Subject: My review. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A A
United States
Jewett City
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I do my reviews in a comic book style on my blog, so if its not stepping on any toes, I will link to it here.

But for the lazy to summarize: Its full of rules holes, too luck dependent, and absolutely too expensive for what you get.

I'm hoping some of the holes I found are just myself and my friend missing things, but I checked and rechecked and still couldn't find the answers in the rulesbook.

Unboxing and overview: (BGGers probably can skip this part.)
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2010/03/zombie-month-unboxin...

First look review where I play out a couple situations and give things a looksee before I show the game to others. (Apparently not too many people do that as my friends continually seem surprised I try the game out a bit first.)
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2010/03/zombie-month-first-l...

Now what flaws and omissions I found with a friend just playing the first scenario, with my final thoughts.
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2010/03/zombie-month-all-thi...

Yeah I could probably houserule a lot of it, but I shouldn't have to, and most of this stuff should have been covered. And its certainly not worth 60 bones. Not even 30. Its a 10 dollar print n play or a 20 dollar SJGames old style minibox title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kopp
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Wow, an interesting review One that will place my purchasing of this game on hold until I get more feed back from other gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, a good review that pointed out what you percieve as flaws in a very objective way. Also quite convincing; I have this game on the radar, and didn't really intend to buy it right on, but this enforces my wish to see it in action before I make any choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a neat idea using cartoon balloons. The format is a bit constrained for a game with as rules as flexible as ATZ, but you cover the basics in an entertaining fashion. And, your style and insight are useful for someone looking to learn about the game.

However, you make a mistake that is common of reviewers here at BGG. You assume that everyone is going to share your pet peeves, and to the same degree. I waited for the game longer than you did. I didn’t like it, but, c’mon, it makes for a good story. I paid the same pre-order price you did, I’m happy with what I got for that price. You don't need to incessantly complain about the retail price, you provide enough information to let the reader decide value for themselves.

To say this game should be a PnP is silly, and petulant. My PnP of Dead of Night, another zombie game, cost nearly twice what I paid for ATZ. The component quality of ATZ is vastly greater than PnP. And, the game is a very professional product, not something an amateur designer created.

The rules could be more detailed and tighter (and duller), but they are not full of holes. Over thinking the rules is a pitfall. I had a few questions, some of them resulting from not letting go of previous habits. The designer has answered them all on this forum.

Finally, you are wrong about game play. This is another time your prejudices undermine your review. Yes, the game has a fair amount of luck. The game assumes survivors entering a zombie-infested town are going to need some luck to survive? But, the luck of the draw dictates the shape and direction of any particular game, not necessarily the outcome. You give a lot of information about game play, and then draw a harsh conclusion based on your personal preferences. Heck, if the game did not have a fair amount of luck involved, I’d be disappointed. But, the game gives me the tools and the opportunity to make my own luck, and shape my own tactics and strategy. And, it feels like what it is portraying, most game elements directly relate to “real world” actions. It’s not as abstract as other zombie games, I like that. Like you said, it’s fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
[stuff]

This is what I like with negative reviews, because they bring forth the enthusiasts who counter the critique. And counters against negative criticism is often the best combination to help others form an opinion.

Do mark, though, that the OPs comments on components, price and luck is something that most people take with a grain of salt. I've never made a real comparison between components and price, it's more a matter of how fun one will have with the game, and I believe most people do think that way… in the end. Luck isn't anything I'm ever bothered about in a game. What I found most interesting criticisms were the rule holes, as they can be a real letdown for hex-battle type of games, but if the designer is here, then that's not a big problem.

It's more the overall impression that one who really anticipated the game was rather disappointed, and why, that is the real information. And the fact that you step forward and explain why you were NOT disappointed. All good info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But what did you think of the price? I couldn't tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave you a decent tip, not necessarily because I agree with you, but because we need more reviews. And session reports.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Price issues aside, my main worry is that the OP is making valid points about how well the rulebook is put together.

Having now played the minis game I have found it to be a good set of rules, with most if not all situations covered. It would be a shame to find out that the boardgame version does not share this virtue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Fleck
United States
Sycamore
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting on my copy but, like most games these days, you can find the rulebook online. For those that are on the fence because of questions on how the rulebook is set up, go see for yourself. It's definitely one that will work better as a "read through once, then begin playing" than as a "skim, play, learn as you go".

http://www.locknloadgame.com/sneakmanuals/ATZ-Manual.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

I got my copy yesterday and read through the rules. I had a couple of questions and read through the rules questions / answers already listed here on the game page. That seemed to answer most of my questions. I even posted a question and got a response from the game designer within a few hours. I really like the look of the game and am anxious to break it out with friends. I'm more of a hex-and-counter gamer and most of my friends are more Euro-style players - and I think this might be a great middle ground!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
But what did you think of the price? I couldn't tell.

The full retail price is pricey. If it were $30, like the OP suggests, it would be a no-brainer. I paid $50, after shipping. That’s a half-brainer. It retails for $60, which is the same as Left 4 Dead 2, or taking my family of 4 to see Avatar (including popcorn and drinks). I think those are also pricey.

For the price, you get a good looking game that is innovative, well executed, fun and challenging, and it has ZOMBIES! I wanted the game, I’m happy with what came in the box. If I were not happy with what I bought, it would not matter how much (or how little) it cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Easy Rider
msg tools
Bloodcat, liked your review of ATZ. It seemed honest and unbiased.
The pros and cons I have heard or come across so far concerning ATZ are as follows...

Pros

1. The game is fun to play
2. The graphic are very nice
3. The counters are a little thicker than previous LnL games
4. You can play the game various ways such as co-op
5. Good customer service

Cons

1. Price
2. Map problems
3. Some counters unpunched
4. Rules could be written better
5. Scale (1 counter per hex)
6. Counters perhaps too large for the hexes
7. Card discoloration
8. No colored dice provided

Before buying the game, consider the pros and cons and if you are satisifed with the information others have provided (good or bad), then buy it. That is my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Thanks for taking the time to review the game and offering your opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
az_sunsets73 wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to review the game and offering your opinions.

Ed on valium?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Nope.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Just like this previous review.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/508172/all-things-zombie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, regardless of positive or negative, I found this review to be much more informative and detailed than the previous one. I'm still on the fence, though and I'm currently on "wait and see" mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
Deerwood
MN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I disagree with the bulk of the review. I might be a bit more sympathetic on the luck issue if this was being designed for tournament play at WBC or something like that but for the solitaire/cooperative niche that it fills (yes, I know it can also do skirmish but I'm guessing 90% of the play will be what I said) I think it is just fine. Aside from the board issues the components are great. I might find the price a little high if paying full retail but at preorder or mail order prices I think it is acceptable and not too far off the norm for the wargame market. I think the rules will generate a few questions, partly because of assumptions by gamers, partly because there are a few areas where working could have been clearer. I don't see this as a big deal because support here is clearly top notch and most of the issues, which are minor, can be resolved with common sense. Being smart in this game will improve your odds of survival. Sort of like real life.

Still good for you for reviewing it and driving the discussion forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really useful review, and highlights some of my concerns. I am REALLY interested in getting this game. It looks great, and the theme is obviously a good one. I read the rules and at first I thought it all seemed pretty straight forward, but as I progressed I did start to feel like the rules were a little "fluffy." This may have been done on purpose to make the game more of a "kit" that you can easily tailor to your requirements, but I am always interested to know what the original rules are before I mod them.

I haven't played yet, and only read the rules once through, and maybe once you start playing all of my questions are answered through the implementation of logic, but even so I found myself asking questions like, if I win a surprise roll in a building and step back out, is that the end of my turn? Can I continue moving with unused movement points? Can I shoot my gun into the building or throw a grenade? Can you select the space where you enter the board? If so, do you count the half-spaces? If you don't count the half-spaces, can you start on the first whole space AFTER the half space, or do you have to enter via a whole space that touches the edge of the board? If I flee and hit a group of zombies, do I immediately stop? Would I enter combat as if I had just charged? If I flee into a survivor, would that survivor get to make a being charged test? If I am fleeing and I run into line of sight of a survivor, can he take an in sight test? If he shoots me and hits me do I stop running? If he missing, do I continue my flee or do I stop and take a receive fire test? And so on...

Please don't flame me if the answers to all of the above are really obvious and a second read-through of the rules would reveal the answers. I am not posting to beat up on the game as I love the look of it and think it would be a blast (if I could get my hands on a copy) and I wouldn't dream of insulting a game I haven't even played. But my initial look at the game has left me feeling like it might be a bit too "fluffy." Perhaps it all makes sense "in play."

Happy zombie-bashing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian F
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im glad I read this, even though I found out today the game is finally on the way. I like to hear reviews from both sides not just the cheerleaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still

Awaiting

My

Copy.

A slow zombie shuffles faster than my delivery guy, apparently.

I figure I'll play ATZ someday, if silverfish don't eat the components first in the back of some mailroom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wyrm187 wrote:
Im glad I read this, even though I found out today the game is finally on the way. I like to hear reviews from both sides not just the cheerleaders.

Sometimes a review can not be so much from a cheerleader as from someone who already knows the game and what to expect. I'll admit I'd have had a major gripe if I'd gotten my game and the maps had been buggered. I was lucky in that aspect. Cards that have lighter or darker coloration are not that big a deal... I don't memorize what to expect from each draw.

Sorry if I sounded like a cheerleader. I'm not... I really think the game is well done. That's not fanboy... that's simply just an honest opinion born of many times playing the original miniatures rule set and progressing through to the board game afterwards.

Perhaps for me having played the miniatures game... I knew what to expect and any of the uncertainties that come from new play weren't as prevalent with me.

I'm really happy about how the game becomes so much more portable for those of us who want to play it. The minis and terrain aren't a big deal but they do take up space. The board game with it's counters and maps takes up much less space and does allow almost the same enviroment to play in.

I understand some people are looking at the game and going... "What? That's it? And I paid how much?" I can't really understand why they're puzzled. You can buy many wargames for similar prices and yes they may have more counters or a couple of laminated charts but in all honesty... you're getting the same thing. You don't need expansions to play the game... you don't need add ons to make it work. You need patience but that is true of any game and unfortunately you have to provide that... it doesn't come from the retailer. This game is trim, it's complete, it's pretty for the theme at hand. If you want Euro glitz then get a Eurogame. This is a wargame and it gives you everything that you need to play.

Focus on the true pros and cons... (whatever they might be for you... yes I still want a machete and a few vehicles but I'll live) and then decide from them if it's not the game for you. If you really can't deal with a roll of the dice deciding your fate then make sure that it's the dice and not you buggering up that is making the game a trial for you. Give this game the same fair chance you'd give any one... don't blame the hype after the fact... we're all responsible for giving in to it... no one puts a gun to our head.

Right, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Quote:
Perhaps for me having played the miniatures game... I knew what to expect and any of the uncertainties that come from new play weren't as prevalent with me.

That's why I do not put much stock in peoples opinions until they have played the game at least ten times.

Even though you may be playing Tonya with a Rep 5, you're really a Rep 2 in reality because you haven't got a clue how the game plays or what strategies will work.

Those that have played the minis game have a huge advantage as they have some experience to draw from.

Check your ego at the door and learn how to play the game. It's really quite fun once you've learned how.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A A
United States
Jewett City
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thanks for taking the time in reading it. (That goes for everyone.)

Any chance of an FAQ covering many of the rules questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloodcat wrote:
Thanks for taking the time in reading it. (That goes for everyone.)

Any chance of an FAQ covering many of the rules questions?

Thanks for being a good sport, Bloodcat. That's too rare on the Net, and should be acknowledged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
az_sunsets73 wrote:
That's why I do not put much stock in peoples opinions until they have played the game at least ten times. [...]

Those that have played the minis game have a huge advantage as they have some experience to draw from.

Check your ego at the door and learn how to play the game. It's really quite fun once you've learned how.

Thing is, not everyone has played the minis game, and you can't expect people to have done so either. Being "no fun" until you have played it at least ten times is a quite serious flaw for a board game. (Not that I think anyone who thinks the game's boring the first ten times will change opinion)

He didn't say he didn't like the game. He said he thought it was OK. He just didn't think it delivered for the money it costs. So chill out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.