United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer general started out as an Xbox game and now it's in board game form. I have never played the Xbox version, so I can't speak for that.

You get a large box - with mostly air. The big box is only there to hold an over sized tracking sheet. I would have preferred 2 individual tracking sheets, and a much smaller box. Besides that, you get a stack of double sided terrain cards. And 3 large decks of cards. And a pile of morale and other tracking tokens.

Setup is a pain. I'm going to say that right off the bat. Some games you just pull things out of the box and off you go. Not here. After you pick the scenario you want, you must build the map, finding each terrain tile and setting up the board. Each scenario also uses a specific deck. Each card has some numbers/letters at the bottom which indicate which deck it belongs to. They all belong to 2-5 different decks. So you must go through all the cards at the beginning of each game, and pull out the cards you need.

Goal

All the scenarios have a goal - perhaps it's capture the opposing base, destroy all enemy units or whatever. Most scenarios only last for 6 turns, so an average of 5min per turn per player gives it about an hour length. This doesn't count the 15min of setup time. I think that 5min per player turn is rather generous estimate. With lots of battles, it could easily hit 10min per player.

Cards

So you each have a deck with your units in it. Then there is the shared deck with action cards. Each turn you draw 4 cards, and can pay for more cards if you have less than 10.

Actions
Each of your units on the map (only one unit per terrain card) can then do something. Attack / Move / Dig In are the options, but many units can do more than one thing. Move twice, move and attack, auto dig in, are some of the special ones.

Hidden Units

Units start face down. If it moves next to an enemy unit, then it is revealed. If it supports an attack, then it is also revealed.

What are prestige points?

Every turn you get a number of prestige points. Every terrain card you control gives you prestige points. Most are just one, but cities and towns are worth more. You also get some for your HQ.

Attacking is a convoluted beast.
There are 16 steps to resolve each combat. You actually have to go through 1-10 twice - once for the attack, and again for the counter attack. You calculate your attack, any support from adjacent or ranged units, add your fire bonus for the terrain, any morale points you have on your card, add a random card modifier, and then you get the chance to play a single action card for it's effect and then a chance to discard a card to add it's combat value. And while you are doing this, the defender is adding up his defense. (Total Attack Value - Total Defense value ) divided by 2 is the amount of damage the defender takes. And then you go through it all again, switching sides, with the defender firing. If the defender is dug in, then they get to fire first. If the defender takes more damage than the attacker did, then they must retreat, and the attacker can move in.
I'm sure that on the Xbox all this is calculated in one easy step, but in a board game form, I think that it shouldn't have been a straight conversion. It would be nice to simply/combine some of the steps. Once you do it a few times, it becomes easier, but still it's a long process, slowing down the games.

What do I think?

I like the game, but I think that it's a bit long and complicated for what I think it is trying to be. The long setup and long battles seem to be longer than they could be. I realize that the long setup is simply part of the trade off, as you have lots of re playability, as you can make many different maps, and you only use a quarter of the cards in a given game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
the xbox game is very well done and fast. The only thing I wish was that a) you could skip the animations and b) more people played it online.
That said, playing against the computer is fun, and its cheap as shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
btw, if anyone does have this game on XBOX live, let me know and Ill play you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
btw, if anyone does have this game on XBOX live, let me know and Ill play you.

Very nice review layout Andrew!

If several of you don't have the game yet on Xbox live, who would be interested in a contest to get it?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berek Halfhand wrote:

If several of you don't have the game yet on Xbox live, who would be interested in a contest to get it?!

Would it come with an Xbox? Any chance of a PC port?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Berek Halfhand wrote:

Same here. I would definitely be in if I could get an Xbox to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Inks
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Berek Halfhand wrote:

Isn't this a reimplementation of the PC game Panzer General?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Brother Narsis wrote:
Trump wrote:
Berek Halfhand wrote:

Isn't this a reimplementation of the PC game Panzer General?

Hi Brother Narsis!

The spirit of the Panzer General: Allied Assault game for both XBLA and as a Board Game, is based on the previous games in the series, though it really is a unique an new game entirely of its own.

For example, Allied Assault (and the upcoming sequel, Russian Assault), is designed as a board game with cards, which the original games in the series do not combine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Smith
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I haven't played the board game version, but after reading a few reviews it definitely seems like this is one that's just meant best as a video game.

I picked up the Xbox version and it's a nice, fairly fast paced and light war game. Regular wargame tactics do OK, you can get beat up by die rolls sometimes, but overall it doesn't feel too luck heavy. I'd say it's worth checking out the Xbox game even if you've been disappointed with the board game version.

But yeah, literally nobody plays it online I guess. I've never found a game going

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the xbox version, but IMHO computerized version of game take out all the calculating and the fussyness of board games. Seems like the same move that takes 10 minutes to calculate in person takes seconds on a computer. I think the board game may have been received better without the xbox version just because xbox does all the math and support.
Seems like its tougher to get someone to play this board game than it is on the xbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.