David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
However, if they believe that something one person made in their free time is going to compete with this program they have supposedly been working on for years

Millenia, even? I think the aliens brought the initial version of the Dominion Program to Earth when they landed to build the Pyramids. Since then it's just been Donald and Jay conspiring with those guys at Area 51 to keep it from us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I thought we were talking about changing the names of some of the cards to eschew gender-discrimination.

Nice thread title angry

[/little joke]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
delirimouse wrote:
However, if they believe that something one person made in their free time is going to compete with this program they have supposedly been working on for years

Millenia, even? I think the aliens brought the initial version of the Dominion Program to Earth when they landed to build the Pyramids. Since then it's just been Donald and Jay conspiring with those guys at Area 51 to keep it from us.

I knew those two were up to no good. They always just seemed too... nice.

In total seriousness, though, if it later turns out all the dominion cards are hidden in the hex representation of e I'm going to be very mad at myself for not noticing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
tibbs2 wrote:
So the online version of this game on BSW is no longer running? (Haven't been on BSW since last spring.)
It only has 35 of the 7879 kingdom cards. More of a teaser than anything else.

Fixed that for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
metzgerism wrote:
tibbs2 wrote:
So the online version of this game on BSW is no longer running? (Haven't been on BSW since last spring.)
It only has 35 of the 7879 kingdom cards. More of a teaser than anything else.

Fixed that for you.

Only for you Europeans. Us Americans aren't privy to the Stash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
jatill wrote:
donaldx wrote:
I hate to break it to you, but the entire card is art. Even the text is on a background someone drew. I can't speak for Jay - and you should assume he will say no to everything! - but if you want to maximize the chance that no-one minds your program, you should not use any game art. Don't start from scans of the cards and blot stuff out; start from nothing. I would get you going with a stick figure version of Woodcutter, but that might be construed as me sanctioning your program, which I simply can't do. We have our own program coming and I have to support that one. It's probably better than yours anyway; I hear it has the real art and everything.

DonaldX-
Ok, no problem. I'll remove the download link until I figure something out. I really am not trying to be a bad guy here, or hurt your product in any way. I was just unclear on what's allowed and what's not, and as someone mentioned, I heard what I wanted to hear (i.e. interpreted your response in he most convenient way for myself)

So now I'm 100% clear that I will use no scrap of art from Dominion. Are there other things I should be wary of using? Are card names and text copyrighted as well? If they are, then clearly I'm best off not sharing at all. I won't be heartbroken if that's the case; I made this game for my own enjoyment before ever knowing that an "official" version would be released at some point.

Once that version is available, everyone is happy and my game becomes obsolete, since everyone (myself included) is likely to buy that, as it will definitely be a superior product, and will be officially endorsed by RGG and yourself. Until then, I thought it would be nice to have a digital version of the game that could be played solo. I made every effort to give credit where it was due, and linked to RGG's site so that people could by the paper version.

If you (or Jay) disagree and want me to stop sharing at BGG, I will respect your wishes.

Way to stay civil and polite while Donald bitch slaps you around in public.

Donald, I can understand this is a touchy area (copyrights and all) but maybe take him out to the woodshed rather than beat him here in the toy store with everyone watching?

In other news: Donald, you really need an avatar! (suggestions welcome)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
You could always dig up the "Zombinion" re-themed stuff... all new art and everything. It'd be a shame to see such a great piece of software go to waste.

That right there is a terrific idea, though this time be sure to get the permission from the guy who did that and from the L4D people before distributing that (I believe that permission was granted for the imagery from L4D to be used for the PnP cards, but that may not extend to a PC program).

Regardless, I am glad to hear that there may be some kind of official Dominion PC program, and I would definitely buy that. I couldn't resist trying out this program when I saw it, though, and I thought it was well implemented, by and large, so until the official RGG sanctioned version is available to buy, I would think that a Zombinion or otherwise rethemed version using this structure would be nice to play around with. I'm not sure if I should be encouraging that or not, though, so I apologize if that's not welcomed by RGG (especially considering the recent statement they made allowing fan expansions under certain conditions, which was very generous).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirkwb
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maxmaven wrote:

I offered to animate any piece of Dominion artwork he wanted once for an avatar and he politely declined.

A year later I think it makes sense.

I think the:

Donald X.
(donaldx)

Without any bells and whistles stands out more than any of the flashy avatars.

Same with Tom Lehmann, part of the designer game scene is the recognizability of designer's names, and geeks recognize them almost instantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I said nothing about it needing to be flashy or animated. Just something to make his posts more recognizable. An avatar helps with personal branding, even if it's minimalist. The absence of it means you lose some measure of uniqueness and easy recognition, since there are so many users without avatars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxmaven wrote:
I said nothing about it needing to be flashy or animated. Just something to make his posts more recognizable. An avatar helps with personal branding, even if it's minimalist. The absence of it means you lose some measure of uniqueness and easy recognition, since there are so many users without avatars.

How about....

X
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the PC adaptation several times now and it's really what I needed to play solo games when nobody's around (which is mostly the case).

I hope the official version will be at least as good as this one and playable from a USB-stick. If so ... then I'll definitely buy it meeple

question to DXV : Is there anything known whether or not the game will be upgradable so that future cards can be included ?

cheers,

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player77 wrote:
I played the PC adaptation several times now and it's really what I needed to play solo games when nobody's around (which is mostly the case).

I only played once, but that one time was an embarrassing game. While my three AI opponents bought Smithies like they were worth VP, I used Embargo, Steward, and Upgrade to hone a beautiful deck. I ended the 4-player game with 4 Provinces and 4 Duchies. The three empty piles that caused the end? Estate, Duchy, and... yep, you guessed it: Smithy. I'm pretty sure my 36 points skunked each of my opponents.

...all I'm sayin' is, Keldon's RftG it ain't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lindsay-Levine
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
In total seriousness, though, if it later turns out all the dominion cards are hidden in the hex representation of e I'm going to be very mad at myself for not noticing.

This is currently believed to be true but unproven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Jeff
United States
Sterling
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

My head hurts surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Lesavoy
United States
West Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:

You could always dig up the "Zombinion" re-themed stuff... all new art and everything. It'd be a shame to see such a great piece of software go to waste.

This would be full of awesome. Do this please. Quickly. I have the paper version of the real one. I need the zombie version electronically!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bprevas wrote:
maxmaven wrote:

Is it wrong that I'm now thinking this should be a picture of a box of Q-Tips?

I think kirkwb needs to do one of the Chancellor cleaning his ears out with a Q-Tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a plan. Though how do we know that Donald isn't *already* in one of the Dominion cards? There's someone suspiciously like Dale in one of them, so it wouldn't be a complete surprise to find Donald in one too. In which case *that* should be the card to get the animated Q-tip treatment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
There's someone suspiciously like Dale in one of them...

Man, that guy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
RDewsbery wrote:

Man, that guy!

I mean, really - he's even got a microbadge that looks suspiciously like him as well!

/microbadge/6027

However, his Q-Tip consumption rate remains unknown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
yudp wrote:
out4blood wrote:
RDewsbery wrote:

Man, that guy!

I mean, really - he's even got a microbadge that looks suspiciously like him as well!

And he even created it himself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
yudp wrote:
out4blood wrote:
RDewsbery wrote:

Man, that guy!

And he even created it himself!

What can I say.
I'm my own biggest fan. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Let me fix that...

Dave41fan wrote:
I only played once, but that one time was an embarrassing game. While my three AI opponents bought Smithies like they were worth VP, I used Embargo, Steward, and Upgrade to hone a beautiful deck. I ended the 4-player game with 4 Provinces and 4 Duchies. The three empty piles that caused the end? Estate, Duchy, and... yep, you guessed it: Smithy. I'm pretty sure my 36 points skunked each of my opponents.

...all I'm sayin' is, Keldon's RftG it ain't.

Funny. It's usually pretty balanced for me. My GOD, the horror that ensues when there are attacks out... they're machines like in Terminator; they never tire, they're RELENTLESS...

AAAAAARRRGGGHH!!!!!!..... {keels over in a pool of his own entrails}

Seriously, Dave -- give it more than one play. Its AI is rarely intuitive, but usually still decent and somewhat challenging. It also makes a great engine to try out new deck ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That microbadge is very small. I've met the real Dale, and I'm pretty sure that he was bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
How about....

X

Needs more q-tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Needs more q-tip.

What does this even mean? I've seen several references to Donald X and Q-tips but can't find a source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.