Subject: Any good game stores in Montreal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Zinzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am heading there this weekend with friends and would like to see what's around. Thanks, all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxer wrote:
I am heading there this weekend with friends and would like to see what's around. Thanks, all!
http://www.levalet.com/

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Skillern
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
There is a good one Joung St

Have fun
Martyn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fralish
United States
Putnam Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:

Definitely Le Valet. A great game store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Valet is good for selection, but their prices aren't great. "Aux Jeux" in Dollard-des-Ormeaux is easily the best store in the city. He will order anything for you if it's not in stock and you can't beat the prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fralim wrote:
Moviebuffs wrote:

Definitely Le Valet. A great game store.
I have to agree. Best in the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Valet D'Coeur really has an excellent selection but as previously said, not always the best prices. That being said, i had some amazing deals with them in the past so it pays to get to know the place. Some employees are in my opinion just haughty and unhelpful so do not hesitate to ask several vendors if the first one you talk to is moody. Several of them are really nice. That issue seems to have gotten better lately but it was once enough for me not to set foot in the place for two years. If you are looking for something specific you cannot find on the shelves, do not hesitate to ask because the store back storage room has almost always provided what i wanted. So good selection, average prices, rollercoaster service. But the place to go if you are looking for something obscure or out of print.

I am also a regular of La Tour des Jeux at the Eaton Center mall downtown. It is a small place with a limited but decent stock (no old games there), good prices (they usually try to match or beat Le Valet prices) and the service has always been top notch and courteous, and that from all the employees. This is the place i buy most of my games and like the most for regular shopping. It is usually just lightly crowded as they do not sell CCGs or miniatures, which is actually a plus in my book.

Carta Magica also sells boardgames but after several tries i stopped going there. The selection is usually limited and turnover slow, prices are usually high and the service has almost always been terrible. Every vendor i talked to has been usually unhelpful and/or obnoxious. Everytime i asked i question i felt like i was bothering them. One of them actually hung up on me once when i was inquiring about the availability of a product, i guess i was interrupting him during a game. And indeed it feels like they are gamers that opened a store to feed their addiction and get retailer prices but failed to take a customer service course. The only time some employees were decent enough was when i went there the first time to sell old M:TG cards and they actually did not try to screw me. Unsurprisingly they mostly cater to CCGs players with a bit of miniature gaming and boardgames on the side......

Other places you might want to visit include Aux Jeux (already mentioned), Strategy Games (Mostly a Chess store but some boardgames and sometime decent specials), Gamer's World (Mostly miniatures but a decent selection of boardgames with good prices).

And you can also have a look at a previous thread :
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/359378/game-store-near-m...

Hope it helps !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there a month ago for business and visited Le Valet and Strategy Games both on Saint Denis Street. Both stores have a table/shelf with games on sale both in French and in English.

Although the selection is bigger at Le Valet, I liked the people a lot more at Strategy Games and I believe that proceeds go to supporting chess in schools/being taught to kids.

Coming from the US where prices online were more competitive, I only picked up Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game in French at Strategy Games vs Le Valet. I almost bought Carson City there too based on the rave reviews it was getting from the Strategy Games staff but ended up holding back and getting it online here in the us and saving some money. Cool game, by the way

Regardless, Saint Denis is an amazing shopping street - comic books, cafes.... Just awesome.

Have a good trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Zinzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! Great suggestions. St. Denis sounds like the street to go. Easier to "slip away" from my friends while on the same street (and they have something else to do) without going on one of my classic nerdy game store hunts that my friends tolerate.

Thanks again!

Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls