Subject: Find a good game store in Montana rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kermit D' Frog
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Help! We are traveling to Montana next week and would like to find a great game store that sells Arkham Horror, etc. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell if this is an April Fool's post or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kermit D' Frog
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
No it is not an April Fool's joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Great Falls, there are two options (at least there were, 2 years ago), neither of them decent:

A toy/board game store on the main street downtown (lighter fare, game-wise)

and a small store in a strip mall on the east side of the road, near Wal-Mart in the Northwest part of the city. I can't remember much about it, except that I bought the new version of Acquire there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kermie wrote:
Help! We are traveling to Montana next week and would like to find a great game store that sells Arkham Horror, etc. Thanks.
I can't help you, but it would probably help others if you said which city/town you are headed to.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366/flgs-of-the-usa-a...

Montana's on there, check out the threads on that state. I posted on one of those threads about the two stores I mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kermit D' Frog
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Brandt
United States
Pittsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: game stores in Montana
This seemed like the most recent of the Montana posts and having just spent time on BGG looking for info on Montana stores I thought I would update the information.

I grew up in Montana and spent several years of my college and professional work life in Montana.  As you are likely aware Montana isn't a very populous state. This makes it difficult to find, and I imagine, run a store devoted toward games.  

When I lived there I watched the same pattern repeat itself.  A new store crops up, is run by nice folks, and then 2 or 3 years later it's gone.  Then a new one pops up...

Of the population centers in Montana there are four I equate with having the demographic to support a FLGS.   

Missoula with the influx of students for U of M and the fact that it's a nice place to live.

Bozeman with Montana State University and another nice place to live.

Great Falls with the ever-present Malmstrom Air Force Base and satellite colleges. 

Billings is also one of the larger population centers and when I lived in the state its was where my friends and i went to find such things.

You should, at any point in time find a FLGS or proxy for one in these places.

I just finished a visit to Great Falls and Bozeman so I will update you on those.  

As of summer 2012 here is what I found:

Great Falls

Amazing Toys

Don't bother.  It's your run-of-the-mill toy store with a few token gateway games like Axis and Allies,  Settlers of Catan, and Killer Bunnies

Action Cards and Collectibles

Nothing to see here but baseball cards and the occasional Magic card, move on

Kelly's Komix

This is more like it.  Nice store, seems to be in good upkeep.  They have the kinds of games you would hope for. Titles like Ascension, Battles of Westeros, Dominion all Flavors, Dixit, Warhammer, Flames of War, Chaos in the old world, and other contemporary titles. It's a small store but they appear to be trying.  

Bozeman

Rooks Comics and Games.

This is a respectable store. They carry a small but good selection of contemporary games.  They also have gaming tables for the miniature wargamers. As for titles I recall seeing Dominion, Takenoko, Quarriors, Agricola, Ascension, Kingdom Builder, Thunderstone, Small World, Le Havre, and Dominant Species.  They had a bunch more.  They also have a great selection of WarMachine and Hordes miniatures.

One last thought about game buying in Montana - no sales tax!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dan, I'm always on the look out for stores in Great Falls. I agree with your assessment of Amazing Toys. Great toy store, not so great game store.

Is Action Cards still in that old mall in the NW, not far from the Wal-Mart? Or did they move?

And Kelly Komix - that one I haven't seen or heard of before - and it's on a major shopping route.

Regardless, it's sometimes valuable to check out a non-local game store - they sometimes have games that you thought had disappeared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Wiegand
msg tools
mbmbmb
My husband and I opened a store about 9 months ago in Great Falls and I just found this post. We're called Know Dice and you can find us at 8 5th St So. If you are still in GF, my husband LOVES to spend his days talking about games with people!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nicole, I'll be sure to visit the next time I'm in your fantastic city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls