Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Lohse
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Silver ReviewerMicrobadge: Copper Boardgame UploaderMicrobadge: White Star Rising: Operation Cobra fanMicrobadge: Silver GeeklisterMicrobadge: Copper Geeklister
Invasion Norway is a redevelopment of the system from Britain Stands Alone, and like its predecessor it crams a lot into one game. First of all, there is the portion of the campaign dealing with the struggle for control of the air... although the German player will have a big advantage in this area. Second of all, there is the naval war... the Germans have to get troops to all the various destinations while the British player has to stop them and get his own troops to Norway. Finally, there is the land combat game, where the Germans try to take their objectives while the Norwegians and British try to hold the line and even counterattack. As with BSA, I:N manages to do at least a decent job with each of these areas. The battle for control of the air is interesting, although it generally becomes an effort by the German player to use his superiority in this area to make up for a lack of troops and to keep units in supply. The land combat system also works well. But what really makes the game work is the need to succeed in all areas to win. Success on land doesn't matter if you can't keep your units in supply or alternatively if your opponent can keep bringing over more and more reinforcements to crush your ever weakening defenses. Success in the naval theater is going to prove difficult without at least some air support to wear down your opponent or to keep him from doing the same to you. You really have to pay attention to all areas of the battle or you will probably watch your best laid plans fall apart.

As in BAS, there are a lot of variant options. Basically, there is a large list to choose from for both sides [a more prepared/alert Norway or additional British forces for example] with a corresponding number of victory points that the other side gets if chosen. In other words, you can make your side stronger but you then are going to have to achieve more to get a victory. This design lets both sides pick and choose one or many variants at a time without having to make big changes to the objectives for either... as such many the various options will work with each other. As a result, there is a lot of replay value in this game as you can decide to see if having X added to your forces would really make a difference.

I find I enjoy the early stages of the game the best... when the German player is trying to juggle tons of objectives with a razor thin margin to accomplish each of them. The Allied player has to overcome surprise and massive German aerial superiority to try to hold enough key areas to setup a defense and maybe even counterattack. How the earlier stages of the battle go really determine the course of the campaign. If the Germans do poorly, they are going to struggle to expand on their initial gains. If they do well early on, they have a chance to really use their airpower to crush the allied resistance.

One other nice item in the game is the VERY extended example of play... in effect a couple of turns worth. It is very helpful when learning the system by letting you follow along through pretty much every time of combat imaginable while also showing one possible German attack plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Felgueroso
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mechanical EngineerMicrobadge: WargamerMicrobadge: Atletico Madrid fanMicrobadge: Astronomy enthusiastMicrobadge: Swimming fan
Re: A very interesting game
Hi Matthew

I agree totally with you. We have played 6 turns of Invasion Norway last weekend and we enjoyed a lot. The game is very interesting and the system is solid and portrays the interaction air-land-sea very well.

I have a question about the rules:

According to the Campaing Scenario, the Allied player cannot make Amphibious Assaults in this Scenario, but I have read the AAR of C3i 7, where the Allied assaulted Stavenger by sea.

Can the Allies make amphibious assaults during the campaign game or not?

Thanks

Armando

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lohse
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Silver ReviewerMicrobadge: Copper Boardgame UploaderMicrobadge: White Star Rising: Operation Cobra fanMicrobadge: Silver GeeklisterMicrobadge: Copper Geeklister
I'd have to go back and look at the rules... I can't remember. It might be quicker to post your question in the GMT folder over at CSW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Guns, Dice, Butter fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: Triumph of Chaos fanMicrobadge: First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society member
Thank you for this review. I also really enjoyed Britain Stands Alone , so will give this a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls