Popular Tags: [View All]
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all.

I'm about to release a portable version of Backgammon (format 1), but I'm not sure about which colors to use. Can you help me with this?

Please post your suggestions here. The border (outer area) of the board must be white. And I can use white, yellow, red, green, blue, gray and black for the counters.

- Background.
- Triangle 1.
- Triangle 2.
- Counter 1.
- Counter 2.
- Bar.

Thank you very much!

Néstor Romeral Andrés
nestorgames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to try making a variety of them in different colors. It would be really neat and interesting if you could let people pick their own colors for the set at the time they placed their order.

I suspect a lot of people would like to use the same colors as their university or their favorite sports team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Backgammon is the most popular game in Greece! The usual piece color combinations are:

black - white
black - red
black - yellow
red - white
white - blue
white - green

Most boards here use light brown and brown but you could make the main board with a grey background and white & black triangles. For the pieces you could choose an not so unusual red-yellow combination.

Another possibility that is not uncommon is for one set of pieces to have the same color as one set of triangles. In the above color example your pieces could be red-white or blue-white or green-white. Avoid black on black as shadows get lost and the pieces are not very visible.

There are at least three Backgammon variants that are played in Greece, each with a different setup and different playing skill requirements:

PORTES: http://www.bkgm.com/variants/Portes.html
PLAKOTO: http://www.bkgm.com/variants/Plakoto.html
FEUGA: http://www.bkgm.com/variants/Fevga.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
Backgammon is the most popular game in Greece! The usual piece color combinations are:

. . .
white - blue
. . .
If you are only going to do one, I recommend blue and white for the triangles in honor of the flag of Greece.

And blue and gray for the counters and maybe a black bar and outline for better contrast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite sets to play on use cork for the background, with red/black or red/white triangles for the board. The stones can be various contrasting colors, I like red and off-white stones the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
You might want to try making a variety of them in different colors. It would be really neat and interesting if you could let people pick their own colors for the set at the time they placed their order.

I suspect a lot of people would like to use the same colors as their university or their favorite sports team.

That is a good idea. I hope I can do this in a near future with most of the games, but by now the printing technology is not perfect. I must print several tests until the colors are ok. So no custom boards by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
GeoMan wrote:

. . .
white - blue
. . .
If you are only going to do one, I recommend blue and white for the triangles in honor of the flag of Greece.

And blue and gray for the counters and maybe a black bar and outline for better contrast.

I like that. But what about the background?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

black - white
black - red
black - yellow
red - white
white - blue
white - green

Most boards here use light brown and brown but you could make the main board with a grey background and white & black triangles. For the pieces you could choose an not so unusual red-yellow combination.

Hmmm. Sounds good. Maybe a B/W board is a bit dull, but red-yellow for the pieces may compensate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n_r_a wrote:
GeoMan wrote:

black - white
black - red
black - yellow
red - white
white - blue
white - green

Hmmm. Sounds good. Maybe a B/W board is a bit dull, but red-yellow for the pieces may compensate it.

You can see how one will look here:

The neutral board colors will allow you to offer many different piece color combinations. Avoid having both piece colors the same as the triangle colors because then the board looks confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
But the background is light blue, right? I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Just some random thoughts:

Hue to me is less important than lightness and saturation. Bright, primary colors could look garish. Rich darker colors, or less saturated pastel hues, would look nicer.

I think one of the piece colors should be neutral, i.e. black or white, and the other should be colored, rather than having both piece sets be colored.

The triangle colors should match the piece colors, but not necessarily the same shade, to avoid a camouflaging effect that hides the darker colored pieces in a poorly lit environment.

Alternatively, using GeoMan's suggestion of a board with all neutral colors, plus two different non-neutral piece colors, could work as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Still working on this. What pieces would you use with the following board?

- Triangle 1: Black.
- Triangle 2: White.
- Background: Light blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls