pile by paying an OPS card to do so. The French Alliance now occurs as a direct result of the things that the Americans do to get that alliance (sending Franklin, winning battles, etc.), not at the whim of a card draw.

Much of what was WTP is in WWR ... and what is new to WWR serves only to tighten up the game, and (only Mark can answer this) address those "if only I had thought of that then" issues that a re-design and re-release can do.

If you enjoyed WTP, or if you enjoy any card-driven game, I think you will whole-heartedly enjoy WWR.

Brien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rich
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
to make this current, it should now be "and last in the National League (East)"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
soccerref wrote:
to make this current, it should now be "and last in the National League (East)"...

Hope not this year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.