Subject: recommendation for california rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
André Fleischer
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
Hi,

I am planning my california road trip. I will do a round trip starting in San Francisco and then visition the major places like the Yosemite NP, Sequoia NP, LA, San Diego etc.

I need some recommendation for game shops in california. The shops should offer a good choice of board games. RPG is not important for me, imported games from Europe are not important too. (because I come for Germany)

Kind regards
André

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check Richard Oldham, living in Sacramento and pick up a copy of Dinosaur Chess directly from the designer of the game!
Go to his website or send him a geekmail, you save a lot of shipping cost:
www.dinochess.com
Richard Oldham
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer

Plus:
FLGS of the USA - A List of Game Store Advice on BGG II

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
In the San Francisco Bay Area I would check out Endgame in Oakland, Games of Berkeley in Berkeley, Black Diamond Games in Concord, and Just Awesome Games in San Francisco (Gamescape has a somewhat bigger selection, but Just Awesome has a lot of demo copies and will take the shrink off of anything to let you take a look at it).

I'm giving short shrift to the south bay stores here 'cuz I haven't been to any of them (though I hear good things about Game Kastle in Santa Clara and Gator Games in San Mateo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Empire probably has the best selection in San Diego from what I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I'm giving short shrift to the south bay stores here 'cuz I haven't been to any of them (though I hear good things about Game Kastle in Santa Clara and Gator Games in San Mateo).

Both are good. Game Kastle is much better organized and has a large play area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Chavez
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pair-A-Dice Games, about an hour north of San Diego, has a mix of Euros and American games. Get on state freeway 78, going east. Look for the In-And-Out Burger on the right and get off at the next exit. Your stomach may not be used to greasy beef at first, but that store is an experience by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://spotlightongames.com/list/bayarea.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Empire in Pasadena is great, huge selection of new, old and used games and superfriendly staff. Pasadena is north-east from LA, around ~20 miles. 2302 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA‎.

http://gameempirepasadena.com/

Also Pasadena itself is worth a short stop, nice downtown (well, nice for a US city), Norton-Simon museum with some great paintings, Huntington Library with some nice gardens and more. If you need one day off in your trip, it's a good option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Clark Jr
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to Sequoia then you'll probably pass through Visalia to get there. There's Pwner Games here. Also you'll likely pass through Fresno as well which has The Game Preserve in the Tower District. The link below leads to a few more options in the Central Valley.

Central Valley Gamers, The Market

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rich
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: recommendations for california
In the L.A. area, the top surviving game stores besides Game Empire in Pasadena are The Last Grenadier in Burbank, Aero Hobbies in Santa Monica, and The War House in Long Beach. There is a new store in Santa Barbara, by the way, on the west side of lower State St. downtown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tycalt wrote:
Game Empire probably has the best selection in San Diego from what I know.

In San Marcos you should be checking out Pair-a-Dice!

I like both stores but I think P-A-D in Vista has a bit better selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Clark Jr
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also in the LA/Anaheim area there's Brookhurst Hobbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Both are good. Game Kastle is much better organized and has a large play area.

Game Kastle is one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to say this(*), but if you already know what you want, you should consider placing an order with one of the major US online vendors and having it delivered somewhere along your itinerary.

The US does not have a national sales tax or VAT, and very few states have reciprocal agreements with each other. A sale of merchandise delivered across state lines is tax-free. That, plus the discount business model of the online vendors, can add up to significant savings that far outweigh the cost of shipping a package.

(California residents are supposed to keep track of the value of merchandise they mail-order from out of state and pay a lump sum tax on it when they file their annual income tax paperwork, though few people actually do so. You are not even a California resident.)

(*) There are lots of threads filled with arguments and flamewars about supporting local game stores versus buying from cheaper online vendors...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll want to plan ahead and check out Game Kastle's schedule to see which events you want to attend. Free RPG day is coming up. Although you don't play RPGs, the Free RPG giveaways are fun reading on the plane.

Los Altos Gamesday is *the* largest SF Bay Area game club, and the next event is in late June. 13 hours of mostly Eurogames, although I plan to run a FFG game at 10am: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Pacificon / ConQuest SF will be held in September.

After planning, I recommend you post your itinerary, so we can suggest smaller shops and clubs you might enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soccerref wrote:
In the L.A. area, the top surviving game stores besides Game Empire in Pasadena are The Last Grenadier in Burbank, Aero Hobbies in Santa Monica, and The War House in Long Beach. There is a new store in Santa Barbara, by the way, on the west side of lower State St. downtown.

I believe the Santa Barbara store is called Game Seeker. Stumbled upon this store while vacationing in the town for a weekend. The guy at the counter, possibly the owner, was a hilarious Irish guy. Don't take any of his jokes to heart, show you have a sense of humor, and he may even give you a discount (if you ask for it).

Ended up buying Lost Cities and RoboRally there. Highly recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls