Renato Tavares
Brazil
Goiânia
Goiás
flag msg tools
Playing 'til death!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to Prague next week, and I would like to know if there is a Board Game Store in the city.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://geekdo.com/thread/120302/flgs-of-the-world-a-list-of-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arvey
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in Prague in October, and you can find a decent selection of games, some of which were never made available in the US or have gone out of print here. Don't expect them to be cheap though -- the EU is not a place to go for discount prices on games. The two stores I found to be best were the following:

Hras at Psaj Rokoko right near Wenceslas Square. This is a genuine board game store focusing on Eurogames and Ameritrash, with some abstracts (particularly Gigamic) thrown in to boot. This is by far your best bet.

Sparky's. It looks like it's a toy store, not a game store, but in the basement you can find a decent collection of games. It's more family and education oriented, but fare like Hey That's My Fish and Carcassonne are to be found.

I walked away from Prague a very happy man with a copy of Eclipse purchased at Hras, a (Czech!) copy of Ausgerechnet Uppsala from Sparky's, and a few otehr games either for me or as gifts for friends back in Turkey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Tavares
Brazil
Goiânia
Goiás
flag msg tools
Playing 'til death!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just returned from Prague today. Great and beautiful city!
I went to Hras, I they have a lot of games! There I bought Rise of Empires and Graenaland, and I had in my hands Stronghold, but in the last minute I didn't buy it... How I regret it now! cry
Yesterday, however, I found another store at PALADIUM shopping center: Svether. They have few eurogames, but there I found (and bought) Skybridge. However, my "best buy" there was a really fine copy of Mahjong, with a sturdy case and large pieces. I payed about U$ 70,00.
Thanks everybody for the tips!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen any posts more recent than 2010 about game stores in Prague so I wanted to confirm that indeed Hras is still there, right off Václavské náměstí (Wenceslaus Square). I just visited the store and loved it. It's got a really nice selection of modern BGG-style games, lots of great games for kids, and some jigsaw puzzles and other brain puzzles. There are a lot of cool kids' games and activities too that are only in Czech. The person we talked to (the owner?) was really nice and helpful and gave me some great recommendations. If you come to Prague and want a gaming fix, you might as well stop in, since you will probably be on the Square at some point anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls