Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be in Seattle for a day this upcoming weekend and will be staying near Seatac. Just curious if there are any game stores nearby (I will have a rental car) that I can poke my nose in and see what is what?

I do have plans to see the Museum of Flight, but my next flight leaves Seattle at 5am so I won't be out doing too much.

thnx in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not a miniatures guy so GW stores are out. Most of the stores I know are north or east of Seattle which means at least a 45 minute drive for you.

However, Game Matrix is fairly large and is south of the airport.

On the eastside (Redmond/Woodinville) are Uncles Games, Games & Gizmoes and Ernies all of which have good inventories.

In the north are Blue Highway Games (more family mix), Berserk,and Gary's Games.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brugato
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
Nullum gratuitum prandium.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ken.

Here are a couple:

Gary's Games and Hobbies
8539 Greenwood Ave. N.
Seattle, WA 98103
(206) 789-8891
(800) 327-4292
http://garysgamesandhobbies.com/main.htm

Blue Highway Games
2203 Queen Anne Ave. N.
Seattle, WA 98109
(206) 282-0540
http://bluehighwaygames.com/default.aspx

Also check the following thread in the BGG Seattle Guild for more:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/170837/local-brick-morta...

You'll enjoy the Museum of Flight. Have a great visit!

-Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game Matrix is at least forty-five minutes south of you, too. Yeah, there's nothing really good in the SeaTac area. Everything's forty-five minutes either north, south, or east.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
The Game Matrix is at least forty-five minutes south of you, too. Yeah, there's nothing really good in the SeaTac area. Everything's forty-five minutes either north, south, or east.
Well, Blue Highway would be more like 20 min if it's not a heavy traffic time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle's Games is in Southcenter Mall -- located in Tukwila which is about 5 minutes down the road from SeaTac Airport. I was there last summer and they had a good selection of euros. They also have a gaming area that had open gaming going on on a Saturday evening.

http://www.unclesgames.com/stores.php?osCsid=o4ul278ggq3a7ku...

edit: The Museum of Flight is fantastic - you'll love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stever
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got my monthly game day at my place set for this Sunday. If that lines up with your trip, you're welcome to join us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MartinStever wrote:
I've got my monthly game day at my place set for this Sunday. If that lines up with your trip, you're welcome to join us.

Much obliged but I'll be in San Diego for Sunday. (Fly out of Seattle at 6am)

Thnx everyone for the info. Now to figure out how to pick a store that fits within my timelines and my desire to drive anywhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Depending on the type of geek you are there is also the Emerald City Comic Con this weekend.

http://www.emeraldcitycomicon.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at that when I saw an ad for it on TV. Wifey said "no" soblue

I should be thankful I at least get to go to the Museum of Flight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Living in Tacoma, I'm obligated (and happy) to recommend visiting The Game Matrix. It's a huge store filled with gaming tables in one half, and wares in the other. Over the last couple of years they've quadrupled their board game & wargame stock, so you might find something worth your while. They also have a great selection of RPGs, miniatures, and even boffer weapons for LARPers. Can't say much about the prices, but the store and staff are pretty great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thnx for the info. As was discovered earlier, I'm not much of a miniatures guy. Nor am I into RPG or CCG's. The closest I'm at right now to CCG's is Warhammer: Invasion.

I'm mainly into euro's and "ameritrash" although it seems tough to get the "trash" to the table that often.

I am wanting to get a hold of a Commands & Colors: Ancients 3rd Edition to see if I can get that to the table.

Otherwise I am basically looking to see if there are any better prices for games such as:
Through the Desert
The Downfall of Pompeii
Dungeon Lords
Sylla (or another good Roman-themed game)

or anything else that may strike my fancy when i am in the store. I do tend to impulse buy with the best of them (so does my wife - and she's only ever gotten one flop that way too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. Didn't know that wife was with you and placing limits.

What else are you going to besides Museum of Flight? Does the wife play with you at all?

If you want a shopping area, go to Redmond Town Center. There's some decent restaraunts in an outdoor mall setting, a bookstore and, even a small theatre. Uncle's Games is there and has a good mix of Euro's and some wargames. (425) 497-9180.

If the weather is nice you may want to head up to Blue Highway Games (address and phone number nicely posted above). This store carries a fairly good selection of games and has an open library with gaming area so you can "try" things out. If memory serves, there's a nice tea shop across the street. It's also relatively close to Green Lake, a good neighborhood/park/path kind of place to be when the sun is shining.

You could also go all the way up into Woodinville and check out Chateau St. Michelle and Redhook Brewery. It's a pretty drive up the valley. Then you can casually find your way into dowtown Woodinville which has the typical if nice run of Starbuck's, Barnes & Noble, etc along with Ernie's Games. There's a superb burger joint just around the corner from Ernie's if you're into that.

Just depends on how you want to shape your day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes. My wife definitely plays. We get together weekly with another couple in town and play games every Saturday night. It's just she doesn't like some of the games I do (thus my Britannia has never seen the light of day - same with Duel in the Dark). I'm hoping she will like Commands and Colors but I may be pushing it. And in fact, she will eagerly go into game stores with me. She does better looking at a game on a shelf than researching it on here. Of late she has picked up Alchemist, Sunken City, Celtica, and Dice Town all just on an impulse and we have enjoyed them.

However, she has stated that she wants to go to the outlet stores to go shoe shopping if we have time ... So I do have to try and deal with the timing issue - how much time do we spend going to a game store versus going to a shoe store ....

Right now I want to hit the Museum of flight and make sure I don't miss anything there. Then it is off to a game store or two if I have time and probably see if there is time to go to a shoe store for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Nordstrom Rack down near Southcenter Mall and also in a few other locations around Seattle. That store always seemed to satisfy the shoe cravings of my sister and I!

http://about.nordstrom.com/MapPoint/PrxResults.aspx?GSTATE=W...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brugato
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
Nullum gratuitum prandium.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were you Ken, Cubsfan31's suggestion of Uncle's Games in Southcenter would be my choice if I had limited time, and could only stop at one store. It's basically right between Boeing Field (Museum of Flight) and SeaTac Airport, so it would be on the way.

Cubsfan31 wrote:
Uncle's Games is in Southcenter Mall -- located in Tukwila which is about 5 minutes down the road from SeaTac Airport. I was there last summer and they had a good selection of euros. They also have a gaming area that had open gaming going on on a Saturday evening.

http://www.unclesgames.com/stores.php?osCsid=o4ul278ggq3a7ku...

edit: The Museum of Flight is fantastic - you'll love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We had a great time in Seattle and a real blast at the Museum of Flight! I was pretty excited to see this:

We also managed to get to Uncle's Games in Southcentre and The Game Matrix. I didn't pick anything up in Uncle's Games (I did find some of their prices quite high even for an FLGS). But I did pick up some games I was looking for at The Game Matrix. There was some sort of card tournament going on when we were there so it was practically just me and my wife in the "wares" section giving us lots of time to hum and haw over what to pick up.

I almost picked up Commands & Colors: Ancients but decided against it as we had weight and packing issues with our suitcases. In the end I picked up:
Camelot - I hadn't seen this at any FLGS or even OLGS in Canada
Ivanhoe - this has been hard to find for me so it was a no brainer
Fantasy - my wife likes to pick an impulse buy when we go game shopping so this was her unknown pick. We were pleasantly surprised.

Hopefully we'll get a chance this summer to come down again and check out some of the other stores. I want to take my daughters to the Museum of Flight so maybe a road trip is in order this summer.

Thanks again for all of your help!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls