Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel Pinto
Portugal
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Greetings everyone.

Anyone know a good "physical" shop to buy boardgames in New York?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
palanolho wrote:
Greetings everyone.

Anyone know a good "physical" shop to buy boardgames in New York?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

I'm going to assume you mean New York City (vs. the entire state of New York).

In Manhattan, there's the Complete Strategist, near the empire state building. They have a respectable selection, but charge full retail, and the staff is not particularly knowledgeable re: what they have in stock. They also have no play space, although I think they run some events in the back sometimes.

Most comic shops (Forbidden Planet by Union square for example) will also carry some, also generally charging full retail, and having a generally restricted selection (unless you want Yu-gi-oh or MTG).

Not sure about the outer boroughs, I've been to King's Games once, but it focused more on CCGs and less on a wide selection of board games.

I hate to recommend it, but if you're the type of BGG that happens to buy 10+ games a year, online is the way to go. You're basically getting an extra 2/3 games for free!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Sadly, the first poster has named almost all the boardgame stores in the greater NYC area - Ya got the Strat, ya got King's Games wayy out in Brooklyn, and ya got a couyple of GDW stores - one on the Upper West Side and another in the East Village - but all they got is GDW stuff (obviously).

The Strat once had satellite stores in the Upper West Side and Rockefeller Center, but I'm pretty sure they're gone.

An oddly barren landscape for a city of this size and reknown, but that's how it's been since Neutral Ground closed a couple years back, and even back then it was just that one more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Pinto
Portugal
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm i see that my city is not the only one with the "where to buy" problem :(

Ok, lets say i would buy online and send it to an adress in NY city. Anyone can recommend me a good online site?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the companies that advertise here on BGG have reasonable prices, and at the end of the day, you'll find that it probably doesn't make a large difference.

Some companies have free shipping if you get over $100 or $150, which is usually the size lot of games that I buy.

Personally, my default is usually cardhaus.com. I've had friendly interactions with their staff, and while they no longer offer free shipping on large orders, their base prices are slightly lower than other places. When I add it all up, it usually looks like they win by a few bucks. Since at the end of the day the product arriving is identical, it seems foolish to not elect for the cheapest.

Other places that I can think off the top of my head(google for links)

boards and bits
thought hammer
fun again games
amazon (prices usually suck, but for some titles you can get free shipping, and since i have prime, its 2 days!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Zukerman
United States
Rockville Centre
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frisk is right, but all is not lost. If you're willing to take a trek out to Nassau County on LI, Board Gaming is beginning to really pick up there.

The Game Table in Mineola
Grasshopper Comics in East Williston (close to LIRR)
Games and Gifts Galore in Seaford (clost to LIRR)

The first two have really good customer service and ok table space. The last is still trying to find their niche.

The Game Table is really trying to dive into the gaming community. They also have a board gaming night on Wednesdays where you can get 10% off all board games.

Grasshopper is concentrating more on the miniature gaming, but they've got a pretty good collection of board games too. Not just the top sellers.

All 3 are going to dwarf in comparison to Compleat Strategist when it comes to pure stock. But for especially for TGT and Grasshopper, customer service and play space are light years ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Pinto
Portugal
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips everyone.

:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools

Oh, now when it comes to actual gaming, there's quite a few clubs & societies, several of which coordinate through www.meetup.com - just go for New York Boardgames & Card Games, which should hook you up to that group and a Brooklyn Group, a Dominion Group, a Settlers Group, and more.

Most of them meet in the back areas of friendly Cosi's (no set admission, just buy something if you like), but some meet in venues that have some kind of admission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls