Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Mann
United Kingdom
Wigan
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello this is my review of hornet leader 2.
This interview will be split into 5 sections with a rating of 1 to 10 for each section.

First of all I would like to say what the games about. Hornet leader 2 would be best described as a card game with war game elements. You are tasked with managing a squad of f-18 hornet pilots in various settings you must select the different weapons best suited to the mission and so these are the basics off hornet leader.

Counters 8/10:
The presentation of hornet leader 2 is quite consistent. First off the counters are very nice and are easy to tell apart from each other as they all have the name of the unit written on the side and the pilot counters all have the individual pilots names. The weapon counters clear and well labelled. The reason I gave it an eight not a ten though is because of the ground unit counters as I felt like the pictures all looked the same which bugged me but otherwise they are great

Boards 5/10:
Unfortunatly the boards for hornet leader 2 are the worst part of the game. While they are fine gameplay wise and are very practical I find them very boring. What ruins the board in my opinion is the fact that their is a total lack of imagery the boards are very plain and lack any sort of imagery however dont let this put you off the game as this is not a major issues and does not effect gameplay. I would also like to ask Dan Verrsen Games if I can post my own version online

Cards 10/10:
The cards in hornet leader in my opinion are excellent the pilot cards are simple yet informative as are the target and event cards however what I liked about them was the images on the card I think the photographs suit the feel of the game and while they might not be to everyones taste I really like them

Rulebook 9/10:
Now for the part that the majority of you will have been waiting for. The rules are available for free on DVG website. The rules are 14 pages in length but the first four are mostly for owners of the vassal game the rest are the games actual rules. The rules are pretty clear and are easy to read I only read the rules once and I was ready to play the game but this is thanks to the excellent play aids that are on the boards they help make the game a lot easier to play as you dont have to remember the little details. However their is a few things that aren't covers in the rules like resupplying weapons but otherwise the rules are very clear and easy to read

Gameplay 10/10:
This is where the game truly shines. You start by selecting choosing the campaign you want to do and how long you want it to be in you then take a campaign sheet and start the game the basics objective of the game is to score as many points as possible in the time you have by completing various mission you do this by first drawing a mission card and you add the enemy ground units onto the board you then choose your pilots and weapons for the mission this bit is very important as your weapons choices have a large effect on whether or not you'll be able to complete the mission. Most missions are just bombing runs however there are a few variations like dog fightsin which you have to take out all the enemy aircraft. once you start the mission after choosing your pilots and weapons you must draw a events card which all have different effects some are bad some are good after you have drawn the event card you have one last chance to make any pilots bale out. Then in the next step combat takes place the player has 4 turns to destroy the target before you have to leave this is often a case of getting in close, unloading your weapons and leaving the mission area. Every mission you win gives you points and gives your pilots stress. Stress is bad news stressed pilots dont perform as well as they normally do and to much stress will make your pilot unfit and they will not be able to fly until they feel better. The challenging mix of resource management and strategy makes the game great fun to play. The game is also quick to play making it good to play during a lunch break

Conclusion:
For my conclusion I would say that this game is perfect for people who enjoy light wargames or solo gamers the $14.99 that the game costs is well worth it. If you cant make a copy for some reason I would advise getting the vassal version which works very well, I own the pdf and vassal versions of the game and I would seriously advise getting both versions its also cheaper to buy both at the same time. To put it short this is a great fast light solo wargame my final rating for the game is
10 out of 10 I cannot praise this game enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Gabe - thank you for the review!

One big area of improvement people will see in the new Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations boxed game will be the artwork.

Wan is creating all the artwork, and he is doing a great job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Gabe - Yes, please post your boards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Dang, competition!!! You know the game is great when you start getting fan-made components
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I'd also advise getting both the vassal and PDF versions. I use the vassal version to avoid having to make the components, but the PDFs are still an excellent reference.

I'd also put in a word for the PC version of HL II available from matrix games

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/347/details/Hornet.Leade...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.