Popular Tags: [View All]
Fredericus Rex
Germany
Bamberg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things before I start, first I’m not an nativespeaker so don’t be to cruel and second this is my first review.

After getting a copy of this game on ebay (35 € jeah^^) I played it 4 times, 2 soloplays and 2 games with a friend of mine...each time the Rossbach and the Leuthen scenarios. So this review is the extract of my experiences.

Prussia’s Glory is a 2 players operational wargame that covers 4 of the most famous battles of the 7 Years War: Rossbach, Leuthen, Zorndorf, Torgau. Each of them with a short battlescenario and a mainscenario.

Components:

The two maps are 22x34 inch doubleprinted and very beautiful. Each hex represents 500 yards, with woods, marches, streams, villages and so on. The areas are large enough to give you the space to maneuver. I’m a fan of europeanstyle hardstock maps, but each time after get a new cosim with a paper map my steps leads me to a copyshop where I get them sealed.cool

The 704 5/8" counters are simply gorgeous and small pieces of art, I mean lock at the pictures and tell me I´m wrong . All important values are printed on them and very clear: Strength, Moral, Movement, Steps.

2 playeraids are added and give a good overview of turnsequents, terrainmodifications and combatresultcarts, all very clear so thumbs up thumbsup.

But where there is light there is also shadow...

The Rulebook:
The rules itself are pretty clear and after some turns easy to grap…but the rulebook is really an enemy for its own. An important rule could be just everywhere, or even more likely it is divided, so one part is on page 11 the second on page 20 and the exception on page 25. It could so much easier...at the beginning there is a gloassary, with short summaries of every important thing, but without telling you where you can find the exact rule *grmpf* shake

The Game:
Well at the beginning there something of a maneuverphase. The allied player puts his army into position, followed by Old Fritz. But mostly only the Prussian army is activated, which means that at the first few turns only the Prussian player may move. In the normal games in which I had an real opponent I played the Allies, but even as I had nothing to do but sit and watch it wasn’t boring, because I was always thinking: oh hell he’s moving in this or that direction...what can I do? The allied player may pay Army Moral Points, trying to actived his army. Or he waits until the Prussians are as close as 3 hexes...which means VEEEEERY close arrrh.

In a normal turn you check if your troops are fully effective, move your troops, resolves combats and rally disordered or routed troops and than it passes to the next player.
The combat itself is resolved by a single dice, in which terrain, moral, cavalryshock value and and and comes into play.

The feeling of the game:
The game gives you really a good feeling of a battle in the 7 years war. Fritz maneuvers with lighting speed into an attacking position, and than attacks! The Prussian infantry- and cavalrymen are really fearful opponents and with good leaders, but each lose hurts. On the other side the allies have mostly really an overwhelming force, but with incompetent leaders and some troops that are not even good enough for cannonfodder. But most important is the question: Is it fun? Like hell it is! My opponent and me had a really good time, and most important it produced some special and tense moments. Example? After falling sometimes Moritz, brother of Friedrich, led his men personally against a fortified wood, with some good Austrian croats, and a battery of artillery...and gets shoot. On the other side of the battlefield finally Ziethen and his heavy cavalry breaks through the French position...but to late, they get encircled by fresh troops and died, not even one of those brave men surrendered.

Finally:
So now I can tell you that this game is really a good looking and intelligent beauty. For everyone with a long breath for the rulebook (not the rules!) and an interest in the 7 years war it is a mustbuy. Especially because it plays rather quick: For two main battles and explaining the rules we took only 6 hours.

For me 10 points the game ...and a -1 for the rulebook = 9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT has a revised version of the rulebook available for download that rearranges everything in a more traditional way (same rules; just presented differently) -- have you looked at it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredericus Rex
Germany
Bamberg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope...but thanks for the info...like I said, when you once get the rules everything is ok. So for me its to late laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.