United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the Railways of Mexico map this past weekend with three players. While it is an introductory map, the rules do say you can use the Railroad Operations and Rail Baron cards from Railways of the Eastern U.S.

I knew several of the Railroad Barons were specific to the U.S. map, but it had been a long time since I had played any of the games in the series and I forgot about the Hotel and Service Bounty cards being unique to the map. So I wondered if anyone had created a list of cards to use with the map, possibly even creating one which could be printed at Artscow. Nope, there are none.

So I looked at the cards which came with the Railways of the Eastern U.S., Railways of Europe, and Railways of England and Wales and came up with a mix of cards I think would work.

Creating a Railroad Operations deck

Here are the Railroad Operations cards I would create/use:
The Railroad Era Begins - standard starting card
Speed Record - standard starting card
Passenger Lines - standard starting card

3x City Growth
4x Hotel (Mexico City, San Antonio, Guadalajara, Vera Cruz)
4x New Industry
2x Railroad Executive
2x Railroad Inspector (from RoEnW)
4x Service Bounty (Brownsville, Salina Cruz, Culican, Lazaro Cardenas)
3x Tunnel Engineer (from both (RoE & RoEnW)

That ends up being 25 cards, which would make it the smallest deck. The size should be fine since it also the only board designed for a maximum of four players.

The Government Grant card is not as useful as the Tunnel Engineer card on this map because there are not many open spaces except in the area of Texas, so I decided to skip it in favor of being able to build in mountains at a reduced cost.

I like both the Railroad Executive and the Railroad Inspector (from RoEnW) cards on this map. Each Railroad Executive adds an action to the game and the Railroad Inspector takes one away. Both are cards which should increase the likelihood of someone bidding up turn order.

I chose to add the same number of City Growth and New Industry cards as there are in both Railways of Europe and Railways of England and Wales. I could see an argument for reducing both by one, but if you are making an Artscow deck, you will have 54 available slots so making an extra one wouldn’t hurt as you could always remove it from the deck.

When choosing the cities for the Hotel and Service Bounty cards, I did a quick analysis of how the appeared to be chosen for the other maps. The Service Bounty cards often appeared to be used to get tracks built to the outskirts of the maps, to cities which weren’t part of major lines or cities chosen for Hotel cards. I chose Brownsville, Salina Cruz, Culican, and Lazaro Cardenas.

For the Hotel cards, they often are bigger cities. I chose Mexico City, San Antonio, Guadalajara and Vera Cruz, to try and spread them out all over the board.

I was also tempted to add the Perfect Engineering card, but getting the extra build track option seemed like it would be too useful on a smaller board.

Creating a Railroad Baron deck

I saw two options. I could just take the eight cards which aren’t specific to the Railways of the Eastern U.S.:

• 6 pts./Biggest Engine
• 6 pts./First "6" Engine
• 6 pts./Most Cities
• 6 pts./Most Links
• 6 pts./Most Track Tiles
• 7 pts./Fewest Bonds
• 7 pts./Most Money
• 8 pts./Longest Railroad

This would work, especially if you wanted an Artscow deck of 27 cards (or less) so you could make 2 copies of the Railroad Operations cards.

I like having some of the cards being unique to the map and some of the points awarded for these cards is a little high for the small map, so I looked at the cards for all the maps and came up with this list, which uses the point values from the non-U.S. maps.

• Gain 2 points for each link that your railroad owns from Mexico City to any other city.
• Gain 5 points if you are the player connected to the most cities at the end of the game.
• Gain 5 points if you are the player with the longest railroad (most consecutive links)
• Gain 5 points if you have the largest railroad (the most total links).
• Gain 5 points if your railroad connects Culican and Tampico.
• Gain 6 points if you are the player who issued the fewest Bonds at the end of the game.
• Gain 6 points if you are the player with the highest level engine at the end of the game.
• Gain 6 points if you are the player with the most money at the end of the game.

These bring the point values down a bit while using the eight Baron types that are present in all the other expansions.

For the 5 points for connecting two cities card, I chose Culican and Tampico because one is on the east side and one on the west in the middle of the map, and they are far enough apart to make it a goal worth the points on the map.

I don't have names for the eight Barons. I would probably come up with names of actors, writers, politicans, or musicians to use, though I suspect someone out there might have a list of Mexican rail pioneers/robber barons.

How about Hugo Reyes as one of them?

Railroad Operations card text

The Railroad Operations cards which don’t have an exact duplicate in the Railways of the Eastern U.S. would read:

Hotel
1. Gain 1 point on the income track for each goods cube delivered to Mexico City (regardless of which player makes the delivery).
2. Gain 1 point on the income track for each goods cube delivered to San Antonio (regardless of which player makes the delivery).
3. Gain 1 point on the income track for each goods cube delivered to Guadalajara (regardless of which player makes the delivery).
4. Gain 1 point on the income track for each goods cube delivered to Vera Cruz (regardless of which player makes the delivery).

Railroad Inspector
Play this card to stop 1 delivery of any other player. The cube stays on the city and that player loses his/her action. No player may be stopped by an Inspector more than once per game.

Service Bounty
1. The first player to deliver a goods cube to Brownsville gains 4 additional points on the income track.
2. The first player to deliver a goods cube to Salina Cruz gains 4 additional points on the income track.
3. The first player to deliver a goods cube to Culican gains 4 additional points on the income track.
4. The first player to deliver a goods cube to Lazaro Cardenas gains 4 additional points on the income track.

Tunnel Engineer
On a future build action all mountains and ridges are half price for that build.

Call for creative Geeks

I don’t have the artistic skill, or art program to create such a deck. I just have some ideas what I would like to see. So, if anyone decides to make an Artscow deck with fancy graphics, these are my ideas. Run with them if you like, or do your own. Just please let me make a copy for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea and did a little work one idea for a card back of this deck. I'd be happy to work on the rest of the deck, if there was agreement on the contents. (I haven't played the Mexico map yet, so I've got little idea on what would work well for hotels/service bounties.)
or
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Simonitis
United States
Rahway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We rarely play with Railroad Inspector. Far too often it encourages the holder to play kingmaker. Consider substituting a permanent card called Civil Engineer, which each action would reduce the cost of building on any one river hex to zero. All the rivers in the Mexico map would make this tempting, but not too tempting (bid it up too high and it'll take too long to recoup the money bid).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
I'd be happy to work on the rest of the deck, if there was agreement on the contents. (I haven't played the Mexico map yet, so I've got little idea on what would work well for hotels/service bounties.)

Cool! Let's see where this thread goes?

Datharaur wrote:
We rarely play with Railroad Inspector. Far too often it encourages the holder to play kingmaker. Consider substituting a permanent card called Civil Engineer, which each action would reduce the cost of building on any one river hex to zero. All the rivers in the Mexico map would make this tempting, but not too tempting (bid it up too high and it'll take too long to recoup the money bid).

I like it. I've never played with the Railroad Inspector, but can see how that would happen.

How about the Civil Engineer building in water hexes as if they were clear for one action? It would save up to $4,000. Either one works, though.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
How about the Civil Engineer building in water hexes as if they were clear for one action? It would save up to $4,000. Either one works, though.

I was thinking about this on the way in to work this morning.

The New Industry and Government Land Grant cards are essentially worth $10,000 and $8,000. Shouldn't any card be worth somewhere in the neighborhood of that?

What if the Civil Engineer card let you build on water hexes for $1,000 each for one round. Essentially, it would net you the same as the Government Land Grant. Letting you build up to four for free feels too powerful to me, but I also haven't played the game a whole lot.

Comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1st draft of a Baron card:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaason, the Railroad Baron card looks sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason,

I think we can go with the card list as I suggested, leaving out the Railroad Inspector and using the Civil Engineer.

I've created a poll in another message to try and come up with the best text for the Civil Engineer.

Anyone else, remember to tip Jason for creating the deck graphics. The samples so far look sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben James
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby, I also considered issuing a call to RT/ROTW fans to create some artwork for a deck for use with Railways of Mexico, but refrained from doing so due to my shortage of GG to give out. Since purchasing ROTW, the majority of my plays have actually been on the Mexico map, sans operation/baron cards. Actually, I have very few plays on the Eastern U.S. map due to either time-constraints, or the fact that we've been teaching new players on the Mexico map. For that reason, I don't feel too confident about giving my opinions on which cards to include/not include or modify/leave alone from the Eastern U.S. operation/baron cards.

Jeff Aaronson did come up with some rules for using the existing operation/baron cards here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/52066/guide-for-using-... but no customization or artwork.

I'm very excited about an Artscow deck, because I lack the skill to design one myself. Around Christmas I even started researching Mexican railroad history for some ideas for the Barons. There is either very little Mexican railroad history, or I just don't know where to look. I suspect the latter.

I'd gladly give what little GG I have left to someone that created a functional deck formatted for Artscow. I'll leave the decisions as to which cards are best to those of you who have played the U.S. map's operation/baron cards more than I have. My only preference is to have map-specific barons/operations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The starting 3 cards. *edit* Images updated, I added larger text at bottom for points earned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 4 hotels. For each picture, I tried to make sure it was of a building in the appropriate city.

Images updated, I switched the text, so the city name was first, then the word Hotel was second. Better flow that way, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More cards, I think I've got everything but the Barons now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8 Baron Cards. My father-in-law is convinced we need a Pancho Villa Baron card as well, but we were unsure of what the effect would be. I researched all these guys and they were either in Mexican government before the railroad was privatized or important in building railroad in or to Mexico.

Now, if anyone notices a typo, spelling error or other mistakes, please speak up, else I'll be putting these up on Artscow in the next day or so. Also, soon after that I'll make a printable pdf for anyone who wants to print these at home instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I had been thinking that one would print the barons and the railroad operation deck together with the same back. But that puts the complete deck at 33 cards, so you can't print two in one artscow 54 card deck. So.... Should I make a different back for the barons and then one could print 6 baron decks together? Or.. should I make up a few other cards in this style (including possibly more barons) to flesh out a 54 deck all with the same back? What about player aids? Does the Mexico map need different ones than the US? Would the Major Lines fit on a card? Does someone had a good image of that information?

As for possible extra operation cards, I have few that I'd designed for the Australia map that might be fun to switch in/out for the occasional game on this map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you think works. I will be happy to get from Artscow. I was going to ask if you thought maybe four major routes cards would be a good idea. The one on the board is tiny and hard to see at times.

With the 33 cards and four more major routes cards, that would be 37 cards. Player aid cards would work, too. There is no Western Link and that is listed on the card, plus if anyone buys the map board for use with Railroad Tycoon, then they might need to be reminded that ALL water hexes need to be paid for and that following the river is no longer considered clear terrain.

That would be 41 cards.

Plus, any you want to add. I wouldn't mind having different ones to try out at times.

Thanks, again, for all your work on this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben James
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the major route cards would be great. The Eastern U.S. Map comes with them, but not the Mexico map.

I was about to recommend a First Level 6 Engine player marker, but then realized that Bobby's proposed deck didn't include this. Good call Bobby. With the tightness of the Mexico map and length of the game, level 6 rarely comes out for our group.

Although perhaps with the new operation cards, which can can lengthen the number of rounds (City Growth, New Industry), people may want to reintroduce this Baron card. What about including the First "6" Engine effect as an alternate Baron card with Pancho Villa on it (gotta keep the in-laws happy) as one of the extra baron cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My father-in-law wanted Pancho Villa to be a Baron that steals points from another player, or something like that. But.. perhaps we could come up with another dude for the 6 point engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Simonitis
United States
Rahway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering how Pancho Villa was in charge of the Division del Norte, how about 3 points for connecting Chihuahua to Brownsville? Also, if you want to go with militaristic aggression, reduce each other player's score by one and increase Pancho Villa's by one per player.

If you want to keep it simple, each other player loses two points, all of which Pancho Villa gains.

(We rarely play Mexico. Maybe adding cards to the rough board would make it playable.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Simonitis
United States
Rahway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, on the Manuel Gonzalez card, it should be Culiacán, not Culican.

Porfirio Díaz has an accent.

I am not familiar with Don Antonio Escandon, but from what I know of Spanish, I really want to put an accent over the O in his last name.

Otherwise, the cards look good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
Whatever you think works. I will be happy to get from Artscow. I was going to ask if you thought maybe four major routes cards would be a good idea. The one on the board is tiny and hard to see at times.
Ok, I've tried to read the one on the board, but the images available in the gallery are not clear enough for me to read both sides. Can anyone list the 4 major lines for Mexico?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
Bobby4th wrote:
Ok, I've tried to read the one on the board, but the images available in the gallery are not clear enough for me to read both sides. Can anyone list the 4 major lines for Mexico?

I'll get the info for you when I get home this evening, if it hasn't already been posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Duh.

I had them in the spreadsheet I used to try and figure out the best cards to m ake for the board.

They are:

El Paso to Guadalajara for 6 pts.
San Antonio to Vera Cruz for 7 pts.
Torreon to Mexico City for 5 pts.
Manzanillo to Salina Cruz for 4 pts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New Pancho Villa Baron and updated names:

Extra Railroad Operation Cards (all extra cards have a symbol at bottom to sort out easily):

Player Aid:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, as always!

I love the idea of the Operations Growth card. The picture you chose for the Engine Upgrade is perfect, with the shiny engine on it. All the other cards are good choices and would be fun to try.

How many of each are you going to include in the deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
Awesome, as always!
Thank you.
Bobby4th wrote:
I love the idea of the Operations Growth card. The picture you chose for the Engine Upgrade is perfect, with the shiny engine on it. All the other cards are good choices and would be fun to try.

How many of each are you going to include in the deck?

Expanded rules for some of the new cards:
Trading Depot: This card functions very similar to a hotel. When the card is chosen, a player must pick a link or track owned by another player (they cannot pick their own track). Whenever this track is used for a delivery, the owner of the depot receives one point. This does not reduce the points earned by any other player. No link may have
more than one depot on it. Depot Token, if you want to print some out, can be found on sheet two of the rules for the Australia Map.

Operations Growth: If this card is in the initial draw of cards, shuffle it back into the deck and deal out a new card.

I was figuring on two of each of the new cards, depending on space in the deck when I add it to artscow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |